View Full Version : HP or Dell Poll

cab124
10-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Just want to see which way everyone is leaning.....

Kati Compton
10-13-2004, 08:16 PM
I just can't deal with the touchpad on the HP. My real quandry was X50v vs. a730w...

jasondearyou
10-13-2004, 11:28 PM
that is laughable

HP, obviously you could afford the mistake.

ignar
10-14-2004, 12:41 AM
I have a 4700 which was paid by my work. But, if I buy today with my money, I will go for a X50v. Two are pretty comparable featurewise, and I don't want to pay $150 or possibly $250 (after probable coupon and discount) more for 4" screen. Also, X50v has D-buttons.

Darius Wey
10-14-2004, 02:16 AM
The hx4700 used to be up there on my "WOAH! NOW THAT'S A COOL DEVICE TO OWN!" list, but in recent times, I have decided otherwise.

I'm all for the X50 over the hx4700.

cab124
10-14-2004, 03:23 AM
So far it looks like about a three to one in favor of the Dell. I am leaning toward the Dell as well. At the same time, there is a part of me that really wants to just live with my 2215 for another year. I am torn.

Darius Wey
10-14-2004, 10:15 AM
So far it looks like about a three to one in favor of the Dell. I am leaning toward the Dell as well. At the same time, there is a part of me that really wants to just live with my 2215 for another year. I am torn.

Oh now that's different. You never told us that you had an h2215 to begin with. And now I've changed my stance - stick with the h2215! It is still one of the best devices out there! :D

Kowalski
10-15-2004, 06:41 AM
you should have added asus a730 to the poll :wink:

Wiggster
10-15-2004, 07:10 AM
The touchpad is growing on me, but I miss my gaming.

I'm still loyal to HP, since I've loved the supportr they've offered to me, and the quality of the other products I owned before my 4700.

cab124
10-15-2004, 03:38 PM
The touchpad is growing on me, but I miss my gaming.

I'm still loyal to HP, since I've loved the supportr they've offered to me, and the quality of the other products I owned before my 4700.

How does the touchpad work for reading ebooks? The d-pad on my 2215 is far too sensitive (even after adjusting the sensitivity). In programs like Laridian's PocketBible, when I try to use the d-pad to scroll down the page, it will often times jump to the next chapter, causing me to loose my place. VERY annoying.

As far as HP quality, its not bad....though I am getting ready to order my third set of side grips from HP because they keep falling off. I have always thought that the 2215 was close to perfect. If I could get a 2215 with built-in wifi, a VGA screen, side grips that don't fall off, and a d-pad that worked properly, I would be completely satisfied.

delfuhd
10-15-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm a diehard HP-er, two thirds of my pocket pc's have been HP, and well looking at benchmarks, I'm not really happy with Dell's performance.. It always seems to me that Dell is a nice company, but it's large popularity and cheap prices seem to sacrifice quality.. Maybe that's just me but I just don't trust having a Dell pocket pc.. Maybe if I was able to handle one in my local Staples or something, I'd start to trust it and I'd feel more comfortable, but the fact that I don't even know how large it is compared to me 2215 doesn't sit well.

I'm just going to have to keep telling myself to hold onto my 2215, until VGA ppc's get loooowwer in price or until my 2215 blows up :devilboy: :wink:

Kati Compton
10-15-2004, 04:31 PM
but the fact that I don't even know how large it is compared to me 2215 doesn't sit well.
Well, there's comparison pics to show you, though it's not the same as holding it. Stores by me don't even carry the 4700 AFAIK, so it's the same problem.

gregh2000
10-16-2004, 09:44 AM
I am all for HP. Working at CompUSA lets me play with the hp handhelds and see the dells when customers bring them in looking for accessories. I have to try not to laugh at them for buying such a unique device and tell them well if you had this hp i have tons of accessories for it. LOL. And i can't even say that dell is doing an apple thing, because apple has a place in retail. I am all about getting what i want now. I pay for it i want it now, none of this online order stuff. So what i am trying to say is i would do another hp just because i can get stuff for it locally, like cases, batteries, cradles, styli, whatever... i am all about instant gratification.

Darius Wey
10-16-2004, 09:49 AM
I am all for HP. Working at CompUSA lets me play with the hp handhelds and see the dells when customers bring them in looking for accessories. I have to try not to laugh at them for buying such a unique device and tell them well if you had this hp i have tons of accessories for it. LOL. And i can't even say that dell is doing an apple thing, because apple has a place in retail. I am all about getting what i want now. I pay for it i want it now, none of this online order stuff. So what i am trying to say is i would do another hp just because i can get stuff for it locally, like cases, batteries, cradles, styli, whatever... i am all about instant gratification.

Interesting principle...yet may I ask?

If HP sold a kids bicycle, and you could buy all sorts of nice decals and covers for it, yet Dell, which does not sell its products at a retail store, sold a Ferrari, yet very few accessories were available for it, which would you choose?

EDIT: Sorry...I know it's a very "apples-and-oranges" concept, yet the principle still remains the same to say the least. Personally, I'd like to purchase the device based on what I get, and then later consider what I can get to complement it, rather than the other way around.

KimVette
10-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Again, there ARE Dell dealers (not big chains but independent shops) but Dell dealers rarely remain Dell dealers because in the resllers' agreement, Dell states very plainly that they WILL contact the dealer's customer to sell them upgrades, and they often cannibalize their own dealer network by offering the customer dealer cost on upgrades. By doing so they alienate their dealers.

That Dell does not sell through retail is a lie. The truth is they destroy their own retail market by angering their dealers. The only Dell dealers who remain Dell dealers are integrators who hold state and federal contracts.

Kati Compton
10-16-2004, 04:36 PM
EDIT: Sorry...I know it's a very "apples-and-oranges" concept, yet the principle still remains the same to say the least. Personally, I'd like to purchase the device based on what I get, and then later consider what I can get to complement it, rather than the other way around.
I try to consider both. But really, Dell and other places DO sell accessories for the Dell PDAs. Just not at CompUSA. You have to get them (generally) online, which presumably isn't that huge of a problem because the person had to buy the PDA online.

My problem is that I like to actually *see* and *hold* things before I buy... But that didn't overpower my "fiscal responsibility" when I bought my X5, or my distaste for the 4700s touchpad when I ordered my X50v.

petvas
10-16-2004, 08:51 PM
I am still loyal to the iPaqs. I believe they are the best..
The 4700 is far superior than any other ppc in the market...

acollet
10-16-2004, 08:57 PM
I've had the Dell X30 before pimping it to get the rx3715. The ONLY reason I wanted the rx3715 is due to the built in camera. If it did not have the built in camera I would not have jumped over from the Dell. The Dell IMHO has the same quality as the hp for all intent purposes and they offer advance repacelemt , something hp does not provide in the base price. As for looks, the x30 looked great in a Sena case. But, when it all comes down to it; its the price thats gonna determine what someone purchases. As for CompUSA that is one place I would NEVER buy anything from. Terrible return policy, highly over priced vs the internet for same product.

TMann
10-17-2004, 01:48 AM

All things being equal, I too would prefer a device that I could purchase in a store, rather than by online sellers. And I think that it is often worth a few extra dollars to buy a device in the store, rather than online.

But in this case, there are enough differences between the Dell and HP, that for some people it will be worth the extra hassle of getting the Dell. Besides, many accessories are only available online anyways, (aftermarket batteries, cases, etc.)

TMann

Darius Wey
10-17-2004, 04:51 AM
I try to consider both. But really, Dell and other places DO sell accessories for the Dell PDAs. Just not at CompUSA. You have to get them (generally) online, which presumably isn't that huge of a problem because the person had to buy the PDA online.

My problem is that I like to actually *see* and *hold* things before I buy... But that didn't overpower my "fiscal responsibility" when I bought my X5, or my distaste for the 4700s touchpad when I ordered my X50v.

I agree. I have a couple of accessories that I purchased from Dell for my Inspiron laptop. In principle, while you can also purchase over the phone, the fact that you can't see what you buy is something that should be considered - which is what you raised.

There are a number of Dell warehouses scattered around countries which you can supposedly walk into and have a squint at their products. However, these warehouses are sparse to say the least. I guess ultimately, you have to take reviews and other people's opinions as a stepping stone from which you decide whether you purchase Dell accessories or not.

gregh2000
10-17-2004, 05:03 AM
I like how it was said it is nice to hold and touch the product before purchasing. We could say the same thing about the ferrari and the bike. Would you want to buy something based upon a picture of it, or what you have seen. You go to a store and see what you are about to buy, you can touch it and see if you like it, maybe the dell has better features, but doesn't fit in someone's hand as well as an hp did. Personally i would pay the difference and buy it at the store. Also if something was wrong with my purchase i could just go into the store and get it fixed, or return it whatever. For me to purchase a handheld i want to see it in person. If i can't then i don't really consider purchasing it. This may be because a while back i purchased a sharp mobilon 4100 online it was an upgrade from my compaq something, i don't remember the model number, and although the sharp had better specs, i didn't like the way it felt, i liked the compaq better. so when i buy something now i like to see what it is like and not look at a picture of what i am about to shell out $500+ for.

gregh2000
10-17-2004, 05:06 AM
so i guess all in all maybe there are better handhelds out there but until i can see them in person i won't be buying one. so maybe dell should partner with some resellers and get their product out there. also get support out there, i can't tell you how many people come in to buy a new laptop and are pissed at how thier dell experience was. they buy a toshiba and come back to thank us for being there for them in the process of buying a new pc. or i suppose dell could pull a gateway, get your product out there, wait until people are buying the products, then close all the stores that people were relying on for support, lol.

Darius Wey
10-17-2004, 05:13 AM
Hehe. Dell isn't that bad. But you do raise a fair point about wanting to see the device first before you make the purchase. When I purchased my Inspiron, I was fortunate enough to be able to see my friend's one first before I went and bought it, so that put my mind at ease knowing what the form factor would be.

However, I suppose everyone has their different attitudes toward this thing. If I were to purchase a new Pocket PC now, I'd have my heart set on a Dell right now. Not that I've seen any of them before, but that's just me I suppose. There are many, like you, who would rather see the product first, which is probably why HP is the more preferable brand to go for. For me, I'm more of a "features-first" customer than anything else. :roll:

gregh2000
10-17-2004, 05:33 AM
you are exactly right, everyone has their own way to decide. my friends tell me i am more form over function, mostly because i own a mac, lol. so yeah that is probably why hp is the more popular unit, just because it can be seen and played with before purchase.

sparky92
10-17-2004, 10:45 PM
One point that doesn't seem to have been mentioned during the Dell versus HP debate is the warranty provided.

In the UK the HX4700 comes with a 2-year warranty, rather than the 1 year provided by most pda manufacturers, including Dell. It seems to me that this taken together with the larger battery and better software bundle would indicate that the difference in price between it and the x50v is not so great after all...

Jeff00000168
10-20-2004, 04:26 AM
X50v, no doubt. It's cheaper, smaller and better looking! The HX4700 topped some benchmarks and so did the X50v. It may not be as fast as the HX4700 but it surely is fast still! Besides, at $200 more expensive than the X50v, the HX4700 better be faster. One thing also that bothered me about the HX4700 besides the touch pad is the location of the IR port which is located at the bottom by the touch pad rather than the top side. The Nevo remote controller is an excellent remote but how the heck am I suppose to use the remote??? Backwards? :huh:

The X50v has some short comings too but I'll just keep this short. Bottom line, they're both excellent Pocket PCs! This is just IMHO! :)

sunnyawesome
10-20-2004, 08:36 AM
HP has manf wonderful products like 2215 and 4150.
but it has a host of probs with it's new models.
Thouchpad on its new pda is *********** !!
Dell do understand out needs :twisted:

*** Post edited by moderator KC for language

Phillip Dyson
10-21-2004, 12:12 AM
To be honest, I think that I'm leaning towards the X50v.

I went around to all the major retailers looking for the 4700 and finally located one at an Office Depot. The girl had to take it out of the box for me. I have to say that it does look really nice. To me, its allure is that I keep imagining it siting landscape on my desk while Windows Media Player plays music, with Speakers plugged in. Its symmetry is growing on me.
However, the touchpad and price are what keep pushing me away. Also, from what I've heard, the screen is better.

Unfortunately neither seem to lend themselves to landscape gameplay. Not with any game that may require 2-hands. Maybe someone should develope a CF slot controller that you can plug in to provide extra controls.

I'm probably going to get he Dell, because of the price and the "potential" of the 2700 graphics chip. The price more so because if the lifetime of a Consumer device is essentially 18 months, then in order to minimize my losses, the lower price seems to be the right decision. Especially since there is no guarantee that either device will be obsolete once WM2005 comes out.

Boy where did all those words come from? 8O

Palmguy
10-21-2004, 12:43 AM
The ol' credit card was burning a hole in my pocket when the hx4700 hit the market and it was time for an upgrade, so I got it. And I love it. Screen is perfect, metal case is awesome, and I love the feel in my hand. It's fast enough, and it is the first PPC I've ever owned that hooked up with the DHCP function of my router. I'd probably like the Dell as well if I had it, and if they were both available at the same time I'd probably get the Dell just because of the price. I'm used to the touchpad (I actually like it for eBook reading), and I've never played games that depended on a D-Pad so that is a moot point for me.

HP has manf wonderful products like 2215 and 4150.
but it has a host of probs with it's new models.
Thouchpad on its new pda is *********** !!
Dell do understand out needs :twisted:

*** Post edited by moderator KC for language

Watch your language...

Kati Compton
10-21-2004, 03:27 AM
If the HP didn't have the touchpad, I might have gotten it. I'm not as worried about the price difference - I consider my X50v to have cost closer to $600 because I felt the extended battery was a requirement, which I wouldn't necessarily require with the 4700. So to me it's more of a $50 difference. I would have paid $50 more for a 4" screen. But the touchpad lost the sale. I'm not too upset about that, as I'm still a bit upset about the SE upgrade fiasco - not that they didn't offer it, but the way they dealt with it.

Too bad the Tosh 830 won't be sold in the US anytime soon that I can tell. Or, maybe that's a good thing because it helped me make my decision. ;)

Deemo
10-21-2004, 03:49 AM
Interesting to see the 4700 gaining ground over the last few days.

Two reasons I am leaning to the 4700 from a cost basis:

1. As a consultant who gets paid by the hour, I can't tell you how much Dell has cost me going through hours of support "hoops".
This completely blew away the supposed discounts.

2. As a potential 2200 upgrader, I won't have to buy a bunch of new sync and/or charge cables.

3. Won't be buying a high capacity battery.

All in all, the unit is cheaper for me in the long haul. I may not even need a case - but I doudt it.

Phillip Dyson
10-21-2004, 02:04 PM
When I finally located the 4700 at an Office Depot, I got a look at the plastic screen cover. I have to say that I think after a while it would become an annoyance and get in the way. It seem pretty flimsy. If I did get the 4700 I would probably end up buying a case.

On another note, I bought another battery for my 2200 that I never used. Does anyone know if this battery will fit in the 4700?

sparky92
10-22-2004, 02:27 AM
I received my HX4700 yesterday and love it. I could'nt make my mind up between it and the x50v, but now I have no regrets. Fantastic screen, great build quality, good security, and useful features like the ability to use bluetooth headphones.

I was surprised by how thin the unit was, having read lots of reviews and postings complaining about its largeness. I have owned both an H2210 and H4150 and am used to small units, but I'm happy that the thinness of the HX4700 seems to counteract the height and width of it so it still feels quite compact.

The nav pad doesn't work in exactly the same way as a normal touchpad on a laptop. For instance, when in "cursor" mode the distance travelled when you swipe the nav pad depends upon the speed in which its done, so that the faster you swipe, the greater the distance covered by the cursor. Works really well once you get used to it. I would recommend that new users take the time to configure the nav pad in its various modes in order to get the best performance out out of it.

Don't Panic!
10-22-2004, 05:41 PM
I'm going with Dell for the price and styling. I wish HP hadn't let the COPMPAQ iPAQ design team go after the merger. What's with these square boxes now? What happened to pizzazz?

Don't Panic!
Bobby