View Full Version : Free Mobile Application Development Toolkit

Andy Sjostrom
10-14-2004, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f4328333-0fd4-4348-88c0-39d10fb64f0a&displaylang=en' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en</a><br /><br /></div>Microsoft has released a development toolkit packed with valuable resources. The toolkit provides the resources you need to start building mobile applications for Smartphone and Pocket PC devices.<br /><br />The kit includes: <br /><li> Windows Mobile Development Guided Tour <br /><li> QuickStarts <br /><li> Hands-on Labs <br /><li> Technical Articles <br /><li> Business Success Stories <br /><li> Information about Developer Tools and SDKs <br /><li> Software and Special Offers <br /><br />It's a 50 MB download... ehrrm... Sorry, who cares nowadays? Is there anyone out there on a dial up modem line?

Darius Wey
10-14-2004, 11:12 AM
It's a 50 MB download... ehrrm... Sorry, who cares nowadays? Is there anyone out there on a dial up modem line?

Are you kidding?!? I can't get ADSL because I'm on pair gain lines. And no cable on my street. :( But I'll be getting Wi-Max as soon as it gets rolled out in my city. :) Or cable if I move house soon. :P

Peter Foot
10-14-2004, 11:32 AM
If you are in the US you can also order the kit on DVD for just the cost of delivery. The DVD includes a lot more stuff than the download such as a trial version of Visual Studio 2003. I've been assured that this will also be available to order outside the US soon.

Peter

Dogo
10-14-2004, 02:39 PM
It's a 50 MB download... ehrrm... Sorry, who cares nowadays? Is there anyone out there on a dial up modem line?

Yes sir, here in Argentina more than 50% of internet users have dial up modem lines.

Sad, but thatīs how it is.

:bad-words:

the_rapture
10-14-2004, 03:09 PM
The price I have to pay for my 5 acres and country living. I'm waiting on a phone that supports Verizon Wireless' 800k network or something better than Directway (OneWay).

Jimmy Dodd
10-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi, my name is Jim *hi Jim* and I still have a dial up ISP. :oops:

I do have speedy access at work so I'm not completely stuck. :lol:

Kati Compton
10-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Hey - I'm glad to see this developer package. While the quantity of developer information is high in the VS2003 help files, it's not always very useful. A lot of basic stuff seems to be left out.

Here's a question for the group - anyone know who I contact for tech support on EVC++ 4.0, a free product? I think I'm SOL here, but I'm really frustrated because my problem is that I cannot INSTALL it. The installer gets most of the way through, and then tells me I have insufficient memory to proceed (I have 768MB in my laptop). I searched to see if there was already a tech support item about this on the MSDN site, but couldn't find anything. :(

Jimmy Dodd
10-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Here's a question for the group - anyone know who I contact for tech support on EVC++ 4.0, a free product? I think I'm SOL here, but I'm really frustrated because my problem is that I cannot INSTALL it. The installer gets most of the way through, and then tells me I have insufficient memory to proceed (I have 768MB in my laptop). I searched to see if there was already a tech support item about this on the MSDN site, but couldn't find anything. :(

Have you tried the VC newsgroups? They are usually have pretty heavy traffic. I don't know that MS officially supports the free IDEs. For what it's worth I have VC++ 4.0 installed on my desktop with &lt;500MB of RAM.

Kati Compton
10-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Have you tried the VC newsgroups? They are usually have pretty heavy traffic. I don't know that MS officially supports the free IDEs. For what it's worth I have VC++ 4.0 installed on my desktop with &lt;500MB of RAM.
I did look briefly and didn't see anything that related. :(

I suppose I'll try working on it again when I have a little more time.

Jimmy Dodd
10-14-2004, 07:57 PM
I did look briefly and didn't see anything that related. :(

I suppose I'll try working on it again when I have a little more time.

You should bring it up as a question. I know a lot of MS folks seem to hang out there. It usually gets pretty quick response when somebody yells "Help!"

Good luck.

yawanag
10-15-2004, 01:27 AM
[quote=Andy Sjostrom]

I gave up on waiting for DSL in my area. I've been waiting for three years. I get connected via my PDA faster than my ISP.

gt24
10-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Dial-up is all I have when I am not at college. Luckly there is a nice lab at college that has the ability to save files to a CD-R... and also accepts jump drives (yes, there are labs at my college that block USB ports... :(). Eitherways, I do have broadband in my room, yet if I wasn't at college now, I would be singing the dial-up blues.

So, more people than you think have dial-up, even in this day and age. At least my pocket pc has a CF modem, so I don't really have to be annoyed at having dial-up.

Busdriver
10-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Not that I ever would, (or could for that matter) but what exactly would I need to write software for the PPC? I'm not talking about NSBasic or any kind of intepreter or scripting language.