Darius Wey
10-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Would it be safe to say that by the end of 2005, the
pocket pc's will be running xp pro and have 1ghz+
processors like the current handtops?

After using the latest 624Mhz pocket pc with mobile 2003,
and then the latest 1ghz handtop with xp pro it seems
inevitable.

The OQO certainly is one device that catches the eyes of many, although I'd think that by the end of 2005, Pocket PCs would most definitely be around and still running an OS built on the Windows CE code.

Windows CE 5 will almost certainly make its debut onto consumer Pocket PC devices and I'd expect to see this sometime next year. Sure, some adventurous company out there may make a "Pocket PC" running a 1GHz processor with Windows XP, but I don't think they would call this a Pocket PC by name. Hence, your use of the term, "handtop".

Kowalski
10-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Would it be safe to say that by the end of 2005, the
pocket pc's will be running xp pro and have 1ghz+
processors like the current handtops?

windows CE and windows XP are totally different and cant be compared. both have different UI and for different audiences.
it doesnt matter how powerfull the devices will be by the end of 2005, and i dont want to use windows XP on my handheld device. i am happy with the way windows CE operates in my hands :)

Underwater Mike
10-13-2004, 02:57 PM
If I could afford the Sony U70 with XP Tablet installed, I think I'd go that route and forget about my PPC. Of all the PPC features, seems like I use the PIM functions the least -- I'm always trying to get this thing to be a laptop replacement.

spinedoc
10-13-2004, 03:18 PM
I had the U70 with Tablet OS installed, it was insanely functional. There is no comparision at all. The only problem is that handtops are just not there yet in terms of size or battery life. If a handtop comes out that is the same size as even a 4705 or e805 then that would be incredible. Otherwise the handtops seem to skirt too much between ultraportable laptop and PPC, with neither function being outstanding.

If and when handtops are slimmed down to PPC sizes, and the battery is improved, I dont see the PPC surviving very long.

Underwater Mike
10-13-2004, 06:32 PM
The Sharp MM20 is actually a great size for an ultraportable, but not usable in the Tablet PC/PPC sense with a stylus.

Do you still have the Sony? If not, why did you ditch it?

I had the U70 with Tablet OS installed, it was insanely functional. There is no comparision at all. The only problem is that handtops are just not there yet in terms of size or battery life. If a handtop comes out that is the same size as even a 4705 or e805 then that would be incredible. Otherwise the handtops seem to skirt too much between ultraportable laptop and PPC, with neither function being outstanding.

If and when handtops are slimmed down to PPC sizes, and the battery is improved, I dont see the PPC surviving very long.

spinedoc
10-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Like I said, it seemed to skirt either side without fully embracing either. Input was not functional enough to be used as a laptop without carrying around a bulky keyboard, which makes it close to the size of my Sony TR laptop. Pen input was not as good as a Tablet PC due to it not having a true Tablet screen or the Tablet OS by default. As a Pocket PC it was a tad too large and heavy, and the battery life was short especially with the wifi.

But functionally it ran circles around the Pocket PC, I mean it literally made the Pocket PC platform look like an abacus. The OQO looks like it is making progress, but its just not there yet. In a year or 2 I bet we see Handtops which are just slighly larger than a e805, but include a hard drive, full OS, etc. At the rate which Pocket PC evolves, the handtop will pass it very quickly.

http://engadget.com/entry/9534321442142743/
This is my new favorite, Linux OS, built in 4gb HD, and a 7 hour battery life, amazing package in a Pocket PC size with a full keyboard. Who says it cannot be done?

Underwater Mike
10-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Yeah, that Zaurus is great. I just wish I wasn;t so clueless WRT Linux. I tried to set up a home server system with SuSE but gave up and resorted to XP. Not my ideal, but at least I know what's going on...

primaz
10-15-2004, 09:27 PM
To give my opinion regarding your post and some of the replies:

The reason I use a HP 728 Jornada and have used virtualy every PDA is that I was able to replace my laptop needs. I needed a basic laptop functionality but wanted the long 14 hour life, instant on, and in a form factor I can put inside a suit jacket pocket. The features like instant on, long battery life, and pen input etc. are not available on XP. The closest to that is an XP Tablet but they are too large. I do hope the new OS encourages MFG's to build HPC form factor devices as for me I find the palm size devices not adequate nor adequate even with add on keyboards. There is room for additional form factors for more business users like myself.

The OQO device is kind of cool but not practicle as they have a terrible form factor. It is cool that is such a small XP device but would only be functional for business users if they made it into the form factor of a HP 728, then that would be cool and usable but would not have the instant on of CE devices.

Tablets XP's are nice, we own a Toshiba m200 with all the expanded ram, memory etc. but for me I really want a portable device that fits in my jacket pocket.

To me the best would be a Pocketpc OS that was built into something that resembled the old Psion handhelds as they were much more slim line and lighter than my HP728. I would buy that no question about price.

Stephen Beesley
10-16-2004, 11:37 AM
If I could afford the Sony U70 with XP Tablet installed, I think I'd go that route and forget about my PPC. Of all the PPC features, seems like I use the PIM functions the least -- I'm always trying to get this thing to be a laptop replacement.

Oh...... damn do I want one of these. Even with the limitation it is just too cool to resist.

SteveHoward999
10-18-2004, 06:40 PM
it doesnt matter how powerfull the devices will be by the end of 2005, and i dont want to use windows XP on my handheld device. i am happy with the way windows CE operates in my hands :)

I have to travel a lot for work. I love my "desktop replacement" laptop ... it is my entire office in one. But if I could replace it with a PDA-sized machine and lose only a minimum of features, so that I could load up all my work and take it anywhere with me in my trouser pocket, then develop on the plane or plug into a keyboard, mouse and monitor anywhere when I arrive at my clients.... that would be incredible!

I think I want to see products like the OQO mature a little before I buy one, but I will have one soon.

... by the way the work I do requires that I must use the Windows OS ... well I could install Virtual PC on a Mac but where is the sense in that??