View Full Version : Intel On Pocket PCs' Processors

Janak Parekh
10-13-2004, 05:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/170322.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/develop.../eng/170322.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The Pocket PC platform by Microsoft has evolved- starting from the original Handheld PC to the current Windows* Mobile 2003 (also popularly known as Pocket PC 2003). However, not obvious to many users are the "brains" that power the Pocket PCs they hold in their hands. In this article, I will trace through the different generations of Pocket PCs and the different processors that power them (such as ARM, MIPS, and SH3) to the current Intel XScaleŽ processor. I will talk about the advantages of the Intel XScale processor and briefly discuss the three different families - PXA27x, PXA26x, and PXA255."</i><br /><br />This may be old-hat for those of you who've been closely tracking the XScales as they've come out, but if you've wondered how the Pocket PC processors have evolved over time and what all this terminology means, and more importantly what it means for compatibility, it's a great read.

KayMan2k
10-13-2004, 03:13 PM
I have skimmed over the article, very in-depth and an excellent history of modern handhelds. But there are some points that didn't seem right. The beginning of the articles implies that PocketPC 2003 is based on WinCE 3.0, isn't it based on WinCE 4.2?

They also didn't list any PocketPCs before the 2000 OS was released. This is correct by naming convention, but they skipped over the pocketpc version that had the interface of Win95 in a 240x320 viewport.

But being an Intel artcile is focused on Intel CPUs and had a very nice overview of the PXA processor line and what has changed throughout.

whatsnext?
10-13-2004, 06:53 PM
weird.... an article about pocket pcs isnt even viewable on one.....

(4155)

Talon
10-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Most ironic really since I've been in the room when microsoft have officially stated that the PXA25x and 26x should be avoided at all costs due to high power draw. At the time the 27x (aka bulverde) was still a bit of an unknown but they said it looked usable but still rather high power useage.