View Full Version : Pocket PC Wi-Fi Internet Connection

maikii
10-13-2004, 12:29 AM
I recently purchased a Socket SDIO Wi-Fi card for my IPAQ 2210. (Running Windows Mobile 2003, the build that came with it.)

Yesterday I was in a Cybercafe. With my laptop (and PC card Wi-Fi card), I was able to connect to the Internet.

Then I tried it with my IPAQ and SDIO Wi-Fi card. (I turned off the laptop and removed its card first.) The Socket WLAN Tools that came with the card showed that the card was connected to the Cybercafe's network, "Very Good" signal.

However, when I tried to go to any site with Pocket Internet Explorer, it never would go to any site. When I tried to connect to my e-mail server with "Inbox", it would not connect to the server.

In other words,the IPAQ plus SDIO WI-FI was connected to the cybercafe's network (which had worked previously for internet connection with the laptop), but didn't seem to be able to access the Internet at all.

Is there some other kind of configuration necessary, to get the PPC to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi? I searched for settings, tried different things, could not get it to work.

I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

OSUKid7
10-13-2004, 01:27 AM
Many WiFi hotspots redirect you to a registration page. Some of these include scripting that Pocket PCs can't read, so you can't see the page. Without passing through the registration page, you can't use any other applications (ports).

maikii
10-13-2004, 02:58 AM
Many WiFi hotspots redirect you to a registration page. Some of these include scripting that Pocket PCs can't read, so you can't see the page. Without passing through the registration page, you can't use any other applications (ports).

As I wasn't redirected to a registration page on my laptop, and I was able to connect fine to the Internet at that cybercafe with the laptop, right before I tried with the PPC, I don't understand how that could be the cause of the problem.

OSUKid7
10-13-2004, 03:03 AM
As I wasn't redirected to a registration page on my laptop, and I was able to connect fine to the Internet at that cybercafe with the laptop, right before I tried with the PPC, I don't understand how that could be the cause of the problem.Have you successfully connected and used the Internet at other places (home, work, etc.)?

maikii
10-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Have you successfully connected and used the Internet at other places (home, work, etc.)?

With the PPC and Wi-Fi card? No I haven't. I just got the card a couple weeks ago. There is no wi-fi internet access at my home or work. So, I was trying this for the first time at that cybercafe, with no luck.

I have connected to the Internet with the PPC before, by using my cell phone as a modem, connected via cable. I haven't done that lately though. (I think there's a problem with my cable.) (My next phone will have Bluetooth, so that I can connect the IPAQ to the phone that way. (OT for this discussion, in any case.) )

Ollie03031
10-14-2004, 01:19 PM
I have had similar problems. I can connect at Penara Bread and a local place called J-Beans with no problem. I was at the Key Bridge Merriott in Washington DC the other day and they have both an ethernet port and WiFi. I have an iPAQ 4700 and a 2210. I also have an ethernet card and a WiFi card for the 2210. I was not able to connect with either device either way (Hard wired or WiFi). I was aware that some locations require an acceptance screen and had NetFront3 loaded but even that could not show any connection screen. The WiFI showed a solid connection (Arrows) but I was not assigned an IP address so could nt get to the internet.
I connect using work. I have both network settings set to My Work Network. This works at Penara Bread and J-Beans but did not work at the hotel. I have had similar problems at Boston Airport which claims free WiFi and at other Merriott Courtyard hotels. I have even called the help desk for these services from these hotels and they have no answer.

mattp
10-14-2004, 02:51 PM
I am by no means an authority on this wi-fi thing, but I had some luck with a program called Streethawk. It's from the same people that created WiFiFoFum: http://www.wififofum.org/

Basically, Streethawk identifies available non-secure networks and attempts to force a connection. I used it once at a Holiday Inn in Connecticut. Sounds similar to your D.C. story. The Holiday Inn advertised free Wi-Fi, so I tried it but couldn't connect without the username and password. After a trip to the front desk, I returned with the username and password, but still couldn't access the internet. After this, I ran Streethawk and ended up with full internet and e-mail access.

I think I ended up getting an error from Streethawk saying it couldn't finish the process, but I closed Streethawk and had full access where I didn't before, so it didn't appear to work but it actually did.

I also used streethawk to connect at an undisclosed airport, but I'm not sure if that airport offered free wi-fi or not, so we won't go into details there.

I've been to numerous other hotels and airports that offered free wi-fi, but couldn't connect before I found Streethawk, so I'd definitely recommend trying it.

Cybrid
10-22-2004, 05:57 PM
I recently purchased a Socket SDIO Wi-Fi card for my IPAQ 2210. (Running Windows Mobile 2003, the build that came with it.)

Yesterday I was in a Cybercafe. With my laptop (and PC card Wi-Fi card), I was able to connect to the Internet.

Then I tried it with my IPAQ and SDIO Wi-Fi card. (I turned off the laptop and removed its card first.) The Socket WLAN Tools that came with the card showed that the card was connected to the Cybercafe's network, "Very Good" signal.

However, when I tried to go to any site with Pocket Internet Explorer, it never would go to any site. When I tried to connect to my e-mail server with "Inbox", it would not connect to the server.

In other words,the IPAQ plus SDIO WI-FI was connected to the cybercafe's network (which had worked previously for internet connection with the laptop), but didn't seem to be able to access the Internet at all.

Is there some other kind of configuration necessary, to get the PPC to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi? I searched for settings, tried different things, could not get it to work.

I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you.
Out of curiosity did you check to see if you got a good ip?