View Full Version : Dell Axim X50 Review Roundup

Janak Parekh
10-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Jason wasn't the only one frantically working on his review the last few days. ;) If you want more, here you go, in alphabetical order:<br /><li> <a href="http://www.aximsite.com/articles/link.php?id=200">Aximsite's review of the X50v</a>;<li> <a href="http://www.brighthand.com/article/Dell_Axim_X50v_Review?site=PPC">Brighthand's review of the X50v</a>;<br /><li> <a href="http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/Dell_Axim_X50v.htm">PDA Buyer's Guide's review of the X50v</a>;<br /><li> <a href="http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=495">PocketNow's review of the X50/X50v</a>. There, that should be enough for a day of reviews for one new device... and, if it isn't, you can check out a bigger list of reviews over <a href="http://www.engadget.com/entry/9927137581414458/">at Engadget</a>.<br /><br /><b>Update:</b> For the obsessed amongst you, here's <a href="http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Axim_X50v/4505-3127_7-31138229.html?tag=cnetfd.sd">CNET's take</a> and <a href="http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2258&review=Dell+Axim+X50">BargainPDA's take</a> as well.

OSUKid7
10-12-2004, 11:20 PM
ooooh, ahhhhh :D

Very nice PDA, but I think I'll stick with my hx4705.

Great reviews. :) Already read to of them.

upplepop
10-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Hey, you forgot BargainPDA's review:

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2258&review=Dell+Axim+X50

KimVette
10-12-2004, 11:34 PM
What happened to the version with 128MB of RAM? :(

Duncan
10-12-2004, 11:41 PM
What happened to the version with 128MB of RAM? :(

Simple - people were so deperate to hear something about the Dell VGA PPC that rumours and lies were seized upon and discussed as if they were confirmed facts.

The 128MB RAM X50 was, like the 140g and the 802.11g ones, a mere piece of wishful thinking (I've got an Outlook folder full of weeks of submissions telling me about the X50 specs - for our VGA PPC guide - up until yesterday not one of them was accurate - though one or two were close).

jasondearyou
10-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Never rush to quick judgement man, and like the old people say, and also not so old, if its too good to be true most likely it isn't

Maybe their next killer device will have those specs.

How else will they get us to buy another one, when this one is soo great.

:twisted:

Deus
10-13-2004, 12:32 AM
:cry: In Jasons review he mentioned that the 'filestore' would be better used for apps. But I wonder how certain apps will deal with this when they clearly state that they should be installed to main memory. Does this space qualify? I doubt today plugin's do.

jasondearyou
10-13-2004, 12:38 AM
why does the review over at aximsite shows that the x50v doesn't have a consumer Ir? I am sure that:

1) When reading the PDF manual, it specifially stated that there was a trial remote control software on the companion CD.

2) Someone in this forum posted that it was comsumer Ir. Is there something the matter here?

3) Is the x50 consumer Ir, and the x50v not consumer Ir? Please people lets get it right.

0X

jasondearyou
10-13-2004, 12:43 AM
Just one more thing, does the x50 or x50v include jeode for java, like the x5 had? or do we have to buy that separately?

I bought a program that was written for that program called F1, its a powerful math tool, but I didn't want to pay 50 bucs just to load it. I got it to work on my computer using IBM's version of pocket java, tried the cream thing, but it wouldn't work.

Jason Dunn
10-13-2004, 01:01 AM
:cry: In Jasons review he mentioned that the 'filestore' would be better used for apps. But I wonder how certain apps will deal with this when they clearly state that they should be installed to main memory. Does this space qualify? I doubt today plugin's do.

It depends on the app - I used to think that SIP (input methods) needed to go into RAM, but I installed TenGO into Flash ROM and it works great. Developers need to start coding for Flash ROM scenarios, not RAM, because that's the way things are going.

Gerard
10-13-2004, 03:51 AM
Today plugins are the most fussy, the most dangerous to intall to a location other than the default. CityTime Today for instance, or on some devices (but thankfully not my old Casio EG-800) both Dashboard and GigaBar, can cause boot errors which force hard resets if installed to other than main memory/default locations. Sometimes one gets lucky, sometimes not. I've learned the hard way, through too many hard resets, that there are limits on what may and may not be safely installed to a file store type area or to a storage card.

This is indeed an interesting device, at least the full-on model at the highest price. Too bad abou the styling. I'm not usually one to be over-critical on looks with PPCs, but this looks like a cheap remote control from the early 1980's, from Radio Shack no less. Sorry Dell, I like the bezel to wrap all the way around, or at least to look 'complete' not like something was left over on the assembly line.

Looks aside the specs are sweet, and the price is indeed attractive. A bigger screen would be nice for the VGA model. With London Drugs seemingly stocking more and more of the latest devices it's unfortunate Dell only sells directly. Hand-on could make all the difference, if these things are actually nice to use.

Chris Leckness
10-13-2004, 05:08 AM
why does the review over at aximsite shows that the x50v doesn't have a consumer Ir? I am sure that:

1) When reading the PDF manual, it specifially stated that there was a trial remote control software on the companion CD.

2) Someone in this forum posted that it was comsumer Ir. Is there something the matter here?

3) Is the x50 consumer Ir, and the x50v not consumer Ir? Please people lets get it right.

0X

There has been some question wondering if the IR is CIR? Well, If it is, its weak. I was only able to control my TV from 12 feet. The software used was PDAwin and it tested 25 feet with the X30.

jimski
10-13-2004, 06:31 AM

I was a bit concerned about this on my 4700, but aside from the Today plug-ins (have not even tried them), below is a partial list of apps that I have loaded into iPAQ File Store that are running without any issues nor any speed problems that I can sense:
-Adobe Acrobat Reader
-Anycom Pocket Print
-Agenda Fusion
-Pocket Time
-RepliGo
-Pocket WINc
-CLC Journal
-Pocket Slide Show
-Peacemaker Pro
-Storm Chaser
-Code Wallet Pro
-PictPocket
-Direct Assist
-ListPro
-Pocket Streets
-Pocket TV
-Hand Strory
-Tweaks2k2
-Pocket MVP
-Columbia Encyclopedia
-Resco Explorer
-Lexionary
-Invest Calc
-Simple Tunes

I originally had AF loaded in RAM and moved it to iPAQ FS. It was the only program to provide a warning about loading into ROM, but I have not noticed any difference in performance, nor have I had any problems.

Only Microsoft Reader and iPAQ Foldable Keyboard refused to work when loaded in iPAQ FS (work fine in RAM) and while Journal Pro and PHM Tools were directed to load in iPAQ FS, these applications chose instead to load into RAM.

Still wish I had 128MB RAM (allocating 34MB to Program Memory, but only have about 22MB available after soft reset) but overall this memory layout works.

manywhere
10-13-2004, 06:34 AM
PDAgold has got a quick review of the X50 as well:
"First 60 minutes with Dell Axim X50 (http://www.pdagold.com/articles/detail.asp?a=207)"

Oleander
10-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Right now, I'm soooo glad I waited to see the X50v before deciding to buy a new PPC! I really must agree with Aximsite who says: "This new Dell looks more like an iPAQ than the new iPAQs do"

So goodbye HP Jornada hx 4700 and hello Dell iPAQ X50v! :twisted:

Apart from the 64 mb of ram this one has everything!

PJE
10-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Hi Jason,

I'm looking to buy an X50v, but was wondering if it is supplied with an adaptor which allows it to be charged away from the cradle? With my X5 I simply plug the PSU into the device direct, but there would need to be some form of power to sync connector adaptor for the X50v...

KimVette
10-13-2004, 03:34 PM
With London Drugs seemingly stocking more and more of the latest devices it's unfortunate Dell only sells directly. Hand-on could make all the difference, if these things are actually nice to use.

Actually, Dell does sell through Dealers, but there are VERY few dealers who CONTINUE to sell Dell products.

Why?

Because Dell contacts their dealers' customers and offer their dealers' customers upgrades at DEALER cost, undercutting their dealer network and causing a lot of animosity toward Dell. Most companies that sell Dell products learn their lesson very quickly (all they're doing is acting as Dell salespeople, only not getting paid or even so much as a thank you for their efforts) and they drop the Dell line.

Dell = dirtbag in that regard.

Ed@Brighthand
10-13-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm looking to buy an X50v, but was wondering if it is supplied with an adaptor which allows it to be charged away from the cradle? With my X5 I simply plug the PSU into the device direct, but there would need to be some form of power to sync connector adaptor for the X50v...
The X50v comes with a small adapter that lets you plug the power cable directly into the handheld.

DanielTS
10-13-2004, 06:52 PM
There has been some question wondering if the IR is CIR? Well, If it is, its weak. I was only able to control my TV from 12 feet. The software used was PDAwin and it tested 25 feet with the X30.
Could you test your X50v with NetRemote (http://www.promixis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9126&sid=5fc46b66efcdceb73f0560ea69514f40) IR (or NetRemote Pro) ?

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-pda/thread.cgi?867

On 08/26/04 06:45 ET, hjortskov said...

Looking forward to see that working. I've heard before that your IR engine is the best Windows CE implementation yet.
Have you ever thought of releasing that part alone?
Could be very usefull in combination with various HTPC applications as an IR plugin. It would simply have to be the IR engine in a little program that accepts commandline IR codes!

Yes, the IR- engine/DLL is available from WinCESoft. Currently exclusively for the upcoming NetRemote Pro and NetRemote IR from Promixis.

Frank
www.WinCESoft.de

PPCRules
10-13-2004, 07:02 PM
You sure get a wide range of verdicts on battery life from different reviews.

I'm looking forward to some more objective, real-life comparative results.

rzanology
10-13-2004, 07:17 PM
once again....the people at cnet.com are on their crack!

MPSmith
10-13-2004, 09:43 PM
PDA Gold indicated that a case didn't come with "their package" but that a leather case is being developed to be included in retail packages.

If I ordered it yesterday, will I get a case and if so, what kind of case will it be?

Jason Dunn
10-13-2004, 10:37 PM
PDA Gold indicated that a case didn't come with "their package" but that a leather case is being developed to be included in retail packages. If I ordered it yesterday, will I get a case and if so, what kind of case will it be?

Yeah, the problem is that the review units that Dell shipped out weren't retail packages - my X50 was an engineering sample, which I normally would refuse to review, but I didn't have any choice. The case is just a simple slipcase, the kind you'll want to replace right away. ;-)

jasondearyou
10-13-2004, 11:09 PM
so this dell x50v could be used as a remote, but it would be a weak one, and it's showing as the same Ir as the h4700, if thats so then couldn't the h4700 also be used as a remote, reguardless if its not that long range?

DanielTS
10-14-2004, 08:53 AM
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=53864

"It ain't "CIR", but it is bloody close!

Consider that Dell includes Total Remote on their Companion CD, and has ever since the X3. They ran into some problems with the X50 that necessitated some emergency coding on our part, but just the usual hiccups associated with changing to a whole new PPC manufacturer. HTC engineers were awfully damn helpful in reconciling one or two technical issues, and the result is Total Remote is better for it.

Dell tests Total Remote before the release of each new Axim, and I get all the feedback, so you can be moderately assured that any Axim that includes Total Remote will work with "most" gear to a distance of 6 meters with nothing but IrDA.

Don Stratton
Senior Engineer and Product Manager, Total Remote"

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=53865&page=5

"No Axim, ever, has had what could truly be called "CIR", but ever since the X3 they have had one of the most pumped-up IrDA ports I have ever seen.
Using a Sony NS300 DVD player I can control it with near-100% accuracy from just over _40 feet_ using the X50v.
Knowing what I know about IR signal formats I would expect the range for controlling a Scietific Atlanta cable box would yield a shorted operational range (different devices use different signal standards and different IR receiver hardware, so there is no such thing as an absolute range measurement).

Don Stratton"

dblml320
10-14-2004, 10:06 AM
While the X50v looks nice, I was hoping it would have a USB host connection. It seems a popular idea to be able to hook up USB memory keys, and other storage devices to this PDA.

Do any of the new VGA PPC's have USB host?

DanielTS
10-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Do any of the new VGA PPC's have USB host?
Toshiba e830, Loox 720 and Asus A730 :D

jasondearyou
10-15-2004, 12:27 AM
not to mention the e830 all you have to do is get an adapter.

DanielTS
10-15-2004, 01:10 AM
"Note that the Toshiba USB interface is a simple cable connector"
http://www.anypakusa.com/PPC/powerPc.htm

I have a Toshiba Expansion Pack, which provides a VGA-out graphical interface and an USB Host interface, for my e805.
This Toshiba Expansion Pack is just an interface connector adapter; it has no electronic component.

scmok
10-17-2004, 07:38 AM
Following features not mentioned in the review.

1. Monitor out
This should be the only PPC device to support direct VGA out. But it seems the adaptor cable is not included in the package. So how can we hook it up to a monitor ? Hae anybody seen the quality on monitor ?

2. USB host
It seems also not supported, while most other high end PPC models include by default.