View Full Version : problems with iMate and Belkin Bluetooth GPS

alexm
10-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Guys,
does anyone use imate with Belkin Bluetooth GPS Navigation System? I bought Belkin Bluetooth GPS and I can't get it to work. It looks like the GPS is fine - it was charged, it has a green light indicating that it's locked on enough satellites, and it has a steady blue light indicating that it's connected to imate via bluetooth. On the imate: I installed the software, I was able to add the gps to the list of bluetooth devices. When I'm in the belkin software I can autodetect GPS - it finds it on COM 5, Baud Rate 4800. And that's it. When I open GPS Info - I see that the gps unit sees 0/0 satellites, however the green light on the GPS says otherwise. I've tried different ports and different speeds... It seems to me that there is no actual communication between the GPS and imate. I don't know what to do
One more thing, the it looks like On/Off switch on the unit is connected to ST/XT switch, another words - it's like one common switch. If I turn the unit on - the indicator automatically moves to XT position from ST position. IS this normal, or do I have a defective unit?
Please help! Thank you!

alexm
10-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Guys,
does anyone use imate with Belkin Bluetooth GPS Navigation System?

Is this forum alive?
Anyone? Imate and Belkin Bluetooth GPS?

Darius Wey
10-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Is this forum alive?

Please be patient. You have only allowed a day since your last post. Many PPCT forum members do not log on within a few days, so give some timeframe for people to respond to your post.

I don't have an I-Mate nor the Belkin Bluetooth GPS, so I'm afraid I can't help you out there. But I merely posted this to tell you to allow some time.

Thanks. 8)

Underwater Mike
10-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Easy answer first: The switch is fine. Don't have the manual in front of me, but it explains how to switch sensitivity modes. I know what you mean when you say that it looks like it's switching modes, but it really isn't. The combined switch is by design since the unit needs to be turned off to change sensitivity.

RE: your larger problem, hard to say. Have you tried letting the software autodetect the GPS unit, then keeping that COM port and manually bumping the speed up to 38400? I'm pretty sure that that is the data rate specified in the manual (maybe 19200, but I think 38400). Try that and report back.

Guys,
does anyone use imate with Belkin Bluetooth GPS Navigation System? I bought Belkin Bluetooth GPS and I can't get it to work. It looks like the GPS is fine - it was charged, it has a green light indicating that it's locked on enough satellites, and it has a steady blue light indicating that it's connected to imate via bluetooth. On the imate: I installed the software, I was able to add the gps to the list of bluetooth devices. When I'm in the belkin software I can autodetect GPS - it finds it on COM 5, Baud Rate 4800. And that's it. When I open GPS Info - I see that the gps unit sees 0/0 satellites, however the green light on the GPS says otherwise. I've tried different ports and different speeds... It seems to me that there is no actual communication between the GPS and imate. I don't know what to do
One more thing, the it looks like On/Off switch on the unit is connected to ST/XT switch, another words - it's like one common switch. If I turn the unit on - the indicator automatically moves to XT position from ST position. IS this normal, or do I have a defective unit?
Please help! Thank you!

alexm
10-13-2004, 07:00 PM
Is this forum alive?

Please be patient. You have only allowed a day since your last post. Many PPCT forum members do not log on within a few days, so give some timeframe for people to respond to your post.

I don't have an I-Mate nor the Belkin Bluetooth GPS, so I'm afraid I can't help you out there. But I merely posted this to tell you to allow some time.

Thanks. 8)
You're right, I should be. And here is the first reply.... :D

alexm
10-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Easy answer first: The switch is fine. Don't have the manual in front of me, but it explains how to switch sensitivity modes. I know what you mean when you say that it looks like it's switching modes, but it really isn't. The combined switch is by design since the unit needs to be turned off to change sensitivity.

RE: your larger problem, hard to say. Have you tried letting the software autodetect the GPS unit, then keeping that COM port and manually bumping the speed up to 38400? I'm pretty sure that that is the data rate specified in the manual (maybe 19200, but I think 38400). Try that and report back.

Thanks for the tip with switch. I figuret it out now and was able to switch from ST to XT mode. I have tried to increase the speed to 19200, 38400 and the rest of the choices while I was using GPS in ST mode - that did not work. I'll try tonight with XT mode and will report back.
Thank you!

Underwater Mike
10-13-2004, 07:32 PM
No prob.

I don't think that the ST/XT issue is related to your trouble, since that affects only the sensitivity of the receiver, not communication with the PPC, which seems to be your problem. Plus, if the GPS unit itself shows a lock, it is getting something.

One thing about the more sensitive mode: If you're using the unit in a moving vehicle, the lag time on the more sensitive setting will prolly drive you nuts. I almost always leave mine on the default sensitivity.

I know that it would be a pain, but if you;re unsuccessful tonight, try uninstalling everything, then starting over from scratch. After you let the s/w discover the GPS automatically, then switch to the recommended port speed. That's what I did, and it worked with no problem.

BTW, check out the latter half of this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29657). Zilla was having the same trouble as you. Dunno if he got it worked out or not, but you might try a PM to him.

Thanks for the tip with switch. I figuret it out now and was able to switch from ST to XT mode. I have tried to increase the speed to 19200, 38400 and the rest of the choices while I was using GPS in ST mode - that did not work. I'll try tonight with XT mode and will report back.
Thank you!

alexm
10-15-2004, 07:19 PM
No prob.

I know that it would be a pain, but if you;re unsuccessful tonight, try uninstalling everything, then starting over from scratch. After you let the s/w discover the GPS automatically, then switch to the recommended port speed. That's what I did, and it worked with no problem.

BTW, check out the latter half of this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29657). Zilla was having the same trouble as you. Dunno if he got it worked out or not, but you might try a PM to him.

Mike,
I tried both: switching to XT mode - but like you said it did not make any difference and re-installing everything from scratch - same thing. Just like before - all lights indicate that everything is fine, belkin software finds GPS unit on Port 5 Baud Rate 4800 but changing baud rates or even ports does not get me to see any info when I go to GPS Info. I'm stating to think that may be this problem is due to the Bluetooth stack that imate has. What do you think? Anybody else has any other opinions or suggestions? I really want this to work! :) Or I'm going to have to look for another Bluetooth GPS unit :(

Pat Logsdon
10-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Have you tried using any other programs to rule out the possibility that it's a software problem? You may want to try out the trial versions of either Outdoor Navigator (http://www.maptech.com/products/outdoornavigator/index.cfm?CFID=698218&CFTOKEN=37578352) or Vito Navigator (http://vitotechnology.com/en/products/navigator.html). If they work, the problem is with the Belkin software.

Also, you don't want XT mode when you're driving - the averaging algorithm it uses for higher sensitivity makes it too slow for high speeds. You also don't need to use anything higher than 4800 baud - there's really no noticeable speed difference.

Finally, you say that you have an i-mate - if the one you have is the same as the XDA II, you may want to check out xda-developers.com; many people there have had success switching out the Microsoft BT stack for the Widcomm stack. I'd try this as a last resort, however - it's NOT for the timid. :mrgreen:

Underwater Mike
10-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Pat raises a good point: My BT card (Belkin) uses the Widcomm BT drivers, not the MS drivers. In fact, the MS BT stack insists that there's no BT device present!

Dunno what else to tell you on the GPS, except that it would surprise me if you had a bad unit, although it could happen. Since it's under warranty, why not arrange for an exchange? (It's not like you're getting a lot of use out of it now.) If the replacement craps out, you know that it's the XDA rather than the GPS.

BTW, the only reason I've been saying to set it at 38400 is that's what the docs say to do. As he mentioned, it doesn't make the GPS any faster.

andygee
10-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Have you made sure that the gps is listed in your bluetooth bonded devices? I'm assuming you have. I know with the software once I turn bluetooth on and start belkin's software that I have to wait a minute and then I have to choose the 4800 baud rate again. If I don't manually choose the speed then it won't work for me.

Andy

alexm
10-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Dunno what else to tell you on the GPS, except that it would surprise me if you had a bad unit, although it could happen. Since it's under warranty, why not arrange for an exchange? (It's not like you're getting a lot of use out of it now.) If the replacement craps out, you know that it's the XDA rather than the GPS.

Well, I tried my gps with my friend's ipaq - and it works just fine. So, it is the bluetooth stack :(
I'm going to try to change it using methods that are described on xda-developers and will report back.
Thank you everyone!

andygee
10-19-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm using the pocket bluetooth tools that were posted over there and that makes mine work great. Only drawback is your screen will come on if you have a bluetooth headset and stay on the entire duration of a phone call.

Andy

Well, I tried my gps with my friend's ipaq - and it works just fine. So, it is the bluetooth stack :(
I'm going to try to change it using methods that are described on xda-developers and will report back.
Thank you everyone!

alexm
10-25-2004, 11:14 PM
everyone, it works! i'm happy to report, that after installing pocket pc bluetooth tools, it works like a charm. one hint: uncheck com port 5 in bluetooth settings before adding gps unit to ppc.
thank you all for your help!