View Full Version : Help! Activesync quit working......

ToddJ
10-10-2004, 03:06 PM
my activesync is not working...it quit yesterday....it seems like it just doesn't "see" that it is connected. at first I thought there might be something wrong with the connector on the bottom (i charged two days ago at work with a sync cable, and the cable got bent while it was in the charge.) However, it still wouldn't sync via wi fi either so I am not sure if the port got damaged or what. I tried reinstalling activesync and now it still doesn't read that it is there. I tried a different USB port and a different USB cable and still no luck... any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

Darius Wey
10-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Check the Connection Settings to ensure that your PC has opened the communication ports to your Pocket PC.

ToddJ
10-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Under USB it says 'connected' but on the top it says waiting for device to connect...but when I try to connect it, it won't 'find' it.

Darius Wey
10-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Sorry. I should be more clear next time.

Click File - Connection Settings.

And are the applicable boxes ticked?

ToddJ
10-10-2004, 11:51 PM
yes...

Darius Wey
10-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Open up ActiveSync on your Pocket PC and head over to Tools-Options. From there, make sure the connection is set to the right one. There are usuall options for USB, BT, and WiFi (where applicable). Make sure you have set it to the right one before you attempt to connect.

ToddJ
10-11-2004, 02:41 PM
it is...it is set for USB....do you think my ipaq might be damaged?

ToddJ
10-11-2004, 02:47 PM
I recently installed SP2...might this have something to do with it?

Darius Wey
10-11-2004, 02:50 PM
I doubt it. But do you have another computer you can test? Try installing ActiveSync on another computer and see if you can establish a guest account on the computer. If you can connect, I'd be leaning toward the thoughts that you have something configured incorrectly on your primary computer used for synchronising.

Brad Adrian
10-11-2004, 02:50 PM
It's probably safer to assume that the problem lies with Activesync than your device. Also, make sure that your cradle/cable isn't defective. I actually had a combo sync/charge cable go bad after a few weeks of use.

I would try to re-install Activesync. I wouldn't necessarily uninstall it; just install it over your current one. This should NOT mess up any of your current partnerships.

After all is said and done, make sure you have a good habit of backing your device up. I set an "appointment" every Friday afternoon to make sure I've got a current one.

Let us know how it goes.

ToddJ
10-11-2004, 02:52 PM
I recently installed SP2. Would that have something to do with it?

Darius Wey
10-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Most likely not, unless it has decided to mess around with your port settings which I highly doubt.

ToddJ
10-11-2004, 04:34 PM
any other ideas? do you think the port on the bottom is screwed up somehow?

ToddJ
10-11-2004, 05:06 PM
i can get it to start linking up briefly...and it says on my computer "no partnerships'. however, I cannot get it to create one automatically...any idea on how to get that to do that?

Darius Wey
10-11-2004, 05:45 PM
any other ideas? do you think the port on the bottom is screwed up somehow?

But if you said you had troubles with synchronising via Wi-Fi, I wouldn't think there would be a hardware fault in the port connector of your Pocket PC.

Worst-case scenario, if you cannot localise and find the problem on the PC, you may have to try backing up and hard-resetting your Pocket PC to see if this will solve the problem, as the ability to synchronise on the Pocket PC may be affected in some way at the present moment.

ToddJ
10-11-2004, 05:59 PM
ok...i backed my ipaq...and did the hard-reset...it started syncing...however, when I restored it from my backup...it quit syncing...i think something is screwed up in the settings somewhere on my ipaq....i will try it again..

szamot
10-11-2004, 06:06 PM
IT happened to me a couple of days ago as well, I put the ipaq in the cradle and my PC says new device found?! Just reinstall your activestink and you should be good to go. Then once you are happy with what you have back up and be done with it.

Sometimes I also notice that the device will fail to connect if there is a piece of lint stuck in the connection area on the device, that happens if you are like me and carry your device in your pocket. Blow it out and try it out. AS is weird the best you can do is just try to live with it.

Darius Wey
10-11-2004, 06:09 PM
ok...i backed my ipaq...and did the hard-reset...it started syncing...however, when I restored it from my backup...it quit syncing...i think something is screwed up in the settings somewhere on my ipaq....i will try it again..

Have you ever manipulated the registry in the past?

ToddJ
10-11-2004, 06:13 PM
i might have once...i don't remember...why?

jpf
10-14-2004, 02:19 AM
my 4700's doing similar. I don't know what started it.
When I put it on the cradle, activesync on the device comes up and then almost immediately closes down.. My PC shows the connection, tries to start syncing but eventually shows 'not connected'.
Looks like activesyne on the ipaq is the problem, by shutting down. It's not in memory afterwards.
Soft reset, reinstall & renew partnership on PC have made no difference. I really don't want to hard reset but I think that's what it's going to take to get it going again.
Never had problems with 2002, 2003.

jpf
10-14-2004, 02:19 AM
my 4700's doing similar. I don't know what started it.
When I put it on the cradle, activesync on the device comes up and then almost immediately closes down.. My PC shows the connection, tries to start syncing but eventually shows 'not connected'.
Looks like activesyne on the ipaq is the problem, by shutting down. It's not in memory afterwards.
Soft reset, reinstall & renew partnership on PC have made no difference. I really don't want to hard reset but I think that's what it's going to take to get it going again.
Never had problems with 2002, 2003.

ToddJ
10-14-2004, 04:37 AM
I got mine to work again after a hard reset...had to start from scratch though since I didn't do the built in back up....is there a way to automatically save it onto my computer? my palm used to do that....

Darius Wey
10-14-2004, 09:51 AM
i might have once...i don't remember...why?

Well there's just the risk that you may have accidentally reconfigured settings in the registry pertaining to the operations of ActiveSync. If such actions have taken place, a complete restoration of a backup file will only revert the registry back to its original state. You stated that after you hard-resetted your device, and before you restored your backup file, it would sync fine. Yet once you restored the backup file, things started going wrong.

Just food for thought. If you can sync fine before a backup, perhaps you should just start fresh and manually reinstall all your program files. If that solves the problem, then everything will be well! :)