View Full Version : Honeywell Sues 34 Companies over LCD patents

Jonathon Watkins
10-09-2004, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/07/honeywell_sues_34/' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/1...eywell_sues_34/</a><br /><br /></div>Here we go again. There's another patent problem pending and this time the primary protagonist is Honeywell. They are taking legal action against 34 companies, including Dell, Apple, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Fujitsu, Sony and Toshiba, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji Photo Film, Casio and Kodak. At least they are picking on someone their own size. ;-). Apparently Honeywell filed a patent in 1992 which covers LCD panels components and many companies are now infringing this patent: <br /> <br /><i>"It covers a LCD's "directional diffuser" - essentially the filter used in many LCDs to increase the angles at which the screen can be viewed. It's a technique used throughout the LCD world, across a range of devices, such as notebook PCs, LCD monitors and TVs, PDAs, mobile phones, digital cameras and so on. Anyone found to have infringed the Honeywell patent will have to face the company's demand for monetary damages and a ban on sales of infringing devices."</i> <br /> <br />The Register points out that many of the companies named in the suit don't actually manufacture LCDs themselves, but buy them in from their suppliers. Still, someone's got to pick up the tab on this one and guess who that will be? Anyone fancy higher prices for Pocket PCs? :?

Mitch D
10-09-2004, 04:49 PM
So Honeywell is claiming patent infringment on LCD's huh? It's not like LCD is a new technology, why has it taken Honeywell so long to do something about it? I find it hard to believe that they just woke up one morning and suddenly realized someone might be infringing on something they developed.

:!:

Sven Johannsen
10-09-2004, 07:01 PM
While I fully support the inventor of a particular technology being able to derive benefit and compensation for their effort, I think there has got to be some sort of statute of limitation on patents. At least technology ones. Just now deciding you want to exercise your rights on a 12 year old technology that has become mainstream is just ludicrous IMHO.

PR.
10-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Honeywell need to stfu and design some better desk fans!

Was going through 1 a year before I got my aircon :D

ctmagnus
10-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Now, if Honeywell were to design an LCD that incorporates a fan so that we can all be nice and cool and comfy when sitting in front of an LCD, that would be worth patenting ;)

WyattEarp
10-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Sounds like not only are they suing the wrong people but won't get much either. Just another way to fill their pockets by holding on to a patent for a technology they are probably not even using to supply other companies.

KimVette
10-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Isn't Sony the company which actually manufactures the Apple Cinema monitors?

Honeywell, you need to hire a competent legal team. Your current team is clueless and is going to get your company raked over the coals on this one. Why are you turning to patent litigation after 12 years for -- bad quarter filing coming up, maybe? Need to boost your stock to offeset a crappy sales figure this quarter? Pump-and-dump because the chairman or CEO wants to retire?