View Full Version : How do you copy an Outlook Address Book from desktop to laptop?

famousdavis
10-07-2004, 04:34 AM
Okay, so this really has nothing to do with my PPC...yet...but it might later on.

Question: How do you copy an Outlook Address book from my desktop to my laptop? I got a laptop this summer, and while I set it up to download email from my POP-3 server, I don't know how to get my desktop Address book onto my laptop. It's probably easy to do -- for someone who knows how to do it; I don't.

Also, is there a way to sync a laptop, desktop and PPC address book so changes to one make their way to the other two? Is this what Microsoft Exchange does? I need a simple, inexpensive solution for a home computing environment.

jimski
10-07-2004, 05:12 AM
Well you can Export your Address Book to a PST file and then Import that file to you other machine. Just click on Import/Export in the File menu and follow the prompts. This is how I share our company address book (not using Exchange Server) with other Outllook users.

Regarding the syncing of three devices I am sure it is possible but it sound tricky, unless at least one of the devices is a slave (no edits).

hal
10-07-2004, 01:35 PM
How many PC's do you currently Sync with?
If you only sync with the desktop can you not add a second ActiveSync partnership with the laptop and all three will share the same address book.

You do get some issues with duplicate entries when you have 2 partnerships though.

There is a freeware app that allows more than 2 partnerships, but I'm not sure that it's such a good idea to have more than 2 as the consistency checking isn't always that great. I can't find the link at the moment, if you want it, reply and I'll dig it out.

And while I'm on, when I sync with a new PC why can't I replace the PC's Outlook data with that on the PPC. It's an easy way to get my address book onto a new machine, but I don't want any old addresses on the PC messing up my PPC's address book. I need to delete the PC's data and the combine the PPC with the PC. Oh well...