View Full Version : Anyone use lower end GPS Unit ?

/pine
10-07-2004, 12:43 AM
I have ordered the X30 624-64 Axim

I am considering the GPS addon... wnone know if this reqires a SD card to store the extra software...?

TIA... I looked for a search tool to see if this topic has had any discussion...sorry if I missed it...

slashpine

johncruise
10-07-2004, 01:18 AM
I have ordered the X30 624-64 Axim

I am considering the GPS addon... wnone know if this reqires a SD card to store the extra software...?

TIA... I looked for a search tool to see if this topic has had any discussion...sorry if I missed it...

slashpine

I am not fully familiar with GPS devices (yet) but I know for a fact that you will need additional storage (expansion slot or built-in memory) for your maps and of course software/drivers like you mentioned.

Sven Johannsen
10-07-2004, 04:06 AM

Which one? They offer several. For every GPS product you will need to load a GPS application of some sort and the maps as data files. With the X30 you will get about 30M of Built in Storage. That is over and above the 64M of RAM that is divided between storage and program execution space. It's like a built in flash card. If you don't go nuts you can load a significant amount of programs there, like the mapping application.

Map sizes vary by program and area covered, but you can figure decent map files will be in megs or several megs. Those would be counties, or metro areas. Things of that nature. If you only load a few apps in Built-in Storage you can get away with keeping a few map files in there as well.

You are going to be wanting a storage card at some point in any case. I expect maps aren't the only things you are going to want to keep with you, once you get going, and you will rapidly run out of storage space in that 30M. You want to try not to burden the 64M to much with storage as some things have to go there, and the more you can leave open the better things work. Just like a PC, more free RAM improves performance.