View Full Version : Was your 624Mhz processor really as speedy as you thought?

famousdavis
10-06-2004, 04:07 PM
One of my primary uses for my PDA is to maintain a database to keep track of my homeschooling records. As the capabilities of my database have grown, so has the size of my database, and my little iPAQ 1910 just about dies when it tries joining a few tables together.

A second use for my PPC is Vito's SoundExplorer. The version 3 of that software was buggy, but I mostly learned to live with it. When I jumped to the latest version 4, the software simply refused to work saying my 1910 processor was too slow to encode at high bitrates. (Funny, my version 3 was able to do so, albeit with some occasional problems).

SO -- these were my excuses to my wife for buying a new Dell Axim X30 with a 624Mhz processor. Aside from the speedier processor and the WiFi, there's nothing particularly interesting about the X30 compared to my 1910. Dell is offering 15% off this particular X30 model, so I ordered last night.

I'm wondering if anyone using the new Intel 624Mhz processor has noticed a dramatic jump in speed or not? I'm hoping that my super-sluggish database will perk-up dramatically under the power of a 624Mhz processor. Also, how has real-world battery life been for owners of 624Mhz processors?

Darius Wey
10-06-2004, 04:14 PM
The 624MHz processor certainly packs a lot of punch in terms of speed, but I doubt you will see full application of its true power at the moment due to a lack of demand from most software applications. When more demanding programs are released, you will certainly notice the improvements this processor delivers. So in the short-term, the immediate benefits may not be completely apparent, but in a couple of years, you may start to see its true potential.

Don't Panic!
10-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Excel files open faster than on a HP 2215 anyway.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Ryan Joseph
10-06-2004, 09:02 PM
...keep track of my homeschooling records...

Homeschooling! Excellent! I was homeschooled from the very begining and am now a junior in college. It's good to see more doing it!

Sorry, totally off topic, I know, but I had to say something. :mrgreen:

divajess
10-06-2004, 09:12 PM
I am also making the switch from a 1910 to an X30 High...just ordered mine yesterday on the website as well! I am so excited I can hardly sit still, and the arduous countdown to the delivery of my Axim is killing me! :)

I have high hopes for the 624Mhz processor, as well as the WiFi and Bluetooth (connectivity at last, hurrah!)...famousdavis, perhaps we will have to compare notes when we receive ours?

Vidge
10-07-2004, 12:29 AM
One of my primary uses for my PDA is to maintain a database to keep track of my homeschooling records. As the capabilities of my database have grown, so has the size of my database, and my little iPAQ 1910 just about dies when it tries joining a few tables together.

Completely OT but what database are you using?

famousdavis
10-07-2004, 04:14 AM

Completely OT but what database are you using?

I use SprintDB Pro v2.1, which of course uses Microsoft Pocket Access database. I extremely satisfied with the richness and functionality of my database forms using SprintDB Pro. Just before the school year, I revamped my forms adding new functions and features to make recordkeeping more complete, easier, faster. Plus, I'm adding features that will actually help me perform homeschooling with my FOUR kids (the oldest two are the only ones actually "homeschooling", but I suspect all 4 will eventually be homeschooled together, at least for a time). But certain forms run like a dog, taking upwards of 30 seconds to load (because of the table joins). I'm hoping to reduce that load time to a few seconds once I get my X30.

famousdavis
10-07-2004, 04:20 AM
I am also making the switch from a 1910 to an X30 High...just ordered mine yesterday on the website as well! I am so excited I can hardly sit still, and the arduous countdown to the delivery of my Axim is killing me! :)

I have high hopes for the 624Mhz processor, as well as the WiFi and Bluetooth (connectivity at last, hurrah!)...famousdavis, perhaps we will have to compare notes when we receive ours?

Well, I ordered mine about 2am Eastern Daylight Standard time (in the US), so let's see who gets the X30 firstly!

Have you read up on some of the pecularities of the X30? A square stylus, for one? You have to leave the unit turned on while charging it for the first time, for two? Strange stories regarding the backup battery not getting charged properly, or getting discharged improperly? C/Net users have overwhelmingly favorable responses from X30 purchasers once you remove the complaints about long delivery times -- those negative reviews were from July, shortly after the X30 was supposed to be shipping, I guess.

As for my 1910, I could eBay it for about $80, but I'll just let my older kids use it for games and stuff. I really like my 1910. I never once had to reset the unit. Once I began the day with a soft reset, I never had any lock-up problems, either. Even the alarms worked perfectly well! Pocket Backup, however, never seemed to execute according to the schedule I created, but other than that, I've been very satisfied with the 1910.

famousdavis
10-07-2004, 04:25 AM
...keep track of my homeschooling records...

Homeschooling! Excellent! I was homeschooled from the very begining and am now a junior in college. It's good to see more doing it!

Sorry, totally off topic, I know, but I had to say something. :mrgreen:

Sweet! I'm among a ton of homeschooling families in my town. The flexibility is wonderful. Next week, my family leaves for about a 10-day visit through Virginia, taking in the autumn season and visiting some historical sites. Before then, though, we're having a photo-op with a local state representative on Friday -- that's a HOMESCHOOL version of a civics lesson! ;-)

divajess
10-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Well, I ordered mine about 2am Eastern Daylight Standard time (in the US), so let's see who gets the X30 firstly!

Have you read up on some of the pecularities of the X30? A square stylus, for one? You have to leave the unit turned on while charging it for the first time, for two? Strange stories regarding the backup battery not getting charged properly, or getting discharged improperly? C/Net users have overwhelmingly favorable responses from X30 purchasers once you remove the complaints about long delivery times -- those negative reviews were from July, shortly after the X30 was supposed to be shipping, I guess.

As for my 1910, I could eBay it for about $80, but I'll just let my older kids use it for games and stuff. I really like my 1910. I never once had to reset the unit. Once I began the day with a soft reset, I never had any lock-up problems, either. Even the alarms worked perfectly well! Pocket Backup, however, never seemed to execute according to the schedule I created, but other than that, I've been very satisfied with the 1910.

I ordered mine about 3-4 PM in the afternoon CST, so the race is on! :)

I have heard peculiar things about leaving the unit running while charging, which is OK with me because I probably won't be able to keep my hands off of it. The stylus doesn't look square to me--it's like the same old "aluminum fish" that other Axims I've seen have had. (My friend has the Axim X30 Mid, which I have played around with extensively.)

I love my 1910 as well...it has served me faithfully and looks quite fetching in the lovely Sena case I won for it here on PPCThoughts! But, it's about time to retire it for something with wireless connectivity. I will probably let my boyfriend use the iPAQ for awhile until he gets his new PDA, and then either let my best friend have it or keep it around for nostalgia's sake.