View Full Version : What's the best Pocket PC?

sublime
10-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Available, or still to come? My brother wants the best one out there, and he has the means to get it. Anyone?

EnsignRam
10-06-2004, 03:16 PM
You will probably get a different answer from everyone on this subject. It's kinda like asking the infamous question... "So what the best car out there?"

Don't Panic!
10-06-2004, 03:31 PM
The best current Pocket PC just by benchmark standards is the AXIM X30 by Dell, The only way to determine which is really best is for each user to determine what they want the device to do then get the one that does those things.

Does he want GPS built-ln? Bluetooth, WiFi.. Will it's primary use be business or entertainment? There are so many choices now I don't see how any device could be called the best anymore.

Just my 2 cents

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Ripper014
10-06-2004, 07:24 PM
I agree that it comes down to a personal choice depending on what one needs.

For me VGA is a must... so the x30 is not even on my list... I find that the hx4700 is priced way to high... considering the fact that it has only 64mb of ram... and a rather large footprint. I am also not fond of the touchpad. I don't like it on my laptop I doubt I will like it much more on a PPC. The design is another issue... but that is again a personal preference.

The Asus a730w is near the top of my list it seems to have it all... including a small footprint though a little thicker than the Hx4700... dual wireless, dual slots (CF/SD), 128mb ram, 1.3mp camera, of course VGA... and a smaller price tag... The processor being used is a 520mhz a little slower than the Hx4700. But real world usage will bear out whether it is fast enough.

The Loox 720... is another unit that is similar to the Asus that is worth looking at...

The Dell x50 is a promising unit... small thin... etc... it does not make my list because it does not include a CF slot... but might be perfect for your needs.

The last unit I would look at is the new Toshiba e830... it has just about everything someone would want at a low price...though not available in the US or Britain...

PetiteFlower
10-06-2004, 07:26 PM
The best for what use? Smallest size? Fastest processor? Best screen/resolution? Dual slots? Most memory?

Even if cost is not a factor, you still have to decide what features are the most important to you before you can even start narrowing the field at all.

sublime
10-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Sorry, let me clarify:

My brother does not have any specific use for it in mind apart from wowing his friends. The more the PPC can wow, the better.

How's that?

Ryan Joseph
10-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Sorry, let me clarify:

My brother does not have any specific use for it in mind apart from wowing his friends. The more the PPC can wow, the better.

How's that?

Then go with a phone edition device. The i-mate (http://www.clubimate.com) PPC Phone is currently top of the line. The iPAQ h6300 from T-Mobile pulls a close second with its built in WiFi and better battery life, but I think the i-mate wins with its faster processor and more memory.

If the cool factor is what you're going for, nothing impresses more than surfing the Internet anywhere through GPRS, or taking a picture with the integrated camera and emailing it in real time. Very sweet. :mrgreen:

applejosh
10-06-2004, 09:47 PM
The Dell x50 is a promising unit... small thin... etc... it does not make my list because it does not include a CF slot.

I thought I read it would have a CF slot. If it doesn't, that kind of bums me out. I was holding off making a decision on a new device until that came out.

Don't Panic!
10-06-2004, 11:13 PM
HP has a nice WOW factor device, It has a lot of entertainment options built in and compared to any PALM it's a killer. The rx3000 series (http://www.pdagold.com/articles/detail.asp?a=199), pricey but WOW!

Don't Panic!
Bobby