View Full Version : Free Maps for Pocket Streets 2005 Available from Microsoft

Jonathon Watkins
10-06-2004, 09:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f616e67b-1879-434c-be64-0fb8cf65d64d&DisplayLang=en' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en</a><br /><br /></div>New maps for Pocket Streets 2005 are now available from the Microsoft website. Pocket Streets 2005 comes free with the new editions of MapPoint, Streets and Trips and AutoRoute. I counted just short of 800 maps available for download, so chances are that there is a decent map available for most cities you would wish to visit. You can more info about Pocket Streets 2005 at the <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/pocketstreets/default.mspx">Pocket Streets web site</a>, while you can get these new maps at the <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f616e67b-1879-434c-be64-0fb8cf65d64d&DisplayLang=en">Microsoft Download centre</a>:<br /><br /><i>"Download maps of major cities for Australia, Canada, the United States and Europe. Your mobile device must be running Microsoft Pocket Streets for you to be able to view these maps."</i>

scmidlap
10-06-2004, 11:32 AM
:cry: Site says that you must have Pocket Streets 2005, I wonder whether maps will work with older versions?

Lex
10-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Some necessary feature used to be missing in P. Streets; was it routing? Is it still missing?

Leon
10-06-2004, 11:43 AM
"Download maps of major cities for Australia, Canada, the United States and Europe."
Australia? That would be new. Probably someone mixed up Australia and Austria.

Leon
10-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Some necessary feature used to be missing in P. Streets; was it routing? Is it still missing?
I don't think routing will ever be implemented in Pocket Streets.

jeisner
10-06-2004, 11:55 AM
"Download maps of major cities for Australia, Canada, the United States and Europe."

Yeah I got rather excited for a second then when I read the front page post, but it says Austria on the MS site not Australia :(

Darius Wey
10-06-2004, 12:00 PM
The Pocket Streets website isn't even updated to the latest version, which I find a bit strange.

But while the webpage lists maps for Austria, maps for Australia are also available, but because the webpage has not been updated, you will have to visit the first link posted by Jonathan (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f616e67b-1879-434c-be64-0fb8cf65d64d&DisplayLang=en) to get the Australia maps.

Hope that clarifies any of the confusion.

Jonathon Watkins
10-06-2004, 12:09 PM

Yeah I got rather excited for a second then when I read the front page post, but it says Austria on the MS site not Australia :(

:confused totally: I copied and pasted from the MS site when I posted a few minutes ago. The main link for this post clearly has: "Australia" and not "Austria".

Darius Wey
10-06-2004, 12:22 PM
:confused totally: I copied and pasted from the MS site when I posted a few minutes ago. The main link for this post clearly has: "Australia" and not "Austria".

I think they got confused by the second link provided for the Pocket Streets website.

To everyone: if you want to download the new maps, click on the first link of this thread.

Darius Wey
10-06-2004, 12:27 PM
I just did a bit of a search and it seems as though the main webpage for Streets is not integrated into that of the previous versions, and so you will find the new webpage here (http://www.microsoft.com/streets/default.mspx).

But the new Pocket Streets 2005 maps can still be found here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f616e67b-1879-434c-be64-0fb8cf65d64d&DisplayLang=en).

Stephen Beesley
10-06-2004, 12:29 PM

Wouldn't be the first time that happened! But as DJ Apod says - this time there are actually maps for Australia.

Yahhhhhh :clap:

ajbeard
10-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Do you know if you can buy Pocket Streets 2005 in Australia.

Thanks

Jonathon Watkins
10-06-2004, 12:33 PM
To clarify things I've added a second link to the download page, as well as having the post link. Everyone clear now? :)

:grumble: It would have been nice for MS to have updated thier own site, but there you go....

Darius Wey
10-06-2004, 12:40 PM
To clarify things I've added a second link to the download page, as well as having the post link. Everyone clear now? :)

:grumble: It would have been nice for MS to have updated thier own site, but there you go....

Hehe, yeah I'm sure that will definitely make it clearer for everyone now.

Although it says "Miscrosoft Download centre" on the frontpage now...LOL!

Darius Wey
10-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Do you know if you can buy Pocket Streets 2005 in Australia.

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure at the moment. I don't think it is, although I'm sure it will start popping up in stores very soon (my bet would be Harris Technology first). Also, Australian online stores may soon feature the product.

EDIT: You would be able to get it off Amazon I presume.

I don't own Pocket Streets 2005, but because I'm overseas currently, I was fortunate enough to be able to test these maps on a friend's device which had Pocket Streets 2005 running. So I'm not 100% sure on its compatibility with older versions of Pocket Streets, but if the website says that you need the 2005 version, I doubt it would run in older versions.

Jonathon Watkins
10-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Although it says "Microsoft Download centre" on the frontpage now...LOL!

That is because (in a very real way), the maps are available at the Microsoft Download centre. :wink:

Darius Wey
10-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Although it says "Microsoft Download centre" on the frontpage now...LOL!

That is because (in a very real way), the maps are available at the Microsoft Download centre. :wink:

Haha! Come on! I knew that! I'm not entirely stupid. :P

I was making reference to your typo. :lol:

Jonathon Watkins
10-06-2004, 01:02 PM

OK, now I see it. Fixed. Darn this dyslexia. :wink:

Can we please stay on topic with regards to Pocket Maps please. Ta. :)

Darius Wey
10-06-2004, 01:07 PM

OK, now I see it. Fixed. Darn this dyslexia. :wink:

Can we please stay on topic with regards to Pocket Maps please. Ta. :)

Agreed. I was getting too confused by this mass hysteria. :P

Just out of interest, does anyone know if you can submit errors in the maps to Microsoft? I've found a couple in the ones of Perth.

Leon
10-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Jonathon, yes, I knew you were only quoting (italics and quotes), that's why I wrote 'someone'. I'm sorry if someone got the impression that I thought you were the one mixing up Australia and Austria.

Anyway, it is good to see Australian maps are available. Hopefully it is a sign other EU/US mapping/navigation products will follow as well. Australia is still on my holiday to-do list so when TomTom is ready to provide the maps, I'll be there.

allenfdavis
10-06-2004, 02:42 PM
what are the differences between the 2 versions? Any compelling reason to upgrade?

Darius Wey
10-06-2004, 02:46 PM
what are the differences between the 2 versions? Any compelling reason to upgrade?

The version upgrade for the Pocket PC is more cosmetic than anything else. I'm sure it includes some minor bug fixes beneath the surface, but on the outside, it seems like the same old program. You do get to open the new maps just released however.

I think the major changes in 2005 are seen in the PC version rather than the Pocket PC version. The Pocket PC version is merely there to serve as a portable solution to the Streets & Trips package.

Jonathan1
10-06-2004, 03:41 PM
The Pocket PC version is merely there to serve as a portable solution to the Streets & Trips package.

Basically Pocket Streets 05 is to Streets and Trips as Pocket Word and Excel is to MS Office. :? Way to show initiative MS. I'm sorry but does that company give a crap about any of their Pocket PC products? :|

Has any PPC MS software been really updated since its been released? Seriously. This languishing of their software is more then frustrating. Does this version of PS05 even take advantage of VGA Pocket PC's.

Mr. PPC
10-06-2004, 03:59 PM

You'll find that Amazon doesn't like shipping software or hardware internationaly. Every time I have tried it has errored and advised me they only ship to US these products.

Darius Wey
10-06-2004, 04:06 PM

You'll find that Amazon doesn't like shipping software or hardware internationaly. Every time I have tried it has errored and advised me they only ship to US these products.

I just realised that.

AUSTRALIAN &
NON-US CUSTOMERS!
This site is a guide to Amazon.com's total range of products and all products are stocked in the United States. Due to shipping restrictions, Amazon.com can only ship the following product lines outside of the US:
# DVD (Region 1)
# VIDEO (NTSC)
# MUSIC CDs
# BOOKS

All other product lines, including computer and eletrical hardware, are currently not available to Amazon.com customers outside of the US.

Quite a heavy restriction nowadays. :?

jlp
10-07-2004, 10:01 AM
I find it awefully lame that Handango lists "Pocket Streets for Pocket PC by Microsoft Corporation" the US version is still 2004, while both in German and French version are still 2002 :evil:

And they sell it for $25 without any map, while the CD version is $40 with all the maps you want since you create your own.

$10 is the maximum it should be for a very limited program with all the data missing. Let's say you are in a small town or want to visit one then why bother with the expensive download that lacks the maps anyway.

The last two comments on Handango say that the maps are horribly outdated.

I remember both 2001 and 2002 maps of Lausanne, Switzerland, where I live have the bus line numbers instead of the steet names !! How unuseful, I bet that hasn't changed in 5 years!!! :evil:

ctmagnus
10-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Let's say you are in a small town or want to visit one then why bother with the expensive download that lacks the maps anyway.

Plus the fact that small towns (mine at least) on the maps that come on the CD version don't have any POI data, just street names.

Darius Wey
10-08-2004, 01:31 AM
In my opinion, Microsoft aim to deliver a product to suit users in big cities...however, even these maps are not flawless. There are typos abound, and the lack of traffic lights and street signs is another thing.

It may not be designed as a street directory replacement, but hopefully, in the coming years, the whole Streets & Trips concept will improve and the maps that exist will try and accommodate for all users out there - big town or small town. Hopefully, they will be detailed too, but time will tell.

jlp
10-08-2004, 03:00 AM
I remember both 2001 and 2002 maps of Lausanne, Switzerland, where I live have the bus line numbers instead of the steet names !! How unuseful, I bet that hasn't changed in 5 years!!! :evil:

I'd love to be proven wrong on the newest 2005 version; but I don't want to risk $50-60 (its price here) just to find that I'm right and bus line numbers still stupidly replace the street names.

Anybody with PS2005 would like to load the map of Switzerland, Lausanne and tap randomly to see if it shows any number instead of the street name?? (obviously most street names are there, only those on the bus course are they replaced with line numbers; by taping randomly chances are you'll hit a street on a bus course; the denser the lines the closer to the city center and the more bus lines are there; easy does it 8))

jlp
10-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Nobody with PS2005 wants to help a poor soul full of doubts :? :wink:

Darius Wey
10-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Update: You can now acquire Pocket Streets 2005 as a stand-alone product, rather than having to rely on the acquisition of the entire Streets and Trips package.

More information here. (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/pocketstreets/default.mspx)

tanalasta
10-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Have they included Australian maps in Pocket Streets yet? :?

Darius Wey
10-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Have they included Australian maps in Pocket Streets yet? :?

Yes, but it is only compatible with Pocket Streets 2005.

You can find the maps here. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f616e67b-1879-434c-be64-0fb8cf65d64d&displaylang=en)

DGeraths
10-22-2004, 05:12 AM
I have recently picked up a pocket PC (although it is still in the mail). I already purchased Streets & Trips with the GPS. I also purchased the adapter for the GPS for the forthcomming pocket PC.

I thought I read somewhere that when you plan out a map on the streets and trips and upload it to the pocket streets on the pocket PC with attached GPS that the program offers voice prompts for the directions?

Is this true? I have looked all through the manual but cannot find any mention of it, but I do remember reading it on the net somewhere when I was researching the program.

Anyone here know?

Dana
http://www.GerathsDesign.com

Darius Wey
10-22-2004, 12:12 PM
To my knowledge, I don't think voice guidance is compatible with Pocket Streets.

However, I found a link (http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/PocketPC/wince.htm) that may be of interest to you.

It's a little old but basically outlines some packages that support voice guidance in GPS navigation. If you find something you like and want to seek some updated information, post back here and we can help you out. :)

DGeraths
10-24-2004, 05:57 AM
Now I am really confused... I have the Pocket PC, pocket streets installed and working... but it looks as though it doesn't even give me ANY driving directions!

Can someone tell me if Pocket Streets even gives any type of driving directions? If not, what would be a good, inexpensive program that will give me driving directions on my pocket PC?

So far I am really dissapointed with Pocket Streets....

Darius Wey
10-24-2004, 06:08 AM
Now I am really confused... I have the Pocket PC, pocket streets installed and working... but it looks as though it doesn't even give me ANY driving directions!

Can someone tell me if Pocket Streets even gives any type of driving directions? If not, what would be a good, inexpensive program that will give me driving directions on my pocket PC?

So far I am really dissapointed with Pocket Streets....

Unfortunately, Pocket Streets was not designed to give directions. The closest that comes to it, assuming you have a GPS-enabled Pocket PC, is that it can localise your location to a certain point on the map.

If you're after some sort of navigation application for the Pocket PC, you can try TomTom (http://www.tomtom.com) Navigator. A good place to find GPS dedicated products is GPS Passion (http://www.gpspassion.com).