View Full Version : PUSH email settings for ActiveSync

humayunl
10-04-2004, 07:51 AM
I have an imate (a.k.a. XDA II) and I am setting up ActiveSync to synchronize with the Exchange Server to enable push email supprt. But I am having trouble. I hope someone can verify my settings.

I ran the imate mail utility and it configured my device (basically configured active sync with server info etc.). I dont want to synchronize tasks and calendar so i unchecked them so only mail is synchronized.

The first time i synchronized with the server MANUALLY, it worked and downloaded the mail. However after that I set up ActiveSync PUSH settings (as follows) and then after that everytime it tried to synchronize with the server (whether automatic or manual) i get the username/pw window and even if i enter my username/pw, i get authentication error that my username/pw are incorrect.

Here are my Active sync Server settings. Please look at them and let me know if they are correct. I would really appreciate if you can tell me what the settings are supposed to be cause mine might be wrong:

-----------

In the server tab.
Server: mail.clubimate.com (use SSL is checked)

The options for the server:
username: [email protected]
pw : ******************** (it shows a lot more ****s than the characters in my PW but thats ok i guess).
Domain: dubaitelecom
Save password: Checked

Device Address options:
Question: Should I use the "Device SMS Address" option or the "Corporate Service Provider" ? I am surrently using the Corp. Service Provider option and i have entered my phone number (fully qualified i.e. with international codes and all) and in the service provider name, "Fenestrae" was already there and it defaulted so i am using that. Is that correct? ot should I be selecting the "Device SMS Address" option? If I do use it, do i enter my phone number only in that field or the email address i.e. <myphone>@domain.com like the example suggests?

Mobile Schedule:
Peak Time : As items arrive
Off-peak times : As items arrive.

---

Hope you can help.
Thanks a lot.
Humayun

humayunl
10-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Anyone?

Does anyone have email PUSH support set up on their PPC with MS Exchange server 2003?

Darren Behan
10-05-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm thinking you'd probably have better luck @ clubimate. How bout asking their live support?

db

that_kid
10-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Try entering the username without the @domain.com suffix. When I entered my unsername in like that serversync had a fit and didn't work. I have heard of it working like that for others but it's worth a shot in your case.

humayunl
10-06-2004, 07:32 AM
Unfortunately my experience with clubimate suppotr has been very disappointing.

The forums have very low activity and even that is of users asking for help, only to be responded to by other users. The staff maybe looks at the support forum once a week if you're lucky.

Even direct mail to support hasnt been responded to in many days.

Thanks for the tip about the username, I already tried. Believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING.

Strange thig is that it worked ONCE, the first time... (with the full username@domain as my login id) and then it never worked again no matter what i tried.

still trying....

any Imate user who has theirs working?

gordho
10-17-2004, 05:24 PM
are you able to access your mailbox through other means with this user name and password?

andygee
10-18-2004, 01:45 PM
I have this working on my unit. I would enter the SMS Address as that seems to work best for me. You will enter the full address just as if you were sending an email from your client to your phone, so usually it's the [email protected]. i.e. [email protected] for tmobile.

Andy

Device Address options:
Question: Should I use the "Device SMS Address" option or the "Corporate Service Provider" ? I am surrently using the Corp. Service Provider option and i have entered my phone number (fully qualified i.e. with international codes and all) and in the service provider name, "Fenestrae" was already there and it defaulted so i am using that. Is that correct? ot should I be selecting the "Device SMS Address" option? If I do use it, do i enter my phone number only in that field or the email address i.e. <myphone>@domain.com like the example suggests?

Mobile Schedule:
Peak Time : As items arrive
Off-peak times : As items arrive.

humayunl
10-22-2004, 06:58 AM
are you able to access your mailbox through other means with this user name and password?

Yes I can access it through all other means (from the ppc vie PIE), from the desktop using internet explorer by logging on to the exchange account.

only when i connect throught AS it doesnt work.

And yes Andy, we do need to enter the full address as the username. However, i rcently heard from imate support (finally someone there woke up) and after a year of advertising PUSH email support they've decided that the best way to tackle this problem is to tell me that push support is not yet sully supported.

I have heard from people saying its working for them and from my previous experience (or lack thereof) with imate support tells me that most likey they really dont know whats going on so i am now just not sure whether to keep trying to make it work or just give up and wait.

what makes it more frustrating is the fact that it worked ONCE.. JUST ONCE.... then it never worked again... it wouldbe easier to accept if it never worked to begin with.

andy, which provider do you have it working with?

andygee
10-22-2004, 12:29 PM
We are using TMobile. I will tell you this though, the push aspect of it is not 100% reilable, it sometimes doesn't update. I believe part of this is because your device is notified via SMS and I don't consider it to be 100% reilable. There are some other troubleshooting things you can do. In Exchange, and I'm not at an Exchange box currently, you can turn on the logging of the Push Notifications so that you can make sure your exchange box is generating those. Once you are sure they are generating those you can search in the Exchange logs to see where the messages were sent. We had a problem originally with one of the units that we have and that's how I had to narrow it down. On that particular case it turns out that I had to remove the Exchange attributes for the account and reset it up. I have a mix of XDA I's and XDA II's and Imate's here for a total of around 25. I don't have any problems with them updating.

Andy

Yes I can access it through all other means (from the ppc vie PIE), from the desktop using internet explorer by logging on to the exchange account.

only when i connect throught AS it doesnt work.

And yes Andy, we do need to enter the full address as the username. However, i rcently heard from imate support (finally someone there woke up) and after a year of advertising PUSH email support they've decided that the best way to tackle this problem is to tell me that push support is not yet sully supported.

I have heard from people saying its working for them and from my previous experience (or lack thereof) with imate support tells me that most likey they really dont know whats going on so i am now just not sure whether to keep trying to make it work or just give up and wait.

what makes it more frustrating is the fact that it worked ONCE.. JUST ONCE.... then it never worked again... it wouldbe easier to accept if it never worked to begin with.

andy, which provider do you have it working with?

gordho
10-22-2004, 01:27 PM
i have my imate set to grab messages every 10 minutes instead of "as items arrive" and it works with no problems. i know your probably trying to avoid this but is it possible to do a hard reset on your device and start fresh?

humayunl
10-25-2004, 09:16 AM
I was asked by imate support to do a hard reset adn start fresh adn I did that too.. . but even that didnt work.

Now i'm curious, what settings are so fixed and unchangeable that we have to perform hard resets instead of just say, deleting a partnership or the AS server sync. settings and just recreating them?

andygee
10-25-2004, 12:34 PM
One thing, when you have everything setup and it works the one time. When you know you have mail and that the ppc should have synced, do you have an active gprs connection?

Andy

humayunl
10-26-2004, 06:11 AM
Yes at that point, i do have an active gprs connection. That is why it finds the server and tries to connect to synchronize but the authentication keeps failing and it keeps asking me for my username/pw over and over again never accepting them.

andygee
10-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Yes at that point, i do have an active gprs connection. That is why it finds the server and tries to connect to synchronize but the authentication keeps failing and it keeps asking me for my username/pw over and over again never accepting them.

And does this account work through Webmail/Outlook Web Access?

humayunl
10-28-2004, 10:41 AM
And does this account work through Webmail/Outlook Web Access?

Yep! Strange isn't it? I have no clue what the hell is happening. Unfortunately, neither does the imate support staff :(

sascha.isi
10-28-2004, 10:44 AM
I am Using the MDA II it is the same as the XDA II and have the following problem. I can't tell the MDA II the phone number of the device, because there is no option in the ActiveSync software of the device. Is there a way to configure the number directly on the Server or in the AD ?

andygee
10-28-2004, 12:19 PM
I am Using the MDA II it is the same as the XDA II and have the following problem. I can't tell the MDA II the phone number of the device, because there is no option in the ActiveSync software of the device. Is there a way to configure the number directly on the Server or in the AD ?

You won't have this option until you successfully sync with the server one time. Once you sync successfully then that option should appear.

Andy

sascha.isi
10-28-2004, 07:46 PM
You won't have this option until you successfully sync with the server one time. Once you sync successfully then that option should appear.

Andy

I sync successfully when I start it manual or when I configure it to sync every 10 minutes, but the option is still not avaiable.

humayunl
10-29-2004, 07:00 AM
For me also the option to specify the device phone number became available AFTER i synchronized with the server successfully once.

sascha.isi
10-29-2004, 08:48 AM
I had tested this. But there the option is still not avaiable.
Perhaps the configuration oft the MDA II Device can help.
We use a private GPRS net and connect via VPN to a ISA Server in the network. The ISA Server is a reverse Proxy to the OMA Server. The OMA Server has direct access to the SMTP Server that sends the SMS to the MDA. In the MDA Device we use both connections for GPRS and VPN.
A Sync with the Oma Server is working without any errors, but the option doesn't apear in the Device. I tried a upgrade of the ActiveSync Software of the MDA to Version 3.7.1, but the option still is not avaiable.

Can somone of you tell me, if there is a way to type the number of the Device manually into the OMA Server or the AD?