View Full Version : T-Mobile Releases iPAQ 6315 Update

Janak Parekh
10-04-2004, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.t-mobile.com/HPUpdate/' target='_blank'>http://www.t-mobile.com/HPUpdate/</a><br /><br /></div>If you're an iPAQ 6315 owner using T-Mobile service, and are having trouble sending email, check out this update.<br /><br />Get more from your HP iPAQ h6315<br /><br />Installing this update will improve the wireless performance of your HP iPAQ h6315 Pocket PC. You should install this update if:<br /><br /> * You are experiencing difficulties sending e-mails over GPRS using Pocket Inbox.<br /> * You are experiencing difficulties sending e-mails with attachments over GPRS using Pocket Inbox.<br /> * You are experiencing difficulties sending large files over GPRS using other applications.<br /> * Your iPAQ has an older software version. Click here for instructions on checking your software version.

Ploobers
10-04-2004, 03:02 AM
The big question is will this update keep my iPAQ from freezing almost every time it goes into standby. My 6315 is really starting to make me angry. It freezes all the time and now won't even load programs like Media Player! (There is about 20MB free memory on the device).

Janak Parekh
10-04-2004, 03:33 AM
The big question is will this update keep my iPAQ from freezing almost every time it goes into standby. My 6315 is really starting to make me angry. It freezes all the time and now won't even load programs like Media Player! (There is about 20MB free memory on the device).
Are you sure that's not being caused by application incompatibilities? From what I've heard, some versions of Calligrapher (the big brother to Transcriber) causes major issues similar to the ones you're describing. It's possible other apps might also cause something like that.

--janak

angelchrys
10-04-2004, 04:27 AM
I'm half-heartedly hoping that it will help me with my power button not always responding. Something tells me that only an exchange will fix that, but I hate thinking things like that after having only had it for two weeks.

Ploobers
10-04-2004, 04:32 AM
Well I just called in and they said they had to do an exchange, so they'll be shipping that out tomorrow. Hopefully the replacement won't have that problem. I was impressed with the customer service though.

dangerwit
10-04-2004, 04:35 AM
Also, someone on pdaphonehome was saying that freezups (in general) are a known issue and there is allegedly another fix in the works.

Mine loses its ability to ActiveStink more than once without a warm reset. Irritating... but no more so than my old i700. :)

*Phil

Janak Parekh
10-04-2004, 04:54 AM
no more so than my old i700. :)
Ironically, the i700's AS problems were eliminated with the WM2003 upgrade, at least in my case. :)

--janak

mm
10-04-2004, 02:08 PM
I returned my first 6315 because of this issue.

Subsequently I have found that Calligrapher and PocketPlus were causing problems. Since I removed them and did a hard reset and reloaded everything except those two programs, I have had no problems. (It is sad though, Calligrapher and PocketPlus were my favorite ppc programs). I have heard that Meeting Mute does cause problems also. (Another great program).

Calligrapher hsa posted a work around - see forums at www.phatware.com.

PocketPlus SPBsoftwarehouse just replies that they haven't seen a 6315 yet so they haben't seen the problem.

yawanag
10-04-2004, 03:11 PM

The more I read the posts from you guys, the more I am convinced that there is no PERFECT PDA. I waited for months for the release of the 6315 and when it never materialized when I needed a new device desperately I read reviews by the tons and decided upon the I-mate.

I had to exchange it in two weeks. Actually, I shold have sent it in sooner but I just couldn't bear to be without. The device has crashed twice, for not apparent reason. The first thing I'm told is that it is probably due to third-party software. I am very careful to read the devices compatible with the software before downloading.

I sometimes wonder if the persons telling you this even own the device. I know this was the case when I talked to T-Mobile techs. "Do you own a T-Mobile?" The answer, almost 100% of the time was "Nope." I don't think anyone should be advising about a product they have little or no knowledge of.

Perhaps, if they did own one they would know the frustrations of losing valuable data, reentering reg codes and not to mention trying to attain your high score again in the games you play.

Janak Parekh
10-04-2004, 03:49 PM
I sometimes wonder if the persons telling you this even own the device.
I freely admit I don't own a 6315, but I've read a lot of forums, and I've seen this subject come up over and over again, with Calligrapher being a noticeable culprit. That was the one reason I made the suggestion. Do you prefer I don't?

--janak

kcwester
10-04-2004, 04:22 PM
My machine also freezes constantly. If I use a bluetooth headset and turn my PDA off I need to do a reset in order to use it again. In addition to that I need to do several resets a day to prevent it from freezing. The volume is also so low that I can't hear it when it rings. This is the third device and the best of the bunch. I keep on hoping fixes will take care of the problems.
Cheryl

bdegroodt
10-04-2004, 06:53 PM
As a vocal critic of past PPC phones, I feel it necessary to jump in and praise HP and the Tmobile group for making some excellent progress on this front. I think it's a wonderful advance. Not perfect yet, but still enough for me to be a happy camper so far. I also think credit has to go out to Tmobile and HP for getting a fix out for the email issue in such short order. That's impressive. Maybe not ideal, but good work in fixing an issue that needed attention quickly.

heyday
10-04-2004, 08:02 PM
My machine also freezes constantly. If I use a bluetooth headset and turn my PDA off I need to do a reset in order to use it again. In addition to that I need to do several resets a day to prevent it from freezing. The volume is also so low that I can't hear it when it rings. This is the third device and the best of the bunch. I keep on hoping fixes will take care of the problems.
Cheryl

I have the same problem with my headset. What I have found is if I have my headset opened and then turn off my ipaq and then turn it back on, everything is fine. The problem is if you turn of the ipaq and then fold up your headset...... doing this screws it up and you have to do a soft reset. So basicaly before you close your headset make sure you turn your PPC on and then close it.

Seams to work for me.

Heyday

reydiodj
10-04-2004, 08:26 PM
For those w/the BT headset problem, I've found that the solution is to disable "Standard Audio" in the Bluetooth setup for the headset and found this to be the case, which makes it inconvenient if you want to put the iPAQ on standby ready for MS Voice Command.

I too had notified T-Mo Engineering about that issue and it is being worked on.

dbrahms
10-04-2004, 10:07 PM
has anyone done the update yet ? notice anything different ?

Ploobers
10-04-2004, 11:02 PM
I never used the GPRS so I can't say anything about those issues being fixed, but my units still freezes just the same after installing, so don't expect a magic fix.

rickh925
10-05-2004, 04:52 AM
Well, I did the update and it seems to have done nothing but update the ROM version number to .2 from .0. Attachments sent from Inbox over GPRS through my IMAP server(SSL enabled) never leave the outbox. I can easily send messages without attachments and receive messages with attachments of up to 10 megs(largest I tested) over GPRS. If I connect to my WiFi, I can send files with attachments. I am not going through MyEmail. Also, If I send the email with attachment over GPRS using ActiveSync through my Exchange server at work, it goes through just fine.

Doesn't make sense to me why the ActiveSync over GPRS works, but Inbox over GPRS won't send attachments.

squeeze
10-05-2004, 05:56 AM
I had the original TMO PPCPE released years ago...I promptly returned it because I almost got in a car accident trying to reboot the device because I couldn't make or receive calls (it would ring, but it locked up so the touchschreen and buttons were dead).

I got rid of that phone after that incident...went back to your typical 2-device mode (PDA + Phone). Years later after severl PPCs and Palm devices...I eventually picked up a Treo 600. What a beautiful working unit.

Then the HP was released - so I got that....after 14 days, I returned it and went back to the Treo.

Lesson learned: I like to fiddle around with my PPC, but I actually want to USE it as opposed to fiddling and fixing it. So I went to the Treo.

And yes, I still look at this forum because one of these days....the converged device will have more features than bugs...

Cheers.

rickh925
10-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Well, after doing some additional testing, I find that I can send sub 1meg attachments without problems using Inbox over GPRS. Last night, I originally tried to send an mp3(5meg) as an attachment over GPRS. The fact that a 217k attachment works and a 5 meg attachment does not leads me to believe that I may have a timeout on my mail server which I'll have to look into.

I need to do some further testing to see what the limit is as well as digging into the logs to see if there is a timeout or disconnect on the mailserver end.

rickh925
10-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Well, after inspecting the sendmail setup here, it looks ok. The one consistent thing is that it seems to be about 60 seconds after the login to sendmail(when the Inbox connects for SMTP) that I get a message from sendmail in maillog:

Oct 5 10:28:07 daddymac8 sendmail[8651]: i95EQuTJ008651: collect: premature EOM: unexpected close
Oct 5 10:28:07 daddymac8 sendmail[8651]: i95EQuTJ008651: collect: unexpected close on connection from xxxxxxxxx.tmodns.net, sender=&lt;[email protected]>

This looks like(and seems to be confirmed through various online resources) that tmobile is closing the connection or my iPAQ has a 60 second timeout on mail sending with the new patch. I'll have to ask Tmobile if that is the case.

DaleReeck
10-06-2004, 03:59 AM
I can't even get the patch to install. I have more than 10MB of both storage and program memory left so I don' t think its a memory issue. But when it gets to the point of copying MISC.xip, I confirm on the Pocket PC that I want to update. But it fails, telling me "The ROM Update file is invalid. It will be deleted". Any ideas?