View Full Version : Wap versions of Thoughts sites?

gai-jin
10-03-2004, 07:59 AM
I had thought the thoughts sites were wap compatible, but I am trying to access them from my phone and get bad gateway errors. Is there something I'm missing, or was I just imagining that PPCT, SPT, and DMT had wap versions?

Gai-jin

OSUKid7
10-03-2004, 04:45 PM
That's a subscription (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php) feature. :way to go:

gai-jin
10-03-2004, 04:48 PM
As you can see, from the badge under my name, I am a subscriber. But I can't find a wap version of the site anywhere. (I'm looking for true wap, as in, accessible from my cell phone screen, not pocketpc)

Gai-jin

Jacob
10-03-2004, 04:53 PM
I don't think there is a WAP version of the sites.

I think there were a couple people asking, but it hadn't been implemented yet.

OSUKid7
10-03-2004, 04:57 PM
As you can see, from the badge under my name, I am a subscriber.Ah! Missed that lol. :oops:

But I can't find a wap version of the site anywhere. (I'm looking for true wap, as in, accessible from my cell phone screen, not pocketpc)edit: ah, yeah I don't think there's a WAP version available. I thought you meant mobile format (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php?&ssm.set(benefit_id)=1&ssm.perform(benefits_details)=&) - from your Pocket PC.

gai-jin
10-03-2004, 05:04 PM
nope. I sold my PPC phone a while back, and haven't gotten it replaced yet. I'm Really leaning towards picking up an mpx220 in the next couple weeks, if I can justify it to the wife... was hoping to be able to keep up with the thoughts sites via wap over the next few weeks, particularly SPT, for news...

Gai-jin

Janak Parekh
10-03-2004, 11:50 PM
I don't believe there are currently any plans to offer a WAP version of any of the Thoughts Media sites -- that's extremely low on the list of feature requests.

As a workaround, if you're a subscriber, you might be able to forward the news blasts to your phone via SMS or some email setup through your wireless provider's WAP portal.

(And anyway, WAP adoption is decreasing, not increasing. You'll see its support continue to decline over time.)

--janak

gai-jin
10-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Really? Why do you say that?

I had quit using wap for a long time, since I had my ppc phone, and more recently have had a computer around all the time, but I still find it useful when i'm not near a pc...

Gai-jin

Janak Parekh
10-04-2004, 12:57 AM
Really? Why do you say that?
That WAP adoption will decrease? Simple -- it doesn't allow for rich content nearly as nicely as other formats, and an increasing number of smartphones support more standard and/or richer formats.

I had WAP for many years on my regular cell phone, and found it infinitely frustrating for almost anything except accessing sports scores.

WAP is still popular for a few things, notably accessing wireless provider's portals, which enables basic news/etc., game and ringtone downloads. Apart from that, I haven't seen it spread much anymore. Almost none of my favorite sites support WAP today... and we've gotten about 3-4 requests for WAP access in the last few years.

--janak

JustinGTP
10-04-2004, 03:06 AM
I think WAP is developing though, like anything. What about this new technology called Edge? They are trying to increase speed etc. on the cellphones.

I also believe that you are right. Lots of Polyphonic ring tones are downloaded via WAP and many of these sites are EXTREMELY popular.

-Justin.

gai-jin
10-04-2004, 03:46 AM
And I'd like to see more forums like this on wap. hofo does a great job of it. (wap.howardforums.com)

I would expect smartphone thoughts, if none of the others, to be ok on wap... :)

Gai-jin