View Full Version : Pocket PC Thoughts Web Site Errors

Deslock
10-02-2004, 03:17 AM
Speaking of updating, is it possible to fix pocketpcthoughts so we don't get this annoying popup (with WM2003SE devices):

"Press ok to continue loading the page"

Jason Dunn
10-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Speaking of updating, is it possible to fix pocketpcthoughts so we don't get this annoying popup (with WM2003SE devices): "Press ok to continue loading the page"

What do you mean? I just looked at the site on my X30, and it loaded fine, no prompts. How/where/when are you seeing this prompt?

Deslock
10-02-2004, 03:55 AM
Speaking of updating, is it possible to fix pocketpcthoughts so we don't get this annoying popup (with WM2003SE devices): "Press ok to continue loading the page"

What do you mean? I just looked at the site on my X30, and it loaded fine, no prompts. How/where/when are you seeing this prompt?
It happens when I load discussion pages. I just tried it again with Our Coolest Giveaway Yet: Guess The Vest! discussion (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=288928&sid=f7f26514bf8c2a6d56b188b5b7a9d0d6).

The window popped up 4 or 5 times while loading page 1 of the discussion. I was using my hx4700 with SE_VGA enabled. It happens no matter what the layout or orientation are. If you want I can try again without using SE_VGA. The exact message is "Press OK to continue loading the content of this page". I haven't seen it with any sites except for ppcthoughts.

More info on it here:
http://www.the-inquirer.com/?article=11963

Deslock
10-02-2004, 04:00 AM
Oh yeah, I'm using PIE

PocketPC Addict
10-02-2004, 04:09 AM
I don't know why it's got to do that, but that message occurs when a flash banner appears on the site. It happens for me on all sites that have flash banners. I am looking for a reg hack to get rid of it.

Deslock
10-02-2004, 04:27 AM
happens once when i load the main ppcthoughts page too.

Jason Dunn
10-02-2004, 07:25 AM
It happens when I load discussion pages. I just tried it again with Our Coolest Giveaway Yet: Guess The Vest!...

Ok, I just went to that thread on my Pocket PC, and tried both the MORE link and the comments link, and I didn't see that. You are accessing the mobile site, right? Not the desktop site with a user agent hack? I can't think of why I wouldn't be seeing it...

Deslock
10-02-2004, 12:43 PM
It happens when I load discussion pages. I just tried it again with Our Coolest Giveaway Yet: Guess The Vest!...

Ok, I just went to that thread on my Pocket PC, and tried both the MORE link and the comments link, and I didn't see that. You are accessing the mobile site, right? Not the desktop site with a user agent hack? I can't think of why I wouldn't be seeing it...
Ah... I told PIE to report itself as IE6 so I've been going to the regular site. I can change that back, though FYI ppcthoughts is the only website I've encountered that produces the message.

Thanks!

g0097
10-02-2004, 01:49 PM
I see that press to continue tomload page thing all the time and not only on ppcthoughts. I am pretty sure it has something to do with loading flash content. I have a e800 with SE installed. I am running SE_VGA but I see the prompt whether I am running SE_VGA or not. Definately a PIE issue and not a ppcthoughts issue.

Leon
10-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Ah... I told PIE to report itself as IE6 so I've been going to the regular site. I can change that back, though FYI ppcthoughts is the only website I've encountered that produces the message.
Thanks!
FWIW, I did not do the IE6 hack and also get this "Press OK to continue loading the content of this page" message. I do have SE_VGA loaded, though, but it doesn't matter whether I'm in normal or true VGA mode.

I enter the site via www.pocketpcthoughts.com/mobile/index.php but when I click a "Discuss ths story" or "x replies" link, I seem to get to a 'normal' (=non-mobile) page
www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=nnnnnn
where the messages pop up.

Other observations:
- no buttons (red cross image placeholders for Post new topic, Reply to topic, Reply with quote etc.)
- Avatars and advertising banners do show up

PPC: hx4705.

denivan
10-02-2004, 04:12 PM
I'm not a subscriber (anymore), so I'm not using the mobile discussion forums and I get the same error message in pretty every forum discussion I open on this webpage. I also got this question once on the main page of this site (the mobile version).

Leon
10-02-2004, 06:57 PM
I'm not a subscriber (anymore), so I'm not using the mobile discussion forums (...)
OK, didn't know it was a subscriber thing. :oops:

Jason Dunn
10-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Ok, thanks for all the data - I know exactly what's going on:

We don't support Pocket PCs visiting the full desktop version of the site.

We use auto-detection scripts and templates to dynamically re-format the site based on the client visiting it. It seems that everyone is doing the same thing here: visiting the desktop version of the site on their Pocket PCs. That's not something we support, nor do I have the developer resources to re-work what's there to make it more Pocket PC friendly.

That's the core feature of our subscriber (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php) services, so if the broken graphics/pop-up warnings bother you, for only $2 a month you can get a beautifully formatted mobile site that is designed to work with your devices. :wink:

Marcel_Proust
10-02-2004, 11:48 PM

Thanks!

this error happens in a lot of sites...you haven't been seen them yet. hope there's a solution as it's annoying.

Dolphin
10-03-2004, 03:12 AM
I get this pop up on many sites... not just PPCT. Also I don't get it all the time... just sometimes. I think it has something to do with my wifi connection.

Wiggster
10-03-2004, 07:45 AM
That's the core feature of our subscriber (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php) services, so if the broken graphics/pop-up warnings bother you, for only $2 a month you can get a beautifully formatted mobile site that is designed to work with your devices. :wink:

Really? I didn't know that. I just remember always seeing the mobile-formatted version. I guess I never visited this site on my PDA without paying for it...

It's a really spiffy PDA-formatted site :mrgreen: None of those popups on SE at all.
I only wish I didn't have to click to a third page to get to the New Posts function...

Deslock
10-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Ok, thanks for all the data - I know exactly what's going on:

We don't support Pocket PCs visiting the full desktop version of the site.

We use auto-detection scripts and templates to dynamically re-format the site based on the client visiting it. It seems that everyone is doing the same thing here: visiting the desktop version of the site on their Pocket PCs. That's not something we support, nor do I have the developer resources to re-work what's there to make it more Pocket PC friendly.
Actually, the message still comes up when I have PIE setup in default mode (I even did a hard reset to clear everything out and still get the popup). I just did some more specific testing as to how many times the error pops up (tried loading both with images and without):
Index page: 0 times
PocketNow Reviews Pocket Earth Discussion (3 posts in thread): consistantly 4 times
USB On The Go Discussion (5 posts in thread): consistantly 5 times
3G CDMA 1xEV-DO For Your iPAQ (7 posts in thread): sometimes 3 times, sometimes 4 times
So it doesn't seem to correlate to the number of posts in the thread. I reloaded each of the above multiple times and with the exception of the 3G CDMA thread, the number of messages was consistant.

Again, maybe it has to do with this?
http://www.the-inquirer.com/?article=11963

Also, I'm not the only user that gets the popups.

Hope this helps and thanks!

Jason Dunn
10-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Actually, the message still comes up when I have PIE setup in default mode (I even did a hard reset to clear everything out and still get the popup). I just did some more specific testing as to how many times the error pops up (tried loading both with images and without):
Index page: 0 times
PocketNow Reviews Pocket Earth Discussion (3 posts in thread): consistantly 4 times
USB On The Go Discussion (5 posts in thread): consistantly 5 times
3G CDMA 1xEV-DO For Your iPAQ (7 posts in thread): sometimes 3 times, sometimes 4 times
So it doesn't seem to correlate to the number of posts in the thread. I reloaded each of the above multiple times and with the exception of the 3G CDMA thread, the number of messages was consistant.

I just went to all of those threads on my X30 and didn't get a single pop-up. So just to clarify:

1) What Pocket PC are you using? What OS?
2) Are you a subscriber, and are you logged in? i.e.: are you seeing the mobile forums? When I log out and go into the forums as a non-subscriber, and see the big nasty desktop forums, I too get the pop-ups

Deslock
10-08-2004, 06:29 PM
hx4700 WM2003SE. I'm not running any tweaks or hacks.

So the situation is this: only the mobile forums work properly on PPCs and they are not available to non-subscribers. Any members who aren't subscribers will get the pop-ups when using a PPC (as will people who are not logged in at all).

There appears to be a fix if you so-desire:

http://www.realnetworks.com/resources/howto/embedded/iechanges/

And here are a couple USENET posts with more info:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ck1ihr%246te%241%40forums.macromedia.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=OMcAAuVSEHA.3020%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

Jason Dunn
10-08-2004, 06:41 PM
So the situation is this: only the mobile forums work properly on PPCs and they are not available to non-subscribers. Any members who aren't subscribers will get the pop-ups when using a PPC (as will people who are not logged in at all).

Yes, that's correct. People who are interested in accessing the mobile forums should become subscribers (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php)- I don't think $2 a month is unreasonable for that...

There appears to be a fix if you so-desire...

I talk to Fabrizio and see how easy/difficult it would be to implement the changes. We have SO many other things that are a higher priority, so unless this is insanely simple to fix, it will probably be low on the priority list.

Deslock
10-08-2004, 07:07 PM

Yes, that's correct. People who are interested in accessing the mobile forums should become subscribers (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php)- I don't think $2 a month is unreasonable for that...Fair enough. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. However, it's kind of ironic that a forum about PPC doesn't works properly on PPC (unless you use a special version that costs money).

surur
10-08-2004, 08:06 PM
However, it's kind of ironic that a forum about PPC doesn't works properly on PPC (unless you use a special version that costs money).

Unfortunately I agree. As pocketpc evangelists, this site should be an example of compatibility, and not reserve this as a special feature. Imagine showing your boss, who just got a wifi pocketpc, where to get the best advice and community support, and having 5 error messages pop up. Imagine telling him he would have to pay to make them go away. Im sure he will be back with his Palm in no time.

It is obviously not the most important thing, but I think fixing it should have a higher priority.

Surur

Jason Dunn
10-09-2004, 04:02 AM
<shrug> Come life my life for a few months and try to pay your mortgage selling banner ads, then see how smug you'd be feeling. :roll: Things might look simple from where you are, but for me, they're not. If you'd rather complain that support the work we do here, so be it. Thread locked - follow up with me directly via email or PM if you want to contribute anything further.