View Full Version : 4700 gaming

Deus
10-01-2004, 10:09 PM
It is being said that the 4700 is a no go for gaming. Doesn' this put a lot of people off? All work and no play is rare.

yanathin
10-01-2004, 10:24 PM
It is true that Pocket PC's aren't meant to be a portable gaming system (although they work pretty darn well as one). The 4700 price, look, features, EVERYTHING is more oriented for the business type. I guess when they put it into the "business user" category, they thought it would be only used for busienss purposes. But here's my objection to their logic... Could you honestly name one single business-oriented program that would need even half the processor speed of this device? A processor this fast is put to waste if games that require the REAL power are nearly impossible to play on it, in my opinion. I'm not a heavy gamer at all. In fact, I only really paly a game on it once or twice a week on my 4150. But for those times that I do play I really enjoy it, and taking away the ability to simply play a game comfortably is a step backwards.

And I'm sure I speak for everybody on this.... Why in the WORLD would you need a touchpad cursor on a touchscreen Pocket PC? :|

Arqentus
10-01-2004, 11:12 PM
It is true that Pocket PC's aren't meant to be a portable gaming system (although they work pretty darn well as one).

True ... but we can say that the X50 will be the first true Pocket PC gaming machine ( 2700g gpu ;) ).

Tye
10-02-2004, 12:02 AM
I think that once "handheld computing devices" reach a certain critical mass the gamers will be the consumers that are driving the hardware specs. This is already happening on the desktop. How many business users need a 256mb 3d graphics card? Aside from engineers, I doubt many.
Currently, though, I believe that many business users (me) like that extra speed on their handhelds. When I'm on the phone with a customer searching for one specific phrase in my entire Outlook database I want all the speed possible.
Just my two cents.

Kevin Daly
10-02-2004, 12:46 AM
I tried it out with a Space Invaders program I converted some time ago from Mark Gold's desktop .NET version - by this time I'd got used to the navigation pad and I didn't have any problems at all, except that the game was too fast (I'll have to go over the code to check that out: while I'm sure I used a timer, it's likely that the speed derives from the fact that the CPU is able to get through x amount of work that much more quickly.)

On that tiny sample, I don't think that the 4700 is inherently unsuitable for games.

Palmguy
10-02-2004, 05:22 PM
And I'm sure I speak for everybody on this.... Why in the WORLD would you need a touchpad cursor on a touchscreen Pocket PC? :|

I personally don't think the touchpad mode which has an actual cursor on the screen is practical, but the touchpad works very well IMO for me scrolling through data/web pages, etc. Why they made the switch? I don't know, but I've had an hx4700 for three days now and I'm used to it :)

I will say that I'm not an avid gamer when it comes to games that really need the D-pad...most games I play are for example Spades or Poker, etc...nothing really dependent on the D-Pad. If I played a lot of games that needed it I might have more of an issue.

AMelis
10-02-2004, 10:19 PM
It is being said that the 4700 is a no go for gaming. Doesn' this put a lot of people off? All work and no play is rare.
Buy a GameBoy.

AMelis
10-02-2004, 10:22 PM
I think that once "handheld computing devices" reach a certain critical mass the gamers will be the consumers that are driving the hardware specs.
Interesting observation, but at what price point will it lose the gamers? In my case, price is no real object as my company will buy it, but it may be different for the gamers.

allenalb
10-03-2004, 01:46 AM
gamers don't have a price point. gamers will spend 500 bux on a video card and then replace it in 6 months :D

AMelis
10-03-2004, 05:39 AM
gamers don't have a price point. gamers will spend 500 bux on a video card and then replace it in 6 months :D

:shocked!:

KH
10-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Speed is one of the main reasons I upgraded from my IPAQ 2215 (which I love). Calligrapher performance, large file picture viewing, loading/searching large data bases are the reasons I need the speed. I have a lot of games for my IPAQs but most are puzzle type games (or very stylus oriented, like 'Bounce Symphony'. I might rethink this if the Frogger-remake from a few years ago ever makes it to the Pocket PC though!

Matt Kitchen
10-04-2004, 05:55 PM
With the Nintendo DS coming in the next two months and the Sony PSP coming after that, gaming on a Pocket PC might seem silly to the hardcore mobile gamer. Carrying around Metroid Prime or Grand Tourismo in your other pocket is quite the exciting possibility for many a gamers.

bob1919a
10-04-2004, 11:44 PM
True, but if developers actually made those games FOR Pocket PC, it would run 10x better then on a Game Boy or DS. (don't know about the Sony tho :lol:)

Don't Panic!
10-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Buy a GameBoy.The whole idea is to be able to carry as few devices as possible so that's not an atractive option to most consumers. But that seems to be what we'll have to do for a while anyway. 8O

Don't Panic!
Bobby