View Full Version : Sorry to ask this here, but cant get an answer any where else...need help xferring data on a Palm device *GASP*

exsilio
10-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Hey all,

I remember I had to upgrade to this Sony I bought about a year ago and I killed all my data. Now I am giving this Sony to a friend and I don't want them to kill their data too. How do I safely upgrade them from thier old palm device to this newer one?

Thanks in advance.

PS = I am replacing the Sony with a PPC ;)

Steven Cedrone
10-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Are you using Palm Desktop and Hotsync?

Steve

exsilio
10-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Hi Steve,

The person who will be using the phone will use Outlook and I guess will need the Palm Desktop Software with Hotsync?

Basically, my plan was to wipe the device of any of my data.. (still trying to figure out how to do that) and then give it to my friend as a clean and empty device.

And as far as their setup...they currently reinstalled all of their pc software...except for Palm Desktop...so they are not yet sync'd with their desktop at all. All of their info is on the old Visor Edge.

See? Complex! :P

drowe
10-01-2004, 08:17 PM
This is simple! First, wipe your palm by pushing the reset button while holding the power button down. When it starts to come up, it will ask if you want to erase everything. You do that by pushing the "up" button. It will then be just like it came out of the box. You will have to manually format/erase any expansion cards.

Your friend needs to install Outlook first and get all his data into that. Then un-install any version of Palm Desktop and hotsync manager. He then needs to install the version of Palm Desktop that came with your device. It will see Outlook and ask if you want to sync with that. Say yes and it will install Pocket Mirror and sync the Outlook data to the palm. Then have him go to palm's web site and download the newest version of palm desktop and install it and go to Chapura's website and get the newest version of Pocket Mirror and install it. Not a big deal to do at all!

exsilio
10-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Thanks Drowe!

A couple things tho:

* The reset/pwr btn thing didn't seem to work. I am using a Clie PEG-TG50...is it a different method for wiping these devices?

* My friend has outlook installed already. But they have never sync'd their Visor with their desktop. And I think the only way to do that is by using the Palm desktop right? So it would seem I need to do it this way:

1) Install palm desktop
2) Sync the old visor with palm desktop
3) Then use intellisync? or something to get the data from palm desktop to outlook?
4) Uninstall palm desktop
5) reinstall whatever desktop came with the clie
6) blow my brains out

I mean holy crap I can't believe it is still this kind of long and drawn out procedure. I used to work for a hand held manufacturer and it was this complex 5 years ago. :P

Anyways...does this sound right? Thanks again for the help.

exsilio
10-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Okay I figured out the reset part..you need to hold the power button dowen un til the Palm OS logo appears...so that is done...it has been virginized...now for the data debacle. :P

drowe
10-01-2004, 11:35 PM
OK, when you install palm desktop, it will ask if you want to sync with outlook and it will move the data for you. Once the data is in outlook, uninstall palm desktop and install the palm desktop that came with the clie.

exsilio
10-02-2004, 01:20 AM
hmmm...not gonna work I think...

These older Visors need the Chapura software to sync with outlook...my friend doesn't have the original CD's anymore...and you can't download Chpaura for free...

This is crazy...any other way? Can't I sync the data with Palm Desktop for sony with the Palm Desktop that works with this edge? It cant save the data or something? And then with the Sony maybe I can get Outlook syncage? :P

exsilio
10-02-2004, 08:29 AM
no worries...made it happen anothe way...er...kind of. :wink: