View Full Version : What do you do with your ebooks when you've finished reading them?

pmgibson
10-01-2004, 04:13 PM
I like to read. A lot.

I have certain authors whose books I buy as soon as they are released. And I keep those books. Many of them will be read again and again. And I want the hardcopy because, if taken care of properly, it will last a long time.

There are others that I like but won't read more than once. If I buy a hardcopy, I can give it away or sell it (half.com, ebay or the like).

I have bought some ebooks because I love having the convenience of always having something to read with me. Since my PDA is my right arm in my daily life, it's always with me.

I don't buy my keeper favorites in ebook format, though, because of the reasons given above.

And it seems that the ones I buy that I don't need anymore after I've read them, just become e-junk, so to speak. Am I correct in assuming that I can't sell them or give them to friends because of DRM?

I'm interested in hearing others take on this issue.

PR.
10-01-2004, 04:57 PM
They just sit on my virtual bookshelf gathering virtual dust, just like my real books ;)

dMores
10-01-2004, 07:46 PM
delete from memory card on my smartphone.
then move it to the "already read" subdirectory on my mac.

simple :)

xendula
10-01-2004, 11:33 PM
I've never sold my books, but I donate whatever books I don't want to hold on to to the public library in my town. Since I hardly ever read in German, my books are good for its tiny foreign language section.

My ebooks just stay in my ebooks folder on my computer after I read them. But that's an interesting question you brought up. Yet another argument for cheaper ebook prices.

Jorgen
10-02-2004, 06:27 AM
And it seems that the ones I buy that I don't need anymore after I've read them, just become e-junk, so to speak. Am I correct in assuming that I can't sell them or give them to friends because of DRM?

That is one reason why e-books are too expensive (as xendula said).

Jorgen

jeisner
10-03-2004, 05:25 AM
^^ Agreed considering you can never sell, give away or lend your ebooks to anyone (well unless you want to give them your credit card number) then the ebooks should be A LOT cheaper than normal books, but many of them aren't much cheaper at all, infact I have noticed more and more books that are a very similar price <- this is really turning me off buying ebooks to be honest!!!

Example:

Da Vinci Code on amazon is $14.97
Da Vinci Code on ereader is $13.46

Do I buy the ebook so I always have it with me (even though I read most at home) or do I buy the actual book and lend it to my GF when finished and then lend to family or friends or even sell it, with only $1 between them it doesn't seem to me to be worth buying the ebook!

j95pgt
10-04-2004, 02:28 PM
I think you should send that to ereader or all the ebook stores out there and see their response considering it doesnt cost them anything to print copies.

Jorgen
10-04-2004, 03:21 PM
They know, but prefer to rip the customers for as much as possible while leaning back, moaning about the many illegal copies that allegedly float about. Much like the music industry.

Jorgen

juni
10-04-2004, 04:04 PM
I just leave them on the microdrive. :)

ctmagnus
10-05-2004, 04:10 AM
I bought The Da Vinci Code and Cryptonomicon a while back in ebook (unencrypted MS Reader) format from Amazon and while I can't remember the exact prices, iirc they were a fair bit cheaper than the dbook versions. I wouldn't have grabbed them otherwise.

Wiggster
10-05-2004, 04:24 AM
I'm sort of new to eBooks, and as I'm not an avid reader, I don't do much with them.

Recently, I wanted to reread some Arthur C Clarke, but couldn't find the all the books I wanted to buy online. So I went to the bookstore, bought up six of his books, and then downloaded them in TXT formats from a Google search. I know, dubious legality, but I just wanted to read some books and try and make sure the author would get some tithings. After reading them, I summarily deleted them, and put the unopened paperbacks on my book shelf for my girlfriend to read when she finishes reading her other 20 books she bought at the bookstore.

To me, eBooks aren't quite up to filling the niche I have for reading. I love taking 6 books with me and not carrying any extra bulk (hey, the PDA is a necessity, like car keys), but I'm too underwhelmed by the availability of the books I want to read. I don't mind the price, as I think the price of books should be for the entertainment and experience, not for the binding and supplies needed to print the book. But for the casual reader like me, it's just not what I want yet.

Maybe I should just buy some Douglas Adams eBooks and wait for the complete Ender's series by Orson Scott Card to be available. Then I might be satisfied. For a week, anyway :wink:

Paragon
10-05-2004, 04:44 AM
In the four years since I've started reading nothing but eBooks, when I'm finished reading an eBook I move it to my used book folder, which is WAY smaller than my used paper book shelf...err...shelves...err...box...well boxes....many, many boxes...;)

Dave

pmgibson
10-05-2004, 05:14 AM
sigh. you guys are all "keepers". you keep all of your books. :D

I guess I wouldn't mind paying the prices for the ebooks if I could do the same things with them that I do with physical books, e.g., give them away or sell them.

I used to be a "keeper" too. Then I ran out of space. (And my brothers swore they would never again move all my boxes of books. :wink:)

Then I discovered that there are folks who will pay a little bit for a used book. Thus giving me the funds for more books.

Ah well. I was hoping for a magic piece of information that I had not learned yet -- that I COULD sell my "used" ebooks -- that some piece of software that would transfer the DRM existed.

sigh.

Eowyn
10-06-2004, 02:02 PM
What's the DRM?

I love reading e-books on my IPAQ, but so far, I've only got the free e-books, and haven't yet had to pay for one. (so deleting an uninteresting one is not a problem)

dMores
10-06-2004, 02:40 PM
when you buy a book at an online bookstore, they are protected. this way, they won't end up on kazaa and the like.

DRM = digital rights management.

Don't Panic!
10-06-2004, 03:25 PM
I save nmine in a folder called e-books on my PC.

Most of my stuff is from Baen's (http://www.baen.com/) WebScription Service or Free Library and ESSPC E-books (http://esspc-ebooks.com/default.htm) so if I wanted to I could donate them, swap, trade whatever without worrying about DR Management.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

KimVette
10-06-2004, 03:31 PM
eBooks?

I only download free eBooks since those are never locked. So, that pretty much limits me to the classics, plus the occasional freebie that publishers put out.

Why?

1. They are too expensive (if they were 1/3 price, I'd buy an eBook, otherwise I'd rather have a paper book which does not rely on batteries)
2. DRM sucks. If my PPC dies or I switch credit card companies and lose the old number, I'm SOL
3. DRM is a direct violation of my first sale doctrine rights. If I buy a book, I have the sole right to transfer ownership of that book to somebody else. Unlike software, a book is property, not a license.

jeisner
10-07-2004, 12:26 AM
3. DRM is a direct violation of my first sale doctrine rights. If I buy a book, I have the sole right to transfer ownership of that book to somebody else. Unlike software, a book is property, not a license.

Thats it DRM (Digital Rights Management) relates to YOU not the BOOK, as they're managing (to remove) YOUR rights. ;)

deniski
10-10-2004, 03:29 AM
I love ebooks and wouldn't mind paying the same price as a hardcopy book IF I knew I would continue to have access to my book for as long as I wanted. I've already had problems with DRM ebooks after I upgrade MS Reader, and apparently if I change the email address I use to activate new versions of MS Reader, then I also lose the ability to read old ebooks I bought when I had a different ISP.

So for me, it's hard to get excited about putting my library all in e-format. For books I really want to keep (especially nonfiction), I will still buy hardcopies. sigh. I REALLY would like to take advantage of digital books to save space.... :cry:

Jorgen
10-10-2004, 07:46 AM
apparently if I change the email address I use to activate new versions of MS Reader, then I also lose the ability to read old ebooks I bought when I had a different ISP.

Yes, they conveniently forget to tell you that when you buy your e-books and when you make your passport account. Imagine you have bought 500 e-books and lost your email address for whatever reason! I can't even count how many email addresses I have had (started in the late 80ies).

Jorgen

Paragon
10-10-2004, 02:59 PM
I love ebooks and wouldn't mind paying the same price as a hardcopy book IF I knew I would continue to have access to my book for as long as I wanted. I've already had problems with DRM ebooks after I upgrade MS Reader, and apparently if I change the email address I use to activate new versions of MS Reader, then I also lose the ability to read old ebooks I bought when I had a different ISP.

So for me, it's hard to get excited about putting my library all in e-format. For books I really want to keep (especially nonfiction), I will still buy hardcopies. sigh. I REALLY would like to take advantage of digital books to save space.... :cry:

Try this:

www.ereader.com

You can change your email as often as you like. You can change devices as often as you like. You can have it on as many devices as you like, including laptop's, tablet's, Mac's, Palm's, and Pocket PC's. They have a good selection of ebooks, and a very good reader appliction......you won't ever look back. ;)

Good luck
Dave

Jorgen
10-10-2004, 04:35 PM
You can change devices as often as you like.

But what if you look at it long term? Even today you are forced to use the platforms you mention. No support for Sharp or other ereaders.

Jorgen

ChristopherTD
10-11-2004, 07:43 AM
With eBooks you have a chance that technology/DRM/gremlins will prevent you accessing your book in 5 years time.

With paper books you have a chance that you will lose/lend/mislay the book in 5 years time (or give it away for lack of storage space).

In my case the probability of either event is roughly equal, and I feel moderately confident that I can shepherd my e-Book collection through any technology misadventure. So I have invested heavily in MSReader and eReader ebooks. I hope my faith is not misplaced!!

Jorgen
10-12-2004, 06:36 AM
With paper books you have a chance that you will lose/lend/mislay the book in 5 years time (or give it away for lack of storage space)

If you don't think you have a problem: fine. However, for many of us:
1) I am just reading one of my favourite books (by Len Deighton) that I bought in 1968. I have plenty more from both before and after that year.
2) Give away: voluntary act where you choose which are to go.
3) Lose: again kind-of voluntary as you could do the extra effort and not lose it if you really wanted to.

Jorgen

ChristopherTD
10-12-2004, 08:08 AM
I also have paper books of great age! I also have many data files on my computer from the early eighties. However, we are still in the very early days of assessing the longevity of digital content.

I think there is a widespread fear that over zealous DRM "may" prevent you reading a book that you purchased. I admit this is a possibility. The most likely long term problem with DRM ebooks is that the ebook provider may no longer be in existence and if the reader or books require unlocking then you are out of luck. In the event of MS ceasing to support Reader, or eReader closing up shop I am sure the user community will generate tools to unlock old books - the tools already exist.

To me DRM is just one hazard that could endanger my ebook library, just as my ebook library is immune to some of the hazards that could endanger my paper book library.

Having used MS Reader for a number of years on numerous devices I no more think about DRM when I buy a MS Reader book than I think about the possible fate of a paperback that I buy. I buy it, read it, store it, and with the blessing, I may read it again some day.

I am no fan of copy protection and avoid it where I can. I have used Quicken for almost 15 years but their latest version has driven me to MS Money because the Intuit Activation scheme locked me out of my accounts twice because of faults in their "detection" of changes to my machine.

I think the thing that seems to bother folks the most is that they don't have total control over a DRM book, which I agree is vexing.

Jorgen
10-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Well, everything depends on the price. If a ebook (paperback-sized) costs, for the sake of the argument, $3 or less, I may accept the risks arising from DRM (though I may accept to pay a little more for newly published books). I would only have a problem if I found a book thay I "could not live without" - however, there is far between such books and I suppose I could buy a pbook as backup.

But everyone for his money!

Jorgen

splat
10-21-2004, 04:34 AM
Try www.fictionwise.com

They have most of their books in multiple formats and only the secure books require DRMs.

And the also carry short stories and novellas at a very reduced price, free books and award winners (like the Galaxy awards) either free or greatly reduced in price. And excerpts from other books - usually for free - so you can see if you like it and subsequently buy them.

I enjoy the heck out of them - and they take PayPal as well.

I've found a few authors through them who I might not have found otherwise, as well as tunring a few of my friends on to them.

Squid
12-04-2004, 05:37 AM
ChristopherTD said something that got me thinking along a similar vein: However, we are still in the very early days of assessing the longevity of digital content.
We gave my grandfather an old computer to putz around on. He was interested in e-mailing in WWII buddies, and his kids/grandkids. After he got the thing he decided to write down his story. Experiences growing up, WWII, meeting grandma, starting a family, etc. Some really good stuff! Unfortunately he utilized an extremely old version of Lotus Notes to put it all into. After he passed away I had to jump through all sorts of crazy hoops to get them put into MS Word for me to use. I am looking about trying to digitally "publish" it for family members now.

My point is simply, as one form of DRM/Reader dies there will more than likely be some p***ed off geek with the gumption to get it converted to the new format. Not to worried about my purchases. Besides I rarely go back and reread old books. There are a few exceptions though.

Squid