View Full Version : good handheld for word..

jaggerdee
10-01-2004, 12:18 AM
i am new to the pda market and am looking for a ipaq that is good for word and excel documents. i owned a tungsten e for about a month until the screen cracked for no reason, it had a great documents to go, but i dont want another one breaking on me. i was thinking about the hp ipaq 1945, or maybe the new rx3115, since they are both in my price range. are these good decisions or is there something better for me.

i also heard that the 1945's have a tendencey to have crack screens too, is that true?

jaggerdee

Don Tolson
10-01-2004, 12:26 AM
All of the Pocket PC's will do the same job on Word docs and Excel spreadsheets, since they have the same software installed (Pocket Word and Excel) as part of the ROM.

In choosing a PPC, what you should look for is the hardware features you want, since all the units will run almost any PPC software available.

There are a couple of programs out there that do a much better job than Pocket Word and Excel in handling documents and spreadsheets. Softmaker has some of the most feature-rich, if you're looking at creating and editing them.

jaggerdee
10-01-2004, 12:41 AM
awesome, thanks for the reply

okay now, which is the better ppc 1945 or 3115, or maybe any others you can think of.

i will be using it for writing documents for work and school, plus putting alot of contacts and calender info in them.

Ripper014
10-01-2004, 12:46 AM
I do not have a VGA unit... but you may wish to ask one of the Toshiba E800 series users or a Hp Hx4700 series user... re: Word Documents in VGA... I was always hoping to work with a document in full screen... Pocket Word requires you to scroll the screen when working with your document.

If you are looking for a word processor... then the one you would want is Textmaker... as good as it gets for the PocketPC...

Darius Wey
10-01-2004, 03:18 AM
The h1945 runs WM2003, while the rx3115 runs WM2003SE, so ultimately, with the latter, you have native support for landscape view, which may make it a little easier to view and edit documents.

That being said however, I have heard that in terms of performance, the rx3115 lacks that bit of oomph the h1945 provides, so you may prefer to get the h1945 for that performance boost, although the choice is up to you.

I have an h1940 (same as the h1945) and couldn't be any happier at the moment. However, weigh the up and down-sides and see which one is for you.

TheOrange
10-01-2004, 04:08 PM
I don't have any complaints about my rx3115, seems plenty fast (for what I do) and nicely transitions between portrait and landscape along with having onboard Bluetooth and WiFi. I think it has a nice -yet unimaginative - form factor, a nice clear and bright screen and seems pretty light. I've heard some negative things about the rx3115 from people who know (or seem to know) more about PPCs than this noob. I don't have any issues with how fast (or slow) it runs, though I don't have a whole lot to compare it to. Don't rush to buy, DONT BUY REFURB OR OPEN BOX - it only leads to problems, ask the kids at the sales counter lots of questions, and make double sure to buy the extended warranty - its more than worth it!