View Full Version : CompactFlash Cards Worth Getting?

strongbad6565
09-30-2004, 03:23 AM
Does anybody know of any CompactFlash cards that are worth getting? I was thinking about getting a CompactFlash radio card, but they can't get AM, and you have to listen through headphones or external speakers, and I heard they get horrible reception.

I'm now considering a CF TV card - do they make such a thing? And if so, how does it work? (Good reception? Can you listen through the Pocket PC speakers?)

I'm also considering a CF camera card that I can use to take still photos or videos (with audio). I want a fairly high-quality one (at least 2.5-megapixel, preferably 3.0 or greater).

Any tips are appreciated - suggestions about the abovementioned CF cards as well as additional useful CF card suggestions. (I already have plenty of memory; I have an h5555 with 128 MB RAM and a 512 MB SD card, so that won't be an issue for me.) Thanks for any help!

Kowalski
09-30-2004, 06:50 AM
Lets see, you are asking the possibilities if you had a CF slot, right?
-USB adapter
-CF-SD adapter(you have two SD slots)
-wired ethernet card
-dial up modem

would be intersting

Mark Kenepp
09-30-2004, 06:10 PM
A review of a CF TV tuner can be found here: I Want my PPC TV: CompactFlash TV Tuner (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27353&highlight=cf+tv)

Radimus
09-30-2004, 07:09 PM
I just bought a CF Plus expansion jacket for my 5455, and was looking into the same sort of things.

I already have the CF ethernet card

I considered a CF Modem, but they are really too expensive, esp. when compared to a PC modem price.

I am looking into GPS cards

The FM card is kinda cool, but I'd like AM as well... a 800mhz scanner would REALLY be cool.

TV... well, for the most part everyone is right. too large, external batteries suck, they could have made a custom battery pack, that would have been smaller (and more expensive), made the antenna interchangable with bigger models if necessary.

I thought about a big CF memory card, but I have a 512 SD card and besides placing a movies on it, I have no need for it... I already have 400mb of mp3s on the SD card now. and If I need more, I'd just get a bigger SD card... I feel the CF slot should be for device expansion.

I thought about the GPRS/cellular card, but that is REALLY expensive, I can bluetooth to my cell and save a whole pile of money... it would have to come down below $200 before I'd even think of it.

Barcode scanner.. no thanks

USB ports might be nice... depends on the types of compatable devices, and the price of the card (usefulness/price * coolness)

Any others?

David Prahl
09-30-2004, 07:17 PM
I'd just get a cheap digital still camera instead of a CompactFlash-based solution. The features and quality aren't 'there' yet. A 3MP no-name cam can be had for about $80 at Office Depot sometimes.

CF is the way to go for memory and networking. I have an 802.11b wireless card that I use pretty often. Most other CF products are 'niche' solutions.

Kati Compton
09-30-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm also considering a CF camera card that I can use to take still photos or videos (with audio). I want a fairly high-quality one (at least 2.5-megapixel, preferably 3.0 or greater).
I'd caution you to look at example pictures from a CF camera device. More megapixels doesn't necessarily make it higher quality - it also depends on the other components involved.

Radimus
09-30-2004, 07:49 PM
cameras need a unique device called a 'lens'

there is an obviou difference between pics taken by a cellphone and one through a 'sony' or 'olympus' or other "real" full form factor phone. (say that 5 times fast)

However, there are times that a pic from a cell phone is quite satisfactory and/or sufficient. If there was a decent (and inexpensive) solution, the ability to edit it on a pda, and potentially print it/save it/mail it could be a satisfactory solution

but it isn't a preferred solution to take pictures of your vacation...