View Full Version : Samsung Increased Storage Size: 16Gb Media on the Way

Jonathon Watkins
09-29-2004, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theinquirer.net/pocket.aspx?article=18567' target='_blank'>http://www.theinquirer.net/pocket.a...x?article=18567</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Korean Giant Samsung claimed it has developed a 60 nanometre eight gigabit NAND flash memory device. That means an approximately 30 per cent reduction in cell size over its existing 70 nano four gigabit NAND flash it developed last year. What this means is that Samsung will be able to develop 16GB of storage on one memory card - so storing up to 16 hours of DVD video or around 4,000 MP3 audio files."</i><br /><br />So, 16Gb of solid state storage, we're really getting there. :-). The Inquirer also mentions that a separate development will allow DDR2 memory to be created with a 3D structure, allowing 8Gb RAM modules. I believe the quote most appropriate here is, "Most impressive". :wink:

ricksfiona
09-29-2004, 06:29 PM
And I had just mentioned about the status of 3 dimensional storage a day or two ago :wink:

I wonder how much we can squeeze onto an SD card now??? Is 16GB in the future now? Forget tiny hard drives... Give me FLASH!

powder2000
09-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Is it storage medium day or what! Talk about euphoria!

Jonathon Watkins
09-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Is it storage medium day or what! Talk about euphoria!

I was JUST thinking the same thing myself. Storage Thoughts anyone? :lol: The day is also not over yet........:wink:

maximus
09-30-2004, 01:52 AM
I believe the quote most appropriate here is, "Most impressive". :wink:

How about "The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades." ?

Taken from here (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6363&highlight=The%20future's%20so%20bright,%20I%20gotta%20wear%20shades) :mrgreen:

Will T Smith
09-30-2004, 05:14 AM
I think the RAM guys are outpacing the disc guys in terms of progress right now. It seems that Microdrives cannot maintain a "lead" in terms of storage capacity. With 8gig CF-NAND storage, the RAM guys are now ahead in the capacity game (though lagging in price).

At some point, I think that the Microdrives may be pushed out of MP3 area. Flash RAM will simply be too cheap and most people's record collection won't fill up a 10 Gig iPod.

I suppose by that time there will by viewPods with MP-4s and the Microdrive will have new life (if they can keep up in terms of capacity).

Jonathon Watkins
10-02-2004, 09:33 PM
I think the RAM guys are outpacing the disc guys in terms of progress right now. It seems that Microdrives cannot maintain a "lead" in terms of storage capacity. With 8gig CF-NAND storage, the RAM guys are now ahead in the capacity game (though lagging in price).

It does rather seem that way doesn't it. The Microdrive guys don't seem to have done much over the past year or two. There still is a price premium for solid state storage for a given capacity, but as you say, for how much longer?

JvanEkris
10-03-2004, 08:34 AM
As i see it, the price of solid state drops by 50% every 6 months while the microdrive prices have not dropped so far. So it is a matter of months before solid state is cheaper than microdrives.

I personally think that microdrives are nice, but too fragile for every-day use (anybody looked at that abuse test of CF-cards 8O ....): they have a lot of very small moving parts. They also need a lot more energy. From an engineering point of view, i don't think that given a choice, designers of Ipod like devices will use microdrives much longer.....

Jaap