View Full Version : Rome : Total War.

maximus
09-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Anyone currently playing Rome : Total War ?

This game is very beeee-autiful, very massive, very grandeur :)

Falstaff
09-30-2004, 03:13 AM
I played the demo, I thought the controls and manipulation of the camera was kind of akward, but I am really used to RTS games with a fixed camera angle. But I did think the graphics were awesome. What are your impressions in more detail? I really enjoyed American Conquest (I love the army controls especially), that's probably the best RTS I've played since AoE, though I recently started (sporadically) playing Rise of Nations. I may have to go ahead and download the demo again, though I'll be spending $475 on a new video card and probably $50-75 on HL2 next week, so I won't have much money for other games.

maximus
09-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Graphics is superb, and the ability to control thousands of units who will fight (and die) at your command is simply overwhelming. This game can easily be described as (Civilization 3 + C&C Generals + Spellforce) * 2 :mrgreen:

So, you have named characters as your general/governor, which in time, they receive additional traits and ability (RPG Style), you also have to build your city the 'Civilization' way (building academy to increase the quality of your governors, increase populations, playing with tax, trading, making money, slavery, etc.), and fight your way to be the ultimate ruler ala C&C Generals .. by having new building for better units the RTS way.

Awesome gameplay, awesome graphics, awesome units.

maximus
09-30-2004, 11:16 AM
If you have spare time, this article regarding Rome : Total War is really fun to read :

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/550/550736p1.html :mrgreen:

Falstaff
09-30-2004, 05:50 PM
So, you have named characters as your general/governor, which in time, they receive additional traits and ability (RPG Style), you also have to build your city the 'Civilization' way (building academy to increase the quality of your governors, increase populations, playing with tax, trading, making money, slavery, etc.), and fight your way to be the ultimate ruler ala C&C Generals .. by having new building for better units the RTS way.

Wow, I didn't see ANY of that in the demo. All they included were 2 battles, one against Hannibal and one against the Gauls (guided demo). If it has full campaign mode, that makes it more intriguing. Is it a campaign mode like AoE where each battle/scenario you start from scratch (or whatever is default start for the map) or is it like old-school Caesar II (which was an AWESOME game in the day), where you build the empire and fight and keep you cities and everything while you campaign?

maximus
10-04-2004, 08:19 AM
The latter one.

Lets just say that this game offers so many surprises, like converting a level 9-10 enemy king to join your army by luring him out of his city, and then destroying his cities, hence he became a rogue king, etc.

This game also have cool units (like the assasin, velites, etc) which actually gains new traits/ability during successful completion of a mission. And of course, the flaming pigs. Set the pigs on fire, rage them against a group of mounted armies (cavalry, elephant army, etc.) .. chaos ! :mrgreen: