View Full Version : SDIO vs CF 1 and 2 PLEASE HELP!!!!

Codone Jones
09-28-2004, 04:49 PM
:cry:

I have been fretting over buying a dell x30 high vs Ipaq 2215. I love the dell, but it does not support CF, while the HP does. I have been trying to find good advice on this, but have failed:

Is the exclusion of CF going to be the future of PDA's?
Is Sdio better just b/c of size?

I dont mean to be lazy, but I can't find a topic on this in any of the forums on this website

Thanks

Stephen Beesley
09-28-2004, 05:23 PM
:cry:

I have been fretting over buying a dell x30 high vs Ipaq 2215. I love the dell, but it does not support CF, while the HP does. I have been trying to find good advice on this, but have failed:

Is the exclusion of CF going to be the future of PDA's?
Is Sdio better just b/c of size?

I dont mean to be lazy, but I can't find a topic on this in any of the forums on this website

Thanks

As much as I am happy with my CF memory cards (and even thinking of buying another) I think it is probably true to say that CF is slowly giving way to SD particulary for memory where prices are actually starting to reach parity with CF. In terms of SDIO accessories they still tend to be a fair amount more expensive than CF and there is not yet quite the range as with CF, but as time goes by this situation is bound to change.

Its called evolution :D

Codone Jones
09-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks, I am just wondering if getting an SD/SDIO slot only is a detriment or a smart move. If anyone knows an article I can read or something similar, please let me know.

ADBrown
09-28-2004, 06:47 PM
People have been saying that CompactFlash is in decline for years. It's still here, and it's still about as popular as it's ever been. The question really isn't whether it's going away--it's not. The question is whether or not you need it. If you have any interest in adding more than 1 gigabyte of memory, specialty peripherals like ethernet or GPRS/CDMA modems, things like that, I'd say CF is a must. If you don't, it's a coin flip. Yes, SD memory prices are declining, but so are CF. You can get a 2 GB CF card for around $140, and 4 GB for $500. There aren't any 4 GB SD cards, and 2 GB SD cards run about $520.

Personally, I'd recommend you take a look at the Axim X50 that will be coming out some time in October. It's got the dual wireless of the X30, plus a CompactFlash slot, and depending on whether or not you choose the VGA model, a 520 or 624 MHz processor. It might save you some headaches by eliminating the trade-off.

Codone Jones
09-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Thanks-- that was helpful. The price of the 22xx series has not dropped a whole hell of a lot, and I believe it is the most diminuitive dual-slot pda currently on the market. However, if the x50high w/vga comes in below 450.00, I dont know how HP can possibly compete.

If sdio slots in past pda's are (were) spring loaded and susceptible to popping out at inopportune times, wh hasn't anybody fixed that? Seems like dual-slot is a must

Kowalski
09-29-2004, 09:17 AM
dont think that you must have a dual slot device. with axim advanced you will have both BT and Wi-fi, so the only way of using your single slot will be for storage cards.

but with a device having CF slot you have more choices which wont be possible with a device having only SD slot:
-radio cards
-tv cards
-usb cards
-CF-SD converter ( you can use 2 SD cards )
-wired lan cards

so if you are planning to use one of these in the future, you should buy ipaq(i use one for 1 years and i am can say that this is a very very good device)

but if you are planning to use wi-fi alot, than it is nice to have integrated solution(a card sticking out your device wont be so nice)

both are good devices, and eighter way you wont be sad

tanalasta
09-29-2004, 10:47 AM
but if you are planning to use wi-fi alot, than it is nice to have integrated solution(a card sticking out your device wont be so nice)

That and the fac that a wi-fi SDIO card will cost almost as much as paying that little bit extra for a wi-fi unit in the first place. And you'd be restricted to having that card plugged in (taking up a slot) whenever you need wi-fi.

Memory and SD/CF cards all cost money... Size, cost and cross-compatibility (e.g. if you have a card-reader already) are the main issues with which card to decide upon.

Personally, I don't think two slots are that big a deal - unless you really want to use SDIO gadgets. It's cheaper and easier to buy one large memory card (e.g. 256Mb+) Again, both the IPAQ and DELL are great devices. But I would also start looking at the newer models... the 2215 is quite outdated.