View Full Version : Compact Flash GPS

hoffm11
09-27-2004, 01:53 PM
I am looking to get a GPS device that will fit on my IPAQ 2215. Any ideas? How about this one? http://www.thegpsstore.com/detail.asp?product_id=GA00290

tgetchell
09-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Hello, on GPS lots of experience in the ipaq world, two leaders out there really, copilot 5 (latests version) and TomTom (started out for Europe now for US as well). I've tried them both and find Copilot options superior. Both provide a number of options to connect the GPS unit to the pocket pc (ipaq and other brands). The offer sleeves, Blue tooth connection and CF slot options. If you get a sleeve option will come with power supply for auto (a necessity especially if you use Blue tooth as will drain the batterey fast). I prefer CoPilot as the latest version has the best interface, 3d and 2d maps. Most importantly, the CoPilot options allows you to do route planning on your desktop then transfer to your pocket pc. With Tom Tom everything is on your pocket PC (slow). Also, Copilot offers yearly updates around August, every year with great enhancements at a reasonable upgrade price. Check out CoPilot 5, it is the leaders and the best for ipaq pocket PCs.

Hope this helps
T.

bljarv
09-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Are you looking for just a hardware solution or looking for software too?

joeladams
09-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Try Ebay!
I got a Hailcon CF GPS for $70!!

Works great in my 2215.

hoffm11
09-27-2004, 06:12 PM
I am looking for a hardware and software solution. Does the hardware come with the needed software to do GPS navigation?

bljarv
09-27-2004, 07:48 PM
Generally when you buy the hardware, you do not get any software. There are some exceptions to this. For example, someone mentioned TomTom and they sell a bundle that has both and is very good.

The software is the critical element in my opinion. I use a very inexpensive CF GPS unit that pulls in a great signal along with TomTom and have been very pleased. You have to give out some cash if you want software that's any good.