View Full Version : sprite software backup vs. activesync backup?

zilla31
09-26-2004, 09:40 PM
my sprite software backup is acting up and i can't get it fixed (even w/ multiple reinstalls), i'm waiting on tech support but don't want to skip my daily backups while i wait for them to get back to me... what do i lose by just using the built in activesync backup? or is there something i can download and use as a trial for a few days that will do the trick?

i often have trouble with mysteriously dissapearing data on my SD card so i have a req't to back up my ENTIRE PPC, card and all.

thanks so much!!!! i get nervous w/o a daily backup... REAL nervous!

ppcinfo
09-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Are you running any programs like IcBar or WisBar? When I run IcBar, Sprite Backup will crash. If I disable IcBar, the backup works fine. Maybe you have the same problem? :?

Jeff Rutledge
09-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Along the same lines as ppcinfo's question, do you have Sprite set up to kill processes before it begins? If not, that may help.

zilla31
09-27-2004, 01:43 AM
nah the thing is it used to work fine before i had to do my restore. now it won't even START up. i mean i click on the icon and that error message pops right up. it's not when trying to do a backup - can't even get that far :(

tanalasta
09-27-2004, 04:05 PM
what do i lose by just using the built in activesync backup?
Activesync takes hours. Sprite takes seconds. That's the main difference.

The other is that Activesync (from memory - I could be wrong) doesn't back up your registry. So you will have to reregister most of your programs.

i often have trouble with mysteriously dissapearing data on my SD card so i have a req't to back up my ENTIRE PPC, card and all.

Sounds like the first symptoms of a corrupted SD card. At the very least download CnetX flashformat or analyse your storage card using a card-reader. I would recommend you reformat your SD card as it is obviously not reliable anymore. Obviously, this means starting from scratch and reinstalling everything too.

Lastly, can you describe your error? That may help us work out what's causing the problem.

Do you have any stable backups from before the error?

In the meantime, you can sync outlook (e.g. calender, contacts, tasks, notes) with your PC..... :|

zilla31
09-27-2004, 04:11 PM
hmmm... does activsync also backup my card?

zilla31
09-27-2004, 04:37 PM
if anyone knows anything super specific about sprite backup my backup log looks like this

==== Log Start ====
Monday 2004/9/27 9:00:13
Sprite Backup Release Version
Version Info:
Sprite Backup.exe : 3.0.0, Build 1517
SpriteBackup.dll : 3.0.0, Build 718
BatteryMonitor.exe : 3.0.0, Build 110
SpriteStart.exe : 3.0.0, Build 193
PostBootPopup.exe : 3.0.0, Build 92
DBMirror.exe : File not found
ViewReportFile.exe : 3.0.0, Build 7
Run Path:\Program Files\Sprite Software\Sprite Backup\Sprite Backup.exe
L CSpriteApp 727 : About to test exe for END_OF_IMAGE
E AImageFileHeader 102 : Error - invalid header marker - ComponentType = ENTRY_NOT_SET 183
L CSpriteApp 731 : Exe does not contain a backup
L CSpriteApp 957 : Checking for valid config signature
E CSpriteApp 968 : Error 0x80090006 during CryptAcquireContext
E CSpriteApp 973 : Error 0x57 during CryptCreateHash
===== Log End =====