View Full Version : Bad SD Card?

OSUKid7
09-25-2004, 04:15 PM
I've had this problem for awhile now, but haven't done anything about it. It seems like my 128 MB SanDisk SD Card is bad. When I put it in my SanDisk 8-in-1 card reader, the link light turns on, but then when I start browsing/accessing it, the light goes out, and the application (explorer, WMP, etc.) freeze. It may flicker on and off a few more times, but very slowly (not as fast as it should for normal "activity" blinking).

It seems to be ok in my iPaq, so that's the strange thing. My 256 MB SD card works fine in both my iPaq and in the card reader.

Any ideas? Could I still have warrenty under this card? Is it worth it? I'm probably going to get a 512 MB SD card soon anyway, so I'll have enough space, but any ideas on what the problem could be?

Darius Wey
09-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Perhaps you may have some corrupt files on your SD card that are giving your PC a hard time. If you can, try doing a complete format of the card and seeing if it still causes a problem. If you can't format it because you have valuable data on there, I'd use your iPAQ to read the card and send the files across to your PC as a backup, and then formatting it and seeing if it will work.

I've heard of cases like this occurring and often a complete backup solves the problem. However, if it still causes a problem, you may indeed have a rotten egg in your hands.

OSUKid7
09-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Alright, just looked through the data on my Pocket PC, doesn't look like anything I don't already have on my computer. I usually just put music on this card, so nothing I really need to save.

After finally getting it to refomat via command line (had to dismount it first), it seems to have fixed the problem. I'll play around with loading files on it and stuff, but with no files, everything's working so far.

Darius Wey
09-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Alright, just looked through the data on my Pocket PC, doesn't look like anything I don't already have on my computer. I usually just put music on this card, so nothing I really need to save.

After finally getting it to refomat via command line (had to dismount it first), it seems to have fixed the problem. I'll play around with loading files on it and stuff, but with no files, everything's working so far.

Nice to see the format worked. Hopefully, the card won't cause more problems in the future.

OSUKid7
09-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Nice to see the format worked. Hopefully, the card won't cause more problems in the future.Yep, WMP seems to be copying the files fine too. :) Thanks for the help. Now the only problem is 128 MB is no longer enough for all my music needs. ;)

OSUKid7
09-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Darn...something's wrong with it again. Worked fine copying stuff with WMP, then I played a song on my iPaq, which also worked fine. Now I put it back into the card reader, and the link light is goin off and on again. :( Guess I'll try another reformat. :|

Jason Dunn
09-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Sounds like the same problem I had with a 256 MB Sandisk card - I sent it back to them for an RMA...

OSUKid7
09-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Sounds like the same problem I had with a 256 MB Sandisk card - I sent it back to them for an RMA...really...hmm...guess I'll be looking at the SanDisk website tonight. Hope I can send it back without documentation and stuff. Thanks.