View Full Version : Any way to upgrade operating system from Ppc 2000?

bmurphy
09-25-2004, 04:05 AM
Hi, I have an e-125 Cassiopeia that I use constantly to read e-books, and when I put a storage card in it solved my problem of squeezing too many programs in. I've put in Facelift and upgraded what I could, but I would like to use the Sandisk combo 128mb + wifi CF card, but it says that it works only with 2002 or 2003. Does anyone know if it would work with 2000, or can I update the system at all? I really like my casio, and am struggling with my constant need to have the newest out there. It does what I want, but I'd like to have it connect to my home lan system.
Thanks for any help.

smileyguy
09-25-2004, 12:46 PM
The e-125 (like my em-500) is not upgradeable to PPC2002 or WM2003 for at least 2 reasons: 1. It uses a MIPS processor, not ARM. 2. The OS resides in a static ROM as opposed to newer devices FlashRom.

As for trying to get it to work with PPC2000, you might have had luck if you were using an ARM based device.

I really liked my Casio PPC, but it was hard to find programs that also came in a MIPS version.

bmurphy
09-26-2004, 05:38 AM
Thanks, smiley guy... That is a help.. now I just have to figure out whether the wireless is a big draw. I would have to replace the case, keyboard and all the other accessories that I've got. It gets expensive once you add all the other stuff up!. any advice on what device that could replace my casio? I've looked at the hp with wireless and BT and the new processor.. I think it is the 5550 . What pointed you to the Dell?

Thanks

smileyguy
09-26-2004, 01:52 PM
I went with Dell because I have no need for wireless access right now. At $199, it was the cheapest alternative. So far I've had no problems with my X3 at all. But I do miss the larger 3.8" screen of my old Casio.

bmurphy
09-27-2004, 02:58 AM
Going back to my casio... I still haven't gotten to using all the capibilities, the modem is one.. and the IR beaming is the other. Have you done these with your old one? I tried to get the cable to hook up to my cell phone, but by the time I found one, it only worked with a phone that I couldn't find (so I have a cable that is still in the package). Any thoughts on how to get these working? It's hard to find anyone that is knowledgeable with PPc's in my neck of the woods (back of beyond).

Thanks
I've been able to upgrade the PalmReader a number of times... so that stays upto date and works really well. I would hate to leave my excellent screen behind since e-books is it's main work.