View Full Version : Adding covers?

j95pgt
09-23-2004, 04:29 PM
I downloaded some free books a long time ago. Is there anyway to add a cover picture if the book is in microsoft word format and then convert it to mobi? I know how to convert to mobipocket but adding the cover is what I am having problems with.

dMores
09-23-2004, 04:54 PM
i didn't know mobipocket supported covers.

maybe you just need to insert a picture on the first page ?

j95pgt
09-23-2004, 05:35 PM
yea I just bought my first ebook and it had a cover. So it got me thinking that I should put covers on the few books that I own. Ill try just putting a cover on the first page that way. thanks.

Ommadawn
09-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Both the Mobipocket Publisher (which is part of the web companion and installed when you install mobipocket reader) and Mobipocket Creator (the stand-alone creator) support cover "pages".

keelinlee
09-24-2004, 10:35 AM
i didn't know mobipocket supported covers.

maybe you just need to insert a picture on the first page ?

Did you ever read an eBook in Mobi format? There nearly always have cover images ! A large one on PC, a smaller one on PDA.

You can add the cover as beeing the first image in the first file of the spine, or you can add it the same way Microsoft did in the OPF file itself (prefer the first method, it is OEB compliant).

Mobi format also supports frames, dynamic behaviour in the eBooks (with Javascript), indexed documents (not only dictionaries), SQL requests and databases access (like the French Vidal or the Spanish Vademecum drugs databases, available on Mobi website. Note : I have also heard about the AHFS drugs database, but I never saw it.)

Have a look at their publishing tools for common users, and professionals.
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/default.asp

Also look at http://www.ebookbase.com (eBooks distribution system).

I also found an interesting trick : create a guide item of type "toc" in the OPF file. The Reader will execute the href or onclick action when the user presses the Table of Contents icon in the eBook, so that you can define the TOC in your eBooks ! Great feature.

dMores
09-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Did you ever read an eBook in Mobi format? There nearly always have cover images ! A large one on PC, a smaller one on PDA.

i admit i switched to mobipocket just recently. but the first book (.PRC) i bought on pdabookstore.com (which is connected to fictionwise and memoware, somehow) didn't have a cover, and the document's "meta tags" didn't include the author or the series. just the book title.

keelinlee
09-24-2004, 12:55 PM
i admit i switched to mobipocket just recently. but the first book (.PRC) i bought on pdabookstore.com (which is connected to fictionwise and memoware, somehow) didn't have a cover, and the document's "meta tags" didn't include the author or the series. just the book title.

I advise you to go on Mobipocket website (www.mobipocket.com) and download at least some demo versions. You will see all you can do with Mobi format.

j95pgt
09-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Well I figured it out. I downloaded mobipocket office companion. When you convert a file to .prc there is a box that says add image or something so you click that. Then next to that box there is a button that says more options so you click that. You will then see a add cover selection. That is how it is done. If you want to do it some other way without software I am not sure how to do it. The only problem is I cant find a good place to get covers of books so I just went to amazon and saved the cover image. Then doubled the size. It gets a little pixely but it works.

dMores
09-25-2004, 07:38 PM
some authors have websites with their book covers. you could take those.

j95pgt
09-26-2004, 06:09 AM
thats a good idea 8O