View Full Version : Release my uncompleted game

Xymus
09-23-2004, 07:37 AM
I have been working on the game Pocket Humanity for a while (www.pockethumanity.com) and I'm now at a point where I kinda need motivation and maybe inspiration to continue. Actually the game isn't finished, it is still buggy and unstable, however it is playable and can be more fun that some strategy games out there.

I'm not sure what I will do with it once it will be completed, probably sell it since I kinda need money for myself and for the game development itself.

So, here is the question, should I release the game (free) in its current state (uncompleted but updating it as often as possible) hoping to get comments and bug reports, or keep it to myself and a small group of testers until completed?

I want to know if you think it would be favorable to the game itself, not to those of you who only want to have another app on their ppc!

What I fear by releasing it now is that it could discourage some people to try later and final versions... but I would love to have comments about the game and maybe a little help with the graphics, since what it uses right now is not really great.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome!

Alexis Laf

jeisner
09-23-2004, 08:02 AM
ask for beta testers and keep it within the beta testers until ready!!!

If it is buggy you may give people a bad impression, better to keep it to a group (even a failry large group) of beta testers that understand that they are BETA testing a product and helping to stabilise it, and provide feedback!

Would be glad to help, it looks interesting! PM if you want!

EDIT: This is of course if you want the game to be commercial, if you intend to give it away free then allow downloads in its current state!

Kowalski
09-23-2004, 09:11 AM
i agree with jeisner, the beta version with bugs will encourage people about the future versions and your game might have a bad reputation because of this. so what is the beta testers for :) i suggest you to wait till you hunt down most of the bugs and release the final version

Mitchybums
09-23-2004, 01:21 PM
It looks pretty cool.
Get some beta testers, as mentioned, and ask them for additional features.
From the looks, it seems like it resembles the older classic CIV on the pc, and I would also suggest playing that game and similair ones to get some more ideas.
Civ is a good start, railroad tycoon might also help in regards of resources, but these are just some things I come up with from looking at your screenshots.

If you are stuck, take some time to look at the 'competition' and find out what you like and dont like in those, and work with that.

I'll be happy to test if needed.

Kevin Remhof
09-23-2004, 02:30 PM
I'd suggest giving the current version out as an Alpha or Beta release. That way you can get feedback on the game. It looks pretty cool. I'd be interested in trying it out. Given your warning that it is unstable, some people might shy away but don't let that get you down. I bet that if you get some people playing it, you'll get some great motivation!

Once you complete the game then you can sell it.

Xymus
09-23-2004, 04:12 PM
You're making good points... and thanks for all your answers!

What would you say if I were to put a password protected .rar file on my website and give away the password here in the developer section (and maybe on pocketmatrix.com), should that keep away those who would be scared forever by an alpha version?

jeisner
09-24-2004, 05:36 AM
Yeah as long as you tell people it is only a BETA and not a final release it should be OK i guess!