View Full Version : Buying a first PDA, really lost on which one is right for me, help?

drgath
09-22-2004, 10:21 PM
I've looked and seen a number of these threads, so sorry if you guys are getting sick of this, but here goes.... Looking to buy my first PDA, and here is what I'd like for it to do....

Must haves...
- MP3's & mpeg1/2 videos, maybe divx too if it's not too big of a hassle to get set up.
- Wireless as I have wireless in my house & at work.

Would like...
- I'm also in the market for a new cell phone, I'm with Sprint, but open to changing carriers as Sprint's selection of PDA phones really sucks. Plus the plan to get me on the internet would be really expensive. So I'd love to be able to get on the internet from anywhere, which would lead me towards one of the cell phone/pdas, but how much is it for service & what are the connection speeds? Being able to stream TV from my computer using windows media server would be awesome. Requirements for that would be windows media player on PDA and speed of ~20k/s. Sprint is the only network that could provide that speed, but that's really expensive, right?
- Bluetooth... There are bluetooth cell phones out there, and since I'm in the market for a PDA and a cell phone, what features does that give me? Just quick looking around I'd be spending at least $300 on the PDA, then $300 on the cell phone, and also have to switch carriers, right? Probably not worth it in my book.

Other than that, I dunno what else I'd need. just got done setting up an HTPC and need a new toy cause I'm getting bored! hah

Thanks.

drgath
09-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Oh and how much would GPS mapping be, that would rock.

Kowalski
09-23-2004, 09:00 AM
i wont point to a specific device but i suggest you to buy a device with CF slot. because if you have a device with only one SD slot, you wont have a chance to increase your storage capacity.
i have a 2215 which has two slots, and i am using my device heavly for mp3 like you are planning to do. the reason because i bought this device was dual slots , so i can extend my storage capacity greatly.
you can even use a microdrive with more than 1gb capacity if you'd like realy huge capacity for your mp3 s and divx movies

drgath
09-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Looks like I can get one used for ~275 (Pricegrabber), so that thing can play movies without any problem? 400mhz so it could do mpeg just fine, but divx?

Thanks for the advice though. However, even if it only has one SD slot, can't I just buy a bunch of SD cards? Aren't they about the same price as CF cards?

Kowalski
09-24-2004, 08:34 AM
divx, are you kidding 8) nearly no droped frames! you can use betapleyer for best results.

and the memory issue, CF cards are cheeper than SD cards. using a bunch of SD cards would be a solution but i wouldnt go that way, instead buy a microdrive with 2-3 gb and use the SD card for wi-fi card or another memory card to install your additional programs, dictionaries etc.

Dolphin
09-24-2004, 12:50 PM
divx, are you kidding 8) nearly no droped frames! you can use betapleyer for best results.

and the memory issue, CF cards are cheeper than SD cards. using a bunch of SD cards would be a solution but i wouldnt go that way, instead buy a microdrive with 2-3 gb and use the SD card for wi-fi card or another memory card to install your additional programs, dictionaries etc.

CF is cheaper. But lately I've seen 1 gig SD's for less than $100... that's a lot of memory for the money. Sorry, I'm not a big fan of CF... too big!

I like small! iPaq 4155! iPaq 4155! iPaq 4155! Small makes the PPC more pocketable... unless your wearing baggy pants!

If you have the cash XDAIII... but it's not small!