View Full Version : HP Instant Support Chat Script

fivepetpalace
09-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Ok,

This is long, but I went to hp's site to find an answer to an insanely simple and I would say stupid question, but no question is stupid, or so my K teacher told me :lol:

I'm going through the site, all over there are buttons to press for live hp instant support.

If you follow the link that the first tech gave me, and put in 4155 as the product number, you come to a page with press for live help, and self-help resource diagnose problem (instant support), yet they wouldn't answer my simple question.

The website is very missleading, placing the links to instant support all over, including under self-help resources, and never saying that the product must be under warranty, which it is (ok, well, maybe not the software).

I especially like when they point me to a help site, that brings me right back to them, and saying "If you should need assistance in the future please try our Instant Support program again"

I realize that this was an incredible waste of time, but do they? Does HP realize that it promotes its' Instant Support, and then once you get in, won't answer your question? Could they not have said somewhere along the way, your warranty is out of date, and we won't provide Instant Support?

Can you say Epson printer and Dell Axim ?

Just makes you wonder.

Michael

[Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:24 AM] -- Status Message
This is an automated message. Your request has been received by the Technical Support Center and has been queued until a support analyst is available. Please Bookmark This Page by clicking on the Bookmark This Page link above. Support for HP and Compaq handheld products is available 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. You will receive a response to your support request in 10 minutes or less.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:24 AM] --
For your reference, your Case ID is *snip*

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:24 AM] -- Status Message
Support analyst Nulenur J has been assigned to your request.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:25 AM] -- Nulenur J
Hello Michael, thank you for contacting HP and for your interest in our Instant Support program. My name is Jagadeesh and I see you have a question with your iPAQ. I'm going to take a few moments to review the information of your iPAQ and will message you back, right here, very soon. Please add this page to your Favorites in case you get disconnected or close your browser so you may come back to this conversation.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:26 AM] -- Nulenur J
According to your serial number, the software warranty on your iPAQ has expired and Active Chat does not provide Out of Warranty support on your product. However, there are other options available.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:29 AM] -- Nulenur J
HP Parts Store were you can search and buy HP and Compaq parts online
http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/default.asp
For your convenience, HP provides no-cost web-based support via self-help tools.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:30 AM] -- Nulenur J
For a fee, most HP Authorized Service Providers will troubleshoot your issue. To locate an Authorized Service Provider nearest you.
http://hp.infonow.net/bin/findNow?CLIENT_ID=HP_LOC_USA_SRV
Consider purchasing a new HP Commercial product here:
http://www.smb.compaq.com/dstore/home.asp?oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=

If you need product or sales information (non-technical support) please call 800-752-0900
You may also purchase technical support for your issue by phone. Call Warranty Services at 800-HPINVENT (800-474-6836) for more information

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:30 AM] -- Michael n
Active Chat does not provide Out of Warranty support on your product - There's nothing on the site saying that support is not provided, and surely it is under warranty for more than the 8 months I've owned it.

Michael, since your support request falls outside of our support boundaries I am going to close this request at this time. Thank you again for contacting HP and have a great day.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:31 AM] -- Nulenur J
Software warranty is for 90 days.
Hardware warranty is for 1 year.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:31 AM] -- Michael n
so it is under warranty

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:31 AM] -- Nulenur J
The iPAQ is out of software warranty.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:32 AM] -- Michael n
the software is on the ROM, which is hardware

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:33 AM] -- Michael n
i think I'll post this on PocketPCthoughts.com for thousands to see...

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:34 AM] -- Nulenur J
Please refer to the above provided web links for further support.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:35 AM] -- Michael n
so you can't answer a simple question?

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:36 AM] -- Nulenur J
I am sorry, since your iPAQ is out of software warranty, I am unable to proceed with the free technical support.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:37 AM] -- Michael n
There is nothing on your site coming to this chat that says anything about whether or not it is under warranty...the instant support is under the self-help resources

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:39 AM] -- Nulenur J
Michael, the technical support is provided based on the warranty information.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:40 AM] -- Michael n
"Michael, the technical support is provided based on the warranty information. "

Doen't say this anywhere while getting to this chat.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:43 AM] -- Nulenur J
As per the company rules and regulations, the technical support is provided based on warranty information.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:45 AM] -- Nulenur J
Michael, since your support request falls outside of our support boundaries I am going to close this request at this time. Thank you again for contacting HP and have a great day.

Out of warranty.

The support analyst would like to close your assisted service request. If your question has been resolved. You can click here to close it..If this did not answer your question, please submit the reason and we will provide you with more assistance.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:45 AM] -- Michael n
Can you please tell me who to complain too?

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:45 AM] -- Status Message
Support analyst Saju V has been assigned to your request.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:46 AM] -- Saju V
Hello Michael, thank you for contacting HP and for your interest in our Active Chat online support. My name is Saju and I see you have a question regarding your iPAQ. I'm going to take a few moments to review your information and will message you back, very soon. Please add this page to your Favorites so you may come back to this conversation.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:47 AM] -- Saju V
Michael, for support on this issue I would request that you call our voice technical support. There would be an associated charge for the support as previously mentioned.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:48 AM] -- Michael n
why is your website so misleading?

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:49 AM] -- Michael n
Look at this page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?locale=en_US&contentType=SupportFAQ&refresh=true&prodSeriesId=349046&prodTypeId=215348

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:50 AM] -- Saju V
Please give me a moment. I will check on this real quick.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:50 AM] -- Michael n
There are 3 places to click and get to instant chat support.

Then on this page there is a link to products supported:

http://isupport4.hp.com/euserv/jsp/IsLocalOrRemoteForSelfHelp.jsp?origin=ipaq&mode=enduser&vendor=cpq&region=NA&chat=&bsdsrchcode=10000

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:50 AM] -- Michael n
my product is listed as supported

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:52 AM] -- Saju V
Can you please elobrate on the issue.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:53 AM] -- Michael n
press the links above, you'll see how i got to this chat, and where it says my 4155 is supported.

Then I get in here and Nulenur tells me where I can go buy parts.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:55 AM] -- Michael n
If i follow the link that nulenur gave me for free help and support, i can get right back here.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:05 AM] -- Saju V
Michael, for support on this issue I would request that you call our voice technical support. You can also purchase technical support for your issue by phone. Call Warranty Services at 800-HPINVENT for more information

Since your support request falls outside of our support boundaries. I am going to close this support request at this time. If you should need assistance in the future please try our Instant Support program again. Thank you again for contacting HP and have a great day.

Out of warranty.

The support analyst would like to close your assisted service request. If your question has been resolved. You can click here to close it..If this did not answer your question, please submit the reason and we will provide you with more assistance.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:06 AM] -- Status Message

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:07 AM] -- Saju V

Sorry for the inconvenience. I request that you contact technical support.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:12 AM] -- Michael n
"I request that you contact technical support."

I thought that was you!!!

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:13 AM] -- Saju V
Please call technical support at 800-HPINVENT for more information

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:19 AM] -- Saju V
Since your support request falls outside of our support boundaries. I am
going to close this support request at this time. If you should need assistance in the future please try our Instant Support program again. Thank you again for contacting HP and have a great day.

OOW.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:27 AM] -- Michael n
_
[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:27 AM] -- Status Message

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:28 AM] -- Michael n
Thank you for your help.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:29 AM] -- Saju V
You are welcome and sorry for the inconvenience.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:30 AM] -- Saju V
Thank you again for contacting HP and for your interest in our Active Chat support. Have a great day.

Out of warranty.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 12:02 PM] -- Status Message
Support analyst Divya S has been assigned to your request.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 12:02 PM] -- Divya S
Hello Michael, this is Divya taking over your case. I am going to take a few minutes to review the information that has already been discussed and will get back to you very soon.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 12:12 PM] -- Divya S
Michael, since your support request falls outside of our support boundaries I am going to close this request at this time. If you should need assistance in the future please try our Instant Support program again. Thank you again for contacting HP and have a great day.

Out of software warranty.

Darius Wey
09-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Now that is a wonderful waste of three hours! :lol:

carphead
09-21-2004, 06:49 PM
And the lesson learnt is.....never use Live Support via a website.

It's more fun to shout at a person down the phone :)

Wiggster
09-21-2004, 09:38 PM

:idontthinkso: :roll:

I find it very impolite to tell a person that you're going to run to a website and complain to people you've never met. There's nothing wrong with DOING it, it's just that threatening someone by telling them you're going to do it never sat right with me.

Oh, and what was your question?

bljarv
09-21-2004, 11:13 PM
I had an equally frustrating thread that I should have saved just the other day. I was exactly two months out from under the warranty on my 2215 and both of the side grips fell off. It sure seems that since HP has printed documentation about the problem with the side grips, a video telling you how to remove the old broken ones, and a standard package that they ship to those who complain while still under warranty that THEY SHOULD ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THERE'S A DESIGN PROBLEM HERE! :evil:

I was so frustrated the other day with them that I swore up and down that I would never buy another one of their handhelds again (unless of course it was really cool! :wink: ).

fivepetpalace
09-22-2004, 05:46 AM

I find it very impolite to tell a person that you're going to run to a website and complain to people you've never met. There's nothing wrong with DOING it, it's just that threatening someone by telling them you're going to do it never sat right with me.

Oh, and what was your question?

Sorry, I was just thinking out loud.

As I said previously, I admit the question was stupid, I just never can remember where to find the answer, and yes I do know it, and remembered during the chat w/ hp, and I don't think it is very well documented.... and at the risk of total embarrassment, here it is:

How do you change the system name on the pocket pc ? :oops: :oops:

But the point of my discontent with the HP chat was that nowhere in going to the chat does it indicate any cost, or non-support for out of warranty products. There’s even a page along the way that says “click here to see if your product is supported”. My 4155 was on the list. All it would have taken was for the button or menu to say, "click here for chat support on your products under warranty". Instead it looks like they are intentionally misleading browsers of the web to make it seem like they provide chat support to all.

Did you look at any of the links I referenced in the chat? There's tons of links to the on-line chat support, even under the self-help menus.

It's really not that big of a deal, and I'm sure this thread will die quickly.

Wiggster
09-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Sorry, I was just thinking out loud.

As I said previously, I admit the question was stupid, I just never can remember where to find the answer, and yes I do know it, and remembered during the chat w/ hp, and I don't think it is very well documented.... and at the risk of total embarrassment, here it is:

But the point of my discontent with the HP chat was that nowhere in going to the chat does it indicate any cost, or non-support for out of warranty products. There’s even a page along the way that says “click here to see if your product is supported”. My 4155 was on the list. All it would have taken was for the button or menu to say, "click here for chat support on your products under warranty". Instead it looks like they are intentionally misleading browsers of the web to make it seem like they provide chat support to all.

Did you look at any of the links I referenced in the chat? There's tons of links to the on-line chat support, even under the self-help menus.

It's really not that big of a deal, and I'm sure this thread will die quickly.

Yea, it looked quite infuriating. I do hope you've found the answer by now. But the fact that they couldn't answer such a trivial questionseems odd, to say the least.

carphead
09-22-2004, 09:23 AM
In HP's support I've had many dealings with them in the past. Their support in general is excellent. The problem normally with Live Support is it's more scripted than a normal voice call.

The person on the other end doesn't have voice contact so the feelings behind the words can't be expressed. It's another form of contact that I think is alienating the customer. The only positive thing I can find about is that it can be run 24/7 which a telephone service can't without shift work.

Yearly I purchase (for my company) getting up to a Million Pounds worth of kit from them. But it's probably because of this I get good support.

BUT personally I won't buy another IPAQ. Because of the WM2003SE issue but also because when I need a hardware fix they lost my IPAQ!!!!! Admittedly did replace it with a new one but to lose it really annoyed me to the point of not ever buying anything HP personally again.

Steven Cedrone
09-22-2004, 01:30 PM

Holy cow! 3 hrs of fighting with you when they could have rattled off the answer in about 2 seconds...

They owe you 3 hours of your life back - and you owe me 15 minutes of mine back for having to read this thread! :wink: :lol:

Only joking...

When you get a help center that goes by the book, 1 day, 1 month, doesn't mean a thing: out of warranty is out of warranty...

Remember: These days the motto is - "The customer is always wrong"

Sad, but true!

Steve

Do yourself a favor: come here with questions first - only use the OEM as a last resort! :wink:

jkendrick
09-22-2004, 02:53 PM
It does pose an interesting question though: how can they offer a different warranty for s/w than h/w when the s/w is in h/w?

fivepetpalace
09-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Holy cow! 3 hrs of fighting with you when they could have rattled off the answer in about 2 seconds...

:

At least I only wasted small amounts of time during the 3hrs.

I must admit now, that they did try briefly to answer the question, you see I left this out only because I was so embarrassed by the simplicity of the question. :oops:

However, as you can see, Saju had a brief break from company policy 8) , and tried unsuccessfully to answer the question. Then went back to OOW :? . I'm not upset with the individuals providing the chat, they were following company guidelines etc.. As I stated previously, it was the overabundance of links to the chat support, and not saying anything about cost/fees/warranty.

Here is I believe the entire portion of the chat that was *snipped* by me.

[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 9:57 AM] -- Saju V
Michael, please let me know which system name you are trying to change.
[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:00 AM] -- Michael n
the system name on the PPC
[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:04 AM] -- Saju V
Please go to owners information on the iPAQ to change the name.
Michael, for support on this issue I would request that you call our voice technical support. You can also purchase technical support for your issue by phone. Call Warranty Services at 800-HPINVENT for more information
Since your support request falls outside of our support boundaries. I am going to close this support request at this time. If you should need assistance in the future please try our Instant Support program again. Thank you again for contacting HP and have a great day.
Out of warranty.
[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:06 AM] -- Michael n
That is where the owners information is changed, but not the system name
[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:06 AM] -- Status Message
[ Tue, Sep 21, 2004 10:07 AM] -- Saju V
Sorry for the inconvenience. I request that you contact technical support.

Do yourself a favor: come here with questions first - only use the OEM as a last resort! :wink

:

Obviously, this site is the first and last resort! 0X

Michael

Dolphin
09-24-2004, 01:25 PM
In HP's support I've had many dealings with them in the past. Their support in general is excellent.

You must be kidding! H.P. is the worst... Out-sourcing to India! That might be great if you live in India! But, the English they speak is so different from the English we speak in the States... it's difficult to understand them.

Also, at the first level they don't knows their product! You usually don't get any decent help until you take it up a couple levels and that usually takes at least an hour! Then you can get someone that doesn't have such a thick accent and know the product!

Example... it took me over 30 minutes just to try to explain to one of their people that I could not dial via bluetooth out of the rx3715's contact list. She didn't have a clue! She thought I was trying to dial an ISP... for over 30 minute!!! I explained to her the first time and many times to her that was not what I was trying to do. Finally, I had to walk her thru the screens and she still didn't get it! Two days latter I get a call from someone in Houston with an answer.

My advise to anyone using H.P. customer support… plan to invest at least 3 hours and be prepared to not have you issue resolved!

KimVette
09-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Oh my goodness that is horrible support. Be thankful there are messageboards like this for support. :)

Underwater Mike
09-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Have a great day.

:twak:

This is one of two reasons why I got rid of my iPAQ and no longer buy HP...

Sven Johannsen
09-24-2004, 04:33 PM
Well, just in case, since it was never mentioned,
Start > Settings > System Tab > About Control Panel > Device ID Tab.

Hmm, about 30 secs of typing...even for me ;)

fivepetpalace
09-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Sven, thanks for taking the time to post this.

I found the about/device ID during, or shortly after my chat. I'd done it before, but that was 6 months ago, it took me a little while to find then also.

Michael

ctmagnus
09-24-2004, 09:17 PM
fwiw, I find their telephone support warranty people to be rather easy to deal with. There's one guy that I got three or four times that was excellent. Funny he was still a first-line tech support.

Sven Johannsen
09-24-2004, 11:25 PM
fwiw, I find their telephone support warranty people to be rather easy to deal with. There's one guy that I got three or four times that was excellent. Funny he was still a first-line tech support.

Good thing you didn't post his name. They'd move him up and you'd never get him again ;)