View Full Version : 360 Megabits Per Second Siemens Wireless Network

Jason Dunn
09-21-2004, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Sept2004/8321.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Sept2004/8321.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"At the "Mobile Internet 2010" forum held by the German Ministry of Education and Research on September 14 and 15, Siemens presented the latest results from its mobile communication research for the first time to the general public. On a test system, videos and music as well as a Microsoft NetMeeting conference were transmitted in wireless mode at data rates of up to 360 megabits per second (Mbps). This speed is around one hundred times faster than the fastest DSL connection available today. To also achieve these peak data rates for larger coverage areas, Siemens is the first company in the world to test a combination of orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) and the so-called multi-hop technology, a new infrastructure concept. The system was already tested successfully in a field trial in the center of Munich."</i><br /><br />Amazing! 8O That's some seriously mind-boggling speed. I have to be honest though, as much as I like seeing R&D barriers being broken, I'd be even more excited to see Windows Mobile devices moving beyond GPRS and 1xRTT speeds. Competing platforms have 3G phones, while we in the Windows Mobile camp have nothing of the sort. Where's the speed we need to make these devices even better? I've been using my Dell Axim X30 with my Orange C500 Smartphone to check email and access the Web, and GPRS speeds are truly depressing. It's not possible to do anything quick over GPRS, and to me that limits the power of the platform.

ctmagnus
09-21-2004, 05:13 AM
Just out of curiosity, what kind of speeds do you get over GPRS with Fido?

jimski
09-21-2004, 05:43 AM
Couldn't agree more Jason. I don't have statistics to prove it, but my sense is that my speed and coverage were better with my Palm VII using the Bell South CDMA network than it is today with AT&T and GRPS. Damn, that was almost 5 years ago. I thought by now I would be streaming any form of media, from anywhere for about $9.95 per month, unlimited.

Sure, WiFi hot spots provide much better results, but they are far and in between. And I am certainly not about to subscribe to multiple niche WiFi services to increase my chances by a few percent.

Give a man (or woman) a WiFi Hot Spot and feed their data frenzy for a day, but give them a high speed always on connection and you feed them for life, or at least until the next breakthrough technology comes along.

ricksfiona
09-21-2004, 06:03 AM
If I didn't have to download 30 messages to get to the one that isn't SPAM, I could be satisifed with GPRS :?

Yeah, it would be cool to have a 300kb+/sec download speed via a cellular connection. 300MB/sec? I could only imagine the possibilities... Internet radio without commercials, Skype taking over, super cheap video. Heck, even 1MB/sec could serve all these purposes.

Unfortunately, this technology being available to Americans or any country larger than largest European country is going to have to wait a LONG time. I'd be surprised if we saw 1MB/sec via cellular in 3 years... Maybe 5 years. The infrastructure upgrade would be so huge and costly in the States or any country larger than the state of Texas...

Janak Parekh
09-21-2004, 06:04 AM
Well, I've got CDMA 1xRTT now with my i700. 100kbps isn't out of the question when using it. :mrgreen:

And 1xEV-DO is coming to the US very soon, which will be DSL speeds. Rumor has it the HTC Harrier will be sold by the 1xEV-DO providers once their networks roll out, including Bluetooth support. ricksfiona: it won't be 1Mbps, but current tests do suggest 300Kbps+, which sounds awesome.

(As for wCDMA, I don't know what the state of Windows Mobile devices is with it.)

--janak

Jason Dunn
09-21-2004, 06:12 AM
Well, I've got CDMA 1xRTT now with my i700. 100kbps isn't out of the question when using it. :mrgreen:

Right, but now many devices can you chose from to use that? CDMA is a faster network, but fewer devices. More choice with GPRS, but slow network speeds. Damned either way! :evil:

Adrian Knack
09-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Hey guys,

This is my first post so hopefully I wont stuff it up.

Anyway, you can look forward to the new GSM system call EDGE comming out in the near future. You should get up to 364kbps as it is a 3G system. However, the new WCDMA systems (such as UMTS in Europe) comming out soonish, should be able to handle up to 2Mbps, dependent on the number of users and location. The technology is there but alot of the networks have not taken it up for economic reasons (I believe). I think this is a speed increase to look forward to when using the cellular system.

Cheers

Jason Dunn
09-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Welcome to the site. :-)

Anyway, you can look forward to the new GSM system call EDGE...

EDGE is available in my market right now actually, but there are no Pocket PCs or Smartphones that support it. :-(

jonathanchoo
09-21-2004, 05:36 PM
EDGE is available in my market right now actually, but there are no Pocket PCs or Smartphones that support it. :-(

Nokia Smartphones do support EDGE. Oh wait, you meant the other 'smartphone'. ;)

jalex
11-25-2004, 06:29 PM
I was sifting through Pocket PC Thoughts for posts on this but found none, so I guess I can break the news to everyone else. :)

I got a mailshot yesterday for an offer to sign up for a 1.5 Mbps download, 375 Kbps upload wireless service, offered by Nextel, using FLASH-OFDM (an evolution of a combination of TDMA and CDMA). You can read all about it here (http://www.nextelbroadband.com/).

Although the mobile solution (they also offer a "static" solution for use at home with a desktop computer) is a PCMCIA card and the days of the iPAQ with the appropriate sleeve are long gone, I'd guess we'll be seeing this technology made available for/within Pocket PCs before long.

Right now the coverage area is ONLY Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill (otherwise known as the Triangle area in North Carolina) so I wonder if this may only be more of a Pilot program right now.