View Full Version : next generation tablet pc

kuya
09-21-2004, 02:47 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
Im looking to buy a tablet pc, i did some research on this and i found toshiba m200 to be the best for my use. but it still has some minor glitches. so i would like to wait a while for the manufacture to address those issues. the m200 has been out for almost a year now (jan.2004)does anyone know when the next wave of tablet pcs are going to come out? (loaded with tablet pc 2005, toshiba or other manufatures)

Thanks

Trokair
09-21-2004, 02:57 AM
I didn't think it was possible to start topics in here... :D

Anyway, in response to your question, not sure when the next wave are supposed to come out, but I know Windows XP Service Pack 2 added a lot of enhancements to the Tablet PC OS, including:

-A newly designed writing pad input panel
-Context tagging
-Easier URL entry

Take care!
-Kyle

Sheynk
09-21-2004, 02:58 AM
wow...this is amazing :lol:

OSUKid7
09-21-2004, 03:10 AM
Wow is right...erm, Jason? That's a little weird. I got an email blast of this too lol.

hotweiss
09-21-2004, 03:14 AM
SP2 upgrades any Tablet PC OS to the Tablet PC 2005 version. I'd really suggest an Electrovaya, as they run for upto 9 hours.

http://www.electrovaya.com/product/sc2100.html

I had an Acer tablet, the weight and battery life didn't make it too useful, although it was still a great device. Once they get them to weigh around a pound and have 8 hours of battery life at that weight - then they will succeed.

Sheynk
09-21-2004, 03:19 AM
Wow is right...erm, Jason? That's a little weird. I got an email blast of this too lol.

he has been notified (or at leasted emailed/ text messaged/ imed....we will see where that takes us)

very curious this is

(i havent posted here in forever)

Janak Parekh
09-21-2004, 03:46 AM
Not at all curious. Someone moved it to OFF-TOPIC instead of Off-Topic. The former is a frontpage forum, whereas the latter isn't. Our CMS automatically then promotes that to the frontpage. I'm on the hunt to see who's the culprit amongst the team. ;)

Apologies!

And, as an answer to the original poster: what glitches did you notice about the M200? What's really slick about the unit is the resolution of the screen -- it's fantastic. And yes, SP2 magically upgrades it, and Tablet PC 2005 is pretty sweet (in my case, I'm running it on a Portege 3505).

--janak

maximus
09-22-2004, 02:15 AM
I'm on the hunt to see who's the culprit amongst the team. ;)

Do share with us who the culprit is, so we can mock him/her around. Just kidding. :)

Steven Cedrone
09-22-2004, 03:03 AM
Do share with us who the culprit is, so we can mock him/her around. Just kidding. :)

That would be me. :oops: Sorry to all of you folks that got the blast about this (at least if I was going to waste your time, it should have been a post about Pocket PC's :roll: )

Steve

OSUKid7
09-22-2004, 04:28 AM
No problem! I'm a Tablet PC fan too. Was actually excited by the email subject. ;) lol.

maximus
09-22-2004, 05:41 AM
What is the advantages of tablet PC over regular laptops anyway ?
It has touch screen, cool, but what is the real advantages that justify the price premium ?

OSUKid7
09-22-2004, 10:55 AM
It has touch screen, cool, but what is the real advantages that justify the price premium ?It's not a touch screen. It's a digitizer. It works like the Wacom tablets - recognizting only a pen. This makes it great to take notes in meetings or class.

maximus
09-23-2004, 01:29 AM
Back to the original question,

Falstaff
09-23-2004, 04:36 AM
Back to the original question,

Really it's a tradeoff. At college, I see a lot of people using laptops in classes. But their effectiveness varies from class to class. In Science, Math, Economics, and Engineering classes it is almost impossible to take effective notes with a laptop because of symbols, graphs, diagrams, etc., but with a tablet you are able to write them all down on the tablet. And unlike with notebooks, you just need the one tablet instead of a notebook/binder for every class. It cuts down on bulk, and you can sort the notes better in organized folders. And with many being convertables you can still flip out the keyboard and type on it. The downsides of course are: slower processor, less RAM, smaller screen, more expensive, etc.

KimVette
09-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Asus is coming out with a new line for OEMs in November.

zybler
10-10-2004, 05:15 AM
http://www.kstati.com/tabula/archive/2004/10/05/2487.aspx

How about the fujitsu T4000?