View Full Version : 2210 Driving me mad.....!

shah
09-19-2004, 08:13 PM
I know it happens. Spent the last 8.. yep 8 hrs trying to build my 2210 again after tomtom 3 messed it up.

When i do a soft reset now, the blue bar goes all the way to the top and freezes. The makes me do a hard reset and having to put everything back on again. I do have sprite, but that hangs at times as well.

Now after trying to contact Tom tom and accidently stumbled acorss a solution. It seems that if i soft boot WITH the CF GPS in or any otehr CF card in, then it loads w/o any probs...!

I prefer to keep my CF slot free, so anyone know what the hells going on...?

Lastly, it also seems a litle unstable. Lots of progs occasionally hang, and i cannot replicate probs again to see why its doing it...!

Yep, i need a rock reliable system.. abd the WM2003 aint it..! ah well.. all i can do is wait for something MORE stable to come along...! Really annoys me as i have los of important files and data which i need to have access to.

I love MS but their reliability suck..!

I just hope if i let it lie, then things may get better again..!

Thanks for listen and would be itnerested in any other solutions.. sick of hard resetting and soft resetting near 60 times..!

Sven Johannsen
09-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Your rambling seems to imply that you have TomTom loaded, as you implicate that as the source of your initial problem, you seem to have some luck soft reseting with a CF GPS inserted, and you indicated contacting TomTom

In the eight hours, have you rebuilt the machine without loading TomTom, to see if that is really the source of the instability. If it is stable without TomTom 3 than it would seem to be a TomTom issue, not an MS reliability problem. Did you just recently get TomTom3, or some other third party program.

I would bet that the 2215 is pretty stable after you hard reset it and before you load any third party applications.

HXP
09-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Hi.

If you go to the Tom TOM GPS icon ( Looks like a Satellite dish ) take the GPS tab and uncheck the device box.

This will stop Tom TOM looking for a device to connect to and prevent the loop of it searching for a device that isn't there.

Give it a try & when yo want to use TOM TOM just renable the device in the same way.

I have a 2210 with a Bluetooth GPS and so far have had no major probs.

One last thing before you run Tom TOM make sure all other apps stoped in the memory manager.

HXP

shah
09-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks Guys.

Will try above. Its no big deal but i just was wondering whether anyone else had similar probs.

bljarv
09-20-2004, 02:43 AM
Well, I will gladly offer a shoulder to anyone having trouble with a 22xx.

Mine is also driving me nuts! It runs great as long as I don't use it. When I start loading it with applications and data, I start getting reliability issues in no time. My latest mind-blowing problem occurs when I remove my PDA from the cradle and immediately turn it off. Every time I do it, the PDA locks up and cannot be turned back on without resetting! Then there’s always the “go to use my handheld first thing in the morning to find out that the battery is completely dead” issue that I have every week or two.

It’s enough to drive a person insane! I don’t have TomTom3 installed, but do have TomTom2…maybe it’s the culprit??? Maybe on my next hard reset in an effort to root cause my issue, I will leave it off.

It’s enough to driver a person to use the other handheld operating system!

Jeff Rutledge
09-20-2004, 03:11 AM
I've had my 2215 for nearly a year (bought it just before Halloween) and have had very few problems with it.

I'd definitely suggest it's a problem with an application or combination of applications you're running.

If you do perform a hard reset (and I would), I would proceed by installing 2-3 applications at a time. Run that combination for a day or two before installing the next couple.

It's time consuming, but should help you define the culprit.

Sven Johannsen
09-20-2004, 04:42 AM
You guys know there is a ROM upgrade for the 2215, right?

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_5721.html

There are some power problem fixes in it, among other things. I have a 2215 too, and have very little trouble with it. It's not my primary machine any more though so I don't use it that much. It gets test stuff loaded on it and hard reset fairly often so I might be masking issues. I don't recall any special problems when I was using it a lot though.

kosmos
10-07-2004, 09:16 PM
I had a 2210 operational for almost a year - it performs my key requirements without bombing too often and have found problems to relate to various apps & utils, had to sacrifice a few (SPD gprs monitor caused problems) and others I have just given up on getting to work properly (sadly The Sky Pocket Edition). Got it hooked up nicely to a Nokio 6230 for GPRS and SMS

Its the reality of the computer world - its not heaven, there's no perfection, one has to make compromsies....

andywiz
10-08-2004, 11:38 AM
I was just wondering if any extra memory that had been fitted might have been causing problems. I fitted a cheap 512 SD card and suffered all sorts of problems, machine locking, not being able to see the files etc.

Removed all extra progs, still problems, but when I took the memory out, it was fine.

I've now got a 128mb compact flash and a 128 Crucial SD and so far so good

Andy

crimsonsky
10-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Well, I will gladly offer a shoulder to anyone having trouble with a 22xx.

Mine is also driving me nuts! It runs great as long as I don't use it. When I start loading it with applications and data, I start getting reliability issues in no time. My latest mind-blowing problem occurs when I remove my PDA from the cradle and immediately turn it off. Every time I do it, the PDA locks up and cannot be turned back on without resetting! Then there’s always the “go to use my handheld first thing in the morning to find out that the battery is completely dead” issue that I have every week or two.

It’s enough to drive a person insane! I don’t have TomTom3 installed, but do have TomTom2…maybe it’s the culprit??? Maybe on my next hard reset in an effort to root cause my issue, I will leave it off.

It’s enough to driver a person to use the other handheld operating system!

I've also had similar problems. I've had mine since June or so, and it came with the 1.10 ROM already loaded. The only other update I've applied is the SDIO update. Programs hang, often when I shut it off, the only way to turn it back on is to soft reset, and once it hard reset on me for no apparent reason.

Yesterday, I hard reset and loaded the 1.0 ROM instead and the SDIO update and so far it's been more stable than it was with the 1.10 ROM. We'll see how long it lasts. I really like this PDA and don't really want to replace it - I've not seen anything in the newer models that I find compelling over the 2215. Keeping my fingers crossed....

shah
10-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Well, i cracked the stability.. issue.

I took off ALL the progs and only installed what i need. Took all those demos of progs that were cool but never used..!

Works like a charm.

NOW i never had a battery drain issue.. i know lots of people have but i still updated with the new sdio drivers. All well.. BUT the otehr day i installed ButtonMax or maxbutton 1.0, and it allows the option of turning the 2210 screen off. Ithink i used that option ,then turned it off manually.

I woke up in the am with a 0% charge unit.. ARRGHHH.. a hard reset soon i thought before i put it inot the cradle... SO WHATS CAUSED THE battery drain..? I know active sync was closed and only manually connects, and sdio latest installed...? I am trying t osee if i can replicate this issue, but i cannot..... it all works fine...

SO the issue is what casued the whole battery drain..?

Any ideas..?

Thanks.

Shah