View Full Version : Converting a whole DVD movie into something small enough to fit in a 128mb SD card

peruytu
09-19-2004, 04:20 AM
Title says it all.. I know i've read somewhere of a guide and a program out there but since the program is $$$ i'd rather get the guide. But if any of you know how to do it, please all suggestions and advice are welcomed. Thanks!

Darius Wey
09-19-2004, 04:25 AM
There's a program I like to use called XMPEG which can extract clips from DVD very efficiently. There's also another program called PocketDivXEncoder which optimises videos for the Pocket PC.

Both are free, and you may have gathered that DivX is the optimal format in this case - and so you might want to check out BetaPlayer (http://betaplayer.corecodec.org) as a good player to handle DivX files.

peruytu
09-19-2004, 04:40 AM
There's a program I like to use called XMPEG which can extract clips from DVD very efficiently. There's also another program called PocketDivXEncoder which optimises videos for the Pocket PC.

Both are free, and you may have gathered that DivX is the optimal format in this case - and so you might want to check out BetaPlayer (http://betaplayer.corecodec.org) as a good player to handle DivX files.

Great info, thanks man! :D
But, is it possible to fit a whole DivX movie on a 128mb SD card or maybe a bigger card, but is it possible?

Darius Wey
09-19-2004, 04:51 AM
That depends on a number of factors:

Length of the movie
Quality of the video
Quality of the audio

You will find that as you get to encode a lot of PPC optimised files, you will find the optimal settings that can keep movies within a certain file size. I've certainly made some that fit on a 128MB card, so it's no problem once you work out the right settings.

peruytu
09-19-2004, 04:58 AM
Great! I guess its just a matter of playing around a bit with it... just one question, i'm trying to install Betaplayer but the zip file gave me 4 CAB files, which one is it to install in my Axim X30? Sorry for the dumb question, i'm a newbie. :roll:

Darius Wey
09-19-2004, 05:01 AM
betaplayer.ARM_CE3.CAB

ARM relates to your processor, while CE3 relates to the newer versions of the PPC OS.

It's worth giving the "unstable" 0.091 version a try if you're daring. It's actually very stable. 8)

peruytu
09-19-2004, 05:04 AM
Great man, thanks very much for everything!

sracer
09-20-2004, 07:15 PM
If you prefer wmv format, check out my DVD-to-wmv encoding guide:
http://percontifamily.com/speedzone/vid.html

The videos created with this guide weigh in at 40MB per hour of video. That's with "acceptable" quality, better quality video can be created using the alternate settings in the guide. THAT video weighs in at 68MB per hour.

Johnathan
09-27-2004, 10:28 PM
I should thanks you man too because I learn some info from you:)

xynos
09-29-2004, 03:13 PM

Hi. I'm also a newbie. Does PocketDivXEncoder works for VGA screens? I just bought a 5gb CF card for my Tosh E800 and would like to convert some of my DVDs so I can bring it along with me.

Darius Wey
09-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Hi. I'm also a newbie. Does PocketDivXEncoder works for VGA screens? I just bought a 5gb CF card for my Tosh E800 and would like to convert some of my DVDs so I can bring it along with me.

Yes you can. There is an option there for you to specify what resolution you want to encode at. There are also presets if you have no idea how to handle the advanced settings.

Hope that helps.

xynos
09-29-2004, 03:21 PM

Yes you can. There is an option there for you to specify what resolution you want to encode at. There are also presets if you have no idea how to handle the advanced settings.

Hope that helps.

Thanks dude. Really appreciate your help!

maikii
10-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Why a 128 MB SD card? You can very inexpensively get a 512 MB SD card these days, and I even saw today that buy.com has a 1 GB Lexar SD card for $79 plus a $30 rebate. If you have a CF slot, they come in larger sizes, at lower prices.

It would be possible to put a full-length movie into 128 MB, but that might be quite poor quality. I find more like 200 MB to be a minimum size for a two hour movie. It depends on the film--some compress better than others.

Yes, you do not need any software to do this. Look at programs like

AutoGK www.autogk.net

Fair Use (I forget the URL, perhaps www.fairuse.fr

and Pocket DIVX Encoder: www.divx.ppccool.com (not sure of that URL either. If it doesn't work, do a Google search.

As someone mentioned, a good media player, also free, also good for music, is Betaplayer.