View Full Version : hx4700 Ship Date Slips Again!

jimski
09-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Looks like the 4700 ship date has slipped from 9/21 to 10/3 :( (HP Small Business site) All of the accessories (Bluetooth keyboard, batteries, etc.) still show a ship date of 9/23. Amazing that a company as large as HP can not figure out when they will be able to ship a new device. My guess is they are reopening all the boxes right now and loading a new ROM onto the first batch.

PC Connection, where I have my pre-order placed, changed their forecast from 2-4 weeks on Tuesday to 2+ weeks on Wednesday, to 7-14 days on Thursday, which sort of lines up with the 10/3 date.

Let's just hope HP is not fibbing about "coming this fall" or they may have a bunch of leftover 4700's on their hands.

seaflipper
09-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Looks like the 4700 ship date has slipped from 9/21 to 10/3 :( (HP Small Business site) All of the accessories (Bluetooth keyboard, batteries, etc.) still show a ship date of 9/23. Amazing that a company as large as HP can not figure out when they will be able to ship a new device. My guess is they are reopening all the boxes right now and loading a new ROM onto the first batch.

PC Connection, where I have my pre-order placed, changed their forecast from 2-4 weeks on Tuesday to 2+ weeks on Wednesday, to 7-14 days on Thursday, which sort of lines up with the 10/3 date.

Let's just hope HP is not fibbing about "coming this fall" or they may have a bunch of leftover 4700's on their hands.

The date is NOT slipping, but orders are outpacing supply. If you order one right now, that is when HP SMB estimates they will stock to fill your order. At this point, HP has confirmed stock coming in next week that will fill the early orders. I have called and confirmed this with my hp rep. In addition, people are confusing the hx4700 and the hx4705. The hx4700 is the business channel model and the hx4705 is the retail channel model you will find at Office Depot, CompUSA, Staples etc. The hx4705 according to hpshopping.com (their "home" consumer outlet) is not taking orders for the hx4705 until October 15th. This may change, but that was their date as of yesterday. The hx4700 is the business channel device and in addition to hp Small & Medium Business starting to ship next week, resellers will be getting their hx4700 stock within the next 1-2 weeks, just like HP SMB website.

That being said, I'm not counting my chickens until I have my device in hand either next week or early the week after, no matter what assurances an HP rep gives to me over the phone!

Interestingly, there has been a ton of debate about "why HP delayed this product" "what's wrong with HP" etc. The fact of the matter is however, that HP really never said when these things would be shipping, except on hpshopping.com.

HPshopping.com had a date of 8/27 right after the product was announced in July, and then moved that to 9/9, and then to "coming this fall". HOWEVER, HP Small & Medium Business never ever said a date other than "coming this fall". HPshopping.com may have jumped the gun on giving dates, and confusing the whole situation, thus giving everybody an impression that HP was all messed up, or that the VGA screens were in short supply (which still may be true) but the fact of the matter is that HP Small and Medium Business has been consiestent from day 1, so I highly suspect that they know exactly what they are doing and when stock is coming in.

Nobody is sliding these babies out of boxes to put a new ROM in :D