View Full Version : MPx Rumor Update

Janak Parekh
09-18-2004, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/weblog/read_more/09172004_motorola_mpx_and_mpx220_smartphone_updates/' target='_blank'>http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/w...tphone_updates/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"PhoneMag.com just got an update by the same reliable and trusted Asian carrier source that the first batch of MPx smartphone will only have 32MB of memory releasing in mid December. This is an update to the November 30, 2004 release date in our previous article. Motorola is expected to release a second generation MPx with 64MB of memory in Spring of 2005. The specific release date is still undetermined, but we’ll keep you posted as soon as we know."</i><br /><br />None of this is confirmed, but if this ends up happening, I'd probably wait until the second version of the MPx to be released. :|

hotweiss
09-18-2004, 05:07 AM
You can actually buy it already if you have $2000:)
http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=83bb64ecb92bb84f9aab5097406f9701&threadid=456340

jonathanchoo
09-18-2004, 05:12 AM
Not surprised if it does. Typical Motorola. First designing what could be the ugliest mobile ever (IMO) then this.

outdoor
09-18-2004, 05:28 AM
2000!?? i can buy a nice laptop at that price :cry:

i'll wait for the XDA III instead.

Dolphin
09-18-2004, 05:28 AM
You can actually buy it already if you have $2000:)
http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=83bb64ecb92bb84f9aab5097406f9701&threadid=456340

If you click the link that they provide it shows that it is... "Coming Soon" as opposed to available now.

http://www.easycell.ca/mpx300.html

Jason Dunn
09-18-2004, 05:57 AM
The MPx is NOT yet shipping, no matter what any Web site says.

carphead
09-18-2004, 09:01 AM
I thought that the mpx had a different combination of memory. So the ram was used like a normal pc for running apps and the rom was used as a storage medium like a hard drive. The logic being that if the battery went flat and didn’t get recharged then you’d only loose what was running.

If that’s the case then 32 mb would be fine.

jlp
09-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Wait a minute, that's in Toronto, that's Canadian $ :D

But still, that'd make, what, US$1500?!?

jlp
09-18-2004, 01:49 PM

Well, the guy says "i have them in stock, u can arrange an apointment to see it if u want", wanna try 8)

griph
09-18-2004, 02:26 PM
"PhoneMag.com just got an update by the same reliable and trusted Asian carrier source that the first batch of MPx smartphone will only have 32MB of memory releasing in mid December. This is an update to the November 30, 2004 release date in our previous article. Motorola is expected to release a second generation MPx with 64MB of memory in Spring of 2005. The specific release date is still undetermined, but we’ll keep you posted as soon as we know."

None of this is confirmed, but if this ends up happening, I'd probably wait until the second version of the MPx to be released. :|

:evil: I think I'll wait till Hell freezes over - one ugly (expletive deleted) bit of kit suddenly became absolutely worthless! I thought O2 had learnt that lesson with the XDA. WAKE UP MOTOROLA - just cancel it - by the time it arrives it will be about as 'state of the art' as a Psion 3 Classic. What IS all the fuss about!!! 8O

DaleReeck
09-18-2004, 04:10 PM
32MB basically means that it will be nothing more than a fancy cell phone. Because even with an SD card, with all the DLL's and other junk that apps put into main memory, 32MB won't allow for many app installs. These new PDA phones should be getting 128MB of memory and instead we are dealing with 32MB. Dumb.

gratefuled
09-18-2004, 04:34 PM
I do not think the MPx will be a worthwhile selection for previous PPC users until perhaps it's third generation.
The device will have 2 issues: Processor speed and memory. I breifly owned the iPAQ 6315, and had issue with that devices speed and memory, and it had double the RAM that the first Gen. MPx will have.
If you have been using a reasonably powerfulr PPC, you just won't find these devices acceptable.
For me, right now anyway, the only PPC-PE to consider is the MDA III, i-Mate PDA2K, XDA IIs, etc.
I must admit, that I love the form factor of the MPx, and I hope they get the inside guts of the Unit put together for proper use. If and when they do, I will be all over this device.

Rudolf
09-18-2004, 08:13 PM
I thought that the mpx had a different combination of memory. So the ram was used like a normal pc for running apps and the rom was used as a storage medium like a hard drive. The logic being that if the battery went flat and didn’t get recharged then you’d only loose what was running.

If that’s the case then 32 mb would be fine.
I hope it will work that way (I know it supposed to...). However currently the RAM is mounted on / . So it's memory configuration is exactly like an ordinary pockepc (with flash storage). Ie. the my documents, windows folder and the registry is in RAM. And the slider between the storage and program ram is still there. (And changing it at such a late state in the development is more than risky) Maybe they have cancelled the original idea and rather go along with a more usual memory configuration and fix the problem with an updated model with 64MB ram? (just a guesswork from my side).
As for speed... Yes it's not as fast as a 400MHz unit, and you will definietly see it if you use it for video, but the ordinary apps just run fine on it. Ie. Pocketinformant and other business type applications.

Phoenix
09-18-2004, 09:09 PM
The MPx is a gorgeous device and it's not going to be old technology. Good grief, take a look at the specs again. How many devices do you see that are going to have this much tech stuffed into that kind of a form factor? And how many dual hinged devices do you see?

When they talk about 32 MB, they're talking about the operational memory, not storage, and not memory used for the OS. Everyone has said that the OS will be allocated its own memory, separate from program and file storage (which is 64 MB) and separate from operational memory used to run programs and anything else (apart from the OS).

-32 MB for OS (perhaps this won't be exactly 32 MB, but it will be enough to run the OS)
-64 MB for program and file storage
-32 MB for operational memory

That's 128 MB. That's not bad.

Not many PPC's will have VGA screens - the vast MINority of them will, so this isn't a problem. Will WiFi and BT be old technology? Will 128 MB of total memory be old technology? Will dual hinges along with dual viewing formats be an old design? Will the outer color screen with button controls represent old technology? Will the blue backlit integrated keyboard be considered old technology? Will the SDIO slot be considered old?

Shall I go on?

I, too, want a blazing processor in this thing, great battery life, and sufficient memory along with it. Who wouldn't? So I understand why people can feel frustrated if they think they're not getting those things. But for crying out loud, why people suggest this thing will be "OLD" technology by the time it hits the shelves is beyond me.

The MPx to me, is a gorgeous device, it will be my next device without question. Maybe I won't have the power to reposition satellites up in the sky, but I think I'll be able to do everything else I want to and be entertained by it as well.

With that said, I do have to agree, that it wouldn't make any sense to come out with another version only a few months later with double the operational memory. That would be stupid. They need to go all the way with this thing to start and give it an amazing battery (include a second one in the box as well), all the memory they can, and the fastest processor they can stuff into it without absolutely killing battery life.

But Moto has done an amazing job so far.

I would say to Moto: give it an amazing battery, and for cripes sake, you better include a docking station/desktop charger for this thing in the box as well. Every PPC includes a docking station, and for what this MPx will sell for, it better have one, too.

surur
09-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Phoenix, a more likely scenario is this:

Motorola releases the Mpx. Its lovely, but makes too many compromises to attract power users, and its too expensive for casual users. They sell poorly. Motorola thinks no-one likes pocketpc phones, and changes to Linux, which can easily be partitioned to ram and storage.

The end (for motorola and pocketpcphones in any case)

Mean time HTC starts rivalling SE in number of shipped units, and exceeds them in high-end "smart" devices, because they understand people who are willing to spend the money will not accept an inferior product.

Surur (who was wishing for the mpx, but will now get a XDA IIs)

griph
09-18-2004, 10:03 PM
32MB basically means that it will be nothing more than a fancy cell phone. Because even with an SD card, with all the DLL's and other junk that apps put into main memory, 32MB won't allow for many app installs. These new PDA phones should be getting 128MB of memory and instead we are dealing with 32MB. Dumb.

Agreed - surely the cost of RAM just isnt that much of a problem - why do manufacturers insist on skimping! :roll:

griph
09-18-2004, 10:10 PM
The MPx is a gorgeous device ...
I guess there are some people who think Pamela Anderson is gorgeous - but I'm not one of them! And I would't be seen dead with a flip phone that looks like its been built to the wrong scale - It was hard enough with the XDA - this thing when open will cover half the side of your face. Don't make me laugh! :lol:

Rudolf
09-18-2004, 10:36 PM
-32 MB for OS (perhaps this won't be exactly 32 MB, but it will be enough to run the OS)
-64 MB for program and file storage
-32 MB for operational memory

It could be ok, but to date, no one has seen (to my knowledge) an MPX device which has this type of memory configuration. (the flash memory mounted as the root filesystem). This is such an important factor, that I higly doubt that they will change the memory layout so late in the development process. So maybe they backed away from this idea and will go on with the usual memory configuration. In that case it DOES make sense to come out with a 64MB ram model.

I, too, want a blazing processor in this thing, great battery life, and sufficient memory along with it. Who wouldn't? So I understand why people can feel frustrated if they think they're not getting those things. But for crying out loud, why people suggest this thing will be "OLD" technology by the time it hits the shelves is beyond me.

I do agree here. I run some application on it, and it's speed is completly acceptable for usual tasks. Windows Media player however suffers a little bit. (no tests with betaplayer, as it craches currently :( on it ) But MOTO still has time to do some optimalization. It's processor is running at 195MHz, so it's nearly the same speed as the original iPAQ 3600 which was quite ok IMHO. (it's interesting to note that the OMAP 733 does have hardware JAVA axceleration, however I know JAVA is not really used on PPCs nowadays)

I would say to Moto: give it an amazing battery, and for cripes sake, you better include a docking station/desktop charger for this thing in the box as well. Every PPC includes a docking station, and for what this MPx will sell for, it better have one, too.
I doubt any docking station will be included, however there is no need for it. You can place it on your desktop quite nicely either in landscape or portrait mode and just pulg in the USB cable. It does charge via the USB too.

I did find however a drawback of the automatic landscape/portrait switching. There are several games that run in landscape mode (on non SE machines). It would be natural, to play these in opening the MPX 'landscape' mode, however MPX automatically switches the screen orientation (and the framebuffer orientation too) what totally confuses the programs... I wish at least I could manually switch back the orientation (in control panel) so the old games would remain playable... but unfortunately it is missing from the control panel :( I hope they will find a solution for this problem.

surur
09-18-2004, 10:40 PM
I guess there are some people who think Pamela Anderson is gorgeous - but I'm not one of them! And I would't be seen dead with a flip phone that looks like its been built to the wrong scale - It was hard enough with the XDA - this thing when open will cover half the side of your face. Don't make me laugh! :lol:

Thats why God invented bluetooth headsets :)

Surur

Phoenix
09-18-2004, 10:56 PM
Phoenix, a more likely scenario is this:

Motorola releases the Mpx. Its lovely, but makes too many compromises to attract power users, and its too expensive for casual users. They sell poorly. Motorola thinks no-one likes pocketpc phones, and changes to Linux, which can easily be partitioned to ram and storage.

The end (for motorola and pocketpcphones in any case)

Mean time HTC starts rivalling SE in number of shipped units, and exceeds them in high-end "smart" devices, because they understand people who are willing to spend the money will not accept an inferior product.

Surur (who was wishing for the mpx, but will now get a XDA IIs)

More likely? That's a hard sell.

Every device involves some compromise in regard to screen size and portability, power and battery life, features and price. That's just the way it is. But from all that I've read and seen about the MPx (especially on Howard Forums from people who actually own it (and keeping in mind that they had unfinished engineering samples), it hardly compromises on anything.

There are only two main things people have questioned out of concern because no one had the exact answers: processor, and memory. And from what I've seen, any compromises here aren't substantial.

Now granted, I am a power user myself, and I want a powerful processor and sufficient memory to do everything I do. 64MB for storage is plenty, especially considering that 99% of what I load and store is going to be residing on an SD card. I said from the beginning that 64MB for operational memory would be better than 32MB, so maybe they'll do that. But 32MB should be sufficient, providing that the OS has its own suffucient memory allocation. The processor, to my understanding, will be as powerful as a 400 MHz XScale, which certainly isn't bad, although not the fastest. Time will tell for sure. I certainly hope, as do others, that the processor won't be a yawn-fest, but we'll see. Maybe Moto will be smart and surprise us.

Phoenix
09-18-2004, 11:06 PM
The MPx is a gorgeous device ...

Yeah, baby, yeah!!! The MPx shouldn't be any smaller - it couldn't be. And I LOVE the flip format with the outer screen.

It's not gonna cover half your face! You want half your face covered, use an XDA/MDA - use two for a high tech face mask! :lol:

Chucky
09-18-2004, 11:18 PM
I want a phone/pda/mp3 player. MPx should suit me fine. The only issue for me would be battery life. Has anyone seen any approximate times for battery life?

Also, I think the keyboard is awesome. I can't wait for a few multiplayer games to come out, hell even if someone implements multiplayer in Duke3D that would be cool. Really I can't see any other PPC being as gamer friendly as the MPx with the full keyboard.

Although processor and/or RAM could limit its potential for games.

Johan
09-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Benq P50 is looking better day by day!

griph
09-18-2004, 11:41 PM
It's not gonna cover half your face! You want half your face covered, use an XDA/MDA - use two for a high tech face mask! :lol:
http://phone.mobile9.com/img/motorola-mpx-6.jpg
Sorry chum - but the MPx will cover half your face - unless that guy has a really small hand! That is bigger than the XDA I used to use (and thicker, and uglier). :lol:

surur
09-19-2004, 12:08 AM
From Howard forum, apparently the battery life is particularly poor, not even lasting a normal business day with minimal use.

Of course these are engineering samples, but still quite worrying.

Phoenix, you seem to be convinced they will still deliver on their promise of a physically partitioned memory and storage, which would be really revolutionary. Unfortunately I dont believe anymore that they will do this, and Im not going to buy a device with only 11 Mb free for memory AND storage, to keep my My Documents Synchronised folder AND running programs.

Some compromises are a compromise too many.

Surur

Janak Parekh
09-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Phoenix, you seem to be convinced they will still deliver on their promise of a physically partitioned memory and storage, which would be really revolutionary. Unfortunately I dont believe anymore that they will do this, and Im not going to buy a device with only 11 Mb free for memory AND storage, to keep my My Documents Synchronised folder AND running programs.
Before we draw final conclusions, why not wait for the final release? ;)

--janak

Phoenix
09-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Sorry chum - but the MPx will cover half your face - unless that guy has a really small hand! That is bigger than the XDA I used to use (and thicker, and uglier). :lol:

Perhaps that's a photo of a "small person" and you just don't know it! It's longer when opened (but what else can one expect from a clamshell), but not nearly as wide as the XDA and no thicker when it's opened.

Maybe for some people, covering half their face isn't such a bad idea. :lol: :lol:

Ugly? My, my! Such hostiliteee! But of course it's ugly!!! Look at it! Looks just like a lump of snot! :lol: It's a gem, man!!! A gem I tell you!

griph
09-19-2004, 01:21 AM
Perhaps that's a photo of a "small person" and you just don't know it! It's longer when opened (but what else can one expect from a clamshell), but not nearly as wide as the XDA and no thicker when it's opened.
Its not much good being thinner when open - unless you are going to stick it in your pocket that way. &lt;Fx Mae West> "Is that an MPx in your pocket - or are you just pleased to see me!" :rotfl:

Phoenix
09-19-2004, 01:22 AM
From Howard forum, apparently the battery life is particularly poor, not even lasting a normal business day with minimal use.

Of course these are engineering samples, but still quite worrying.

Some compromises are a compromise too many.

Surur

I would agree that only having 11MB to share between storage and operational memory would be nothing short of retarded. But I have a hard time believing that Moto will do this when it's released. Do you honestly think that they're going to put in all the time, effort, and money into developing a device like this, only to have it offer 11MB of shared memory?

Any company has made mistakes, but I don't think Moto hired a team of dolts.

Everyone who offers up criticism of this device is doing so based on engineering samples. Every device made is an engineering sample at some point in the process, but there are so many things that can be tweaked or changed to make it perform like it's meant to, or to increase battery life, by the time it reaches the shelves.

We'll just have to wait and see what it can do when it arrives. Until then, we just can't know.

Jason Dunn
09-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Everyone who offers up criticism of this device is doing so based on engineering samples. Every device made is an engineering sample at some point in the process, but there are so many things that can be tweaked or changed to make it perform like it's meant to, or to increase battery life, by the time it reaches the shelves. We'll just have to wait and see what it can do when it arrives. Until then, we just can't know.

That's the first bit of wisdom I've seen in this thread so far. ;-)

galt
09-19-2004, 05:42 AM
Regarding the battery life, according to Mark Morrow (Ho-Fo's "Bengalboy") the MPx is being redesigned to add more battery:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=3745695#post3745695
Just a tidbit...on the MpX....battery size has been increased tremendously...with a new thicker battery and redesigned back cover....For serious power users it should be equivalent to the HP in battery life. Thicker yes,,,,but still very pocketable and smaller than any other currently available Pocket PC.
Still a rumor, but what else do we have? I can't wait for Moto to say something official about the final hardware configuration and release details.

hotweiss
09-19-2004, 07:09 AM

Well, the guy says "i have them in stock, u can arrange an apointment to see it if u want", wanna try 8)

I just bought a Sony Ericsson K700 from him, he seemed very reputable.

rzanology
09-19-2004, 10:29 AM
listen....we're all grown ass men here. Tech savy grown ass men at that, we should be able to love this thing for its features....not cry and carry on about its size. its not the biggest thing out there neither is it the smallest. But for what it offers i really couldn't care less about its size. When this thing drops....even the nah sayers is gonna have a hard time holding back! i advise youz all start saving right now!!!! $100 per check will make your christmas one to remember!!!

DaleReeck
09-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Everyone who offers up criticism of this device is doing so based on engineering samples. Every device made is an engineering sample at some point in the process, but there are so many things that can be tweaked or changed to make it perform like it's meant to, or to increase battery life, by the time it reaches the shelves. We'll just have to wait and see what it can do when it arrives. Until then, we just can't know.

That's the first bit of wisdom I've seen in this thread so far. ;-)

Yes, but don't forget. Even if delivery is in 1Q 2005, they have to fnish designing the new memory config, make engineering samples, get it beta tested, fix firmware issues, then get the device to cell providers for certification. Unless all the engineering samples we've seen are really old and Motorola has been keeping the "real" MPX tightly controlled, they don't have a lot of time to make drastic changes, which is what a new memory scheme is, a very drastic change. This is the first PPC that has this memory config and they can't take that sort of change lightly.

Peronally, a 64MB device would be adequate. I find the 6315 64MB adequate (barely, but still OK). Personally, my only complaint is Motorola releasing a 32MB device. This device will not be bought in great numbers by the casual user due to its expected unlocked price ($800-ish). And if they chimp on the features, high end users may be turned off. I can't believe that adding 64MB or even 128MB is strictly an economic issue only since adding $50 or $75 in memory to an $800 price would not make that much difference to the power user who would already be willing to spend $800 to begin with. I mean, what's another $75? Now, if its a space or power issue when ading memory, that's another matter.

At least HP had the good sense to keep and unlocked 6315 at $600, a more reasonable price for a casual user who might want to try something different. Priced decently enough for casual users, but with adequate features for power users.

galt
09-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Regarding the battery life, according to Mark Morrow (Ho-Fo's "Bengalboy") the MPx is being redesigned to add more battery:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=3745695#post3745695
Just a tidbit...on the MpX....battery size has been increased tremendously...with a new thicker battery and redesigned back cover....For serious power users it should be equivalent to the HP in battery life. Thicker yes,,,,but still very pocketable and smaller than any other currently available Pocket PC.
Still a rumor, but what else do we have? I can't wait for Moto to say something official about the final hardware configuration and release details.

Larger (1960mAh) MPx battery pics: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=460757

possmann
09-20-2004, 04:03 PM
It's interesting and very frustrating - looks like Moto is doing a great job and innovating lately - but the follow-through (bringing the innovation to market) seems to suck.

Either wait longer to unviel the new innovations or execute! Especially when there is competition out there in price-point.

Frankly I don't believe any of the rumors about the price of this device. It will have to be under $1,000 and much less with a contract in order to get any penitration into the market place - I don't care how the phone flips and contorts - no one is going to pay that much for a phone...

Phoenix
09-20-2004, 10:23 PM
I guess we'll just have to see what the price will be. It'll be interesting to see what happens with that.

The bigger battery is GREAT. I know some people don't like the added size, but man, I don't have a problem with it, myself. It should make the device truly usable now.