View Full Version : What PPC's work with a blutooth headset?

Dolphin
09-17-2004, 04:06 AM
What PPC's work with a bluetooth headset? My Jabra 250 doesn't seem to work with my iPaq 4155. Is that going to be the case with the upcoming rx3715. I just tried out the new rx3115 and it doesn't appear to be set up to utilize a bluetooth headset either... WHY?

Sven Johannsen
09-17-2004, 04:29 PM
The 4155/4355 do not and the hack doesn't work.
The 2215 will take the hack and present the headset profile, but success has been spotty making it work.
The rx3115 does not have a headset profile, don't know if it is hackable.

The X30 has the headset profile, out of the box, and it works.

Others can post their experience.

As to why they don't, it's a PDA, not a phone. Yes there are uses for the headsets, but they are fairly recent, so you have the chicken and egg problem. I think you'll see more now that VoIP is taking off and there actually is a BT stereo headset (though that is not what the headset profile supports)

Dolphin
09-18-2004, 02:46 AM
I wonder why HP can't include a headset profile?

Sven Johannsen
09-18-2004, 04:27 AM

They do, on the 6315, AFAIK. It's a phone. I suppose they expect folks to use a headset, on it. Have you ever listened to MP3s on a mono BT phone headset. It's not an experience I'd adverstise as a selling point.

Dolphin
09-18-2004, 04:42 AM

They do, on the 6315, AFAIK. It's a phone. I suppose they expect folks to use a headset, on it. Have you ever listened to MP3s on a mono BT phone headset. It's not an experience I'd advertise as a selling point.

That is true... I tried a 6315 when they first came out and it does support a bluetooth headset. The 6315 just seemed a little bigger than what I was used to. When I held my 1945 again in my hand one night, I realized how much I missed its form factor and decided to pursue the two device option. That's where I'm at now... trying to figure out the best combo.

I want to use the headset for listening to my voice memos when driving down the road. I know I can just hold the PPC up to my ear... I guess I'm just lazy!

BTW.. I saw a stereo bluetooth headset some where on the web. It had a bluetooth base unit that plugs in a standard stereo mini jack that transmitted to the headset. It seems like there would be a good market for them!

Sven Johannsen
09-18-2004, 05:45 PM
That's from BlueTake ( http://www.bluetake.com/products/BT420EX.htm) Cheapest I've seen at this point is around $230. Little steep for me for a first of breed model. I also think you'll not get super results from the headset profile built in to PPCs currently. I believe there is a BT spec for a stereo audio device. The BlueTake would likely work best if using their TX plugged into the headset jack.

For your application "I want to use the headset for listening to my voice memos when driving down the road. ", why don't you consider one of the FM TXs and play it through your radio.

Dolphin
09-18-2004, 06:33 PM
For your application "I want to use the headset for listening to my voice memos when driving down the road. ", why don't you consider one of the FM TXs and play it through your radio.

Sven,

Thanks for the idea, How exactly would that work? Would I have top have something plugged into my PPC... I'm trying to avoid that.

Where in Colorado do you live? I live in Sedalia, Co. Do you know of any good computer stores besides CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy and Micro Center? I'm wondering if there is any place to see a Bluespoon headset or other hardware that is not available in these stores.

http://www.blue-spoon.com/index.asp?sideid=112&top=bs

Sven Johannsen
09-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the idea, How exactly would that work? Would I have top have something plugged into my PPC... I'm trying to avoid that.

It's kind of like the BlueTake concept. The FM TX, like a Belkin Tunecast, (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=166903) plugs into the headset socket, and broadcasts to any free frequency on the radio. You're not going to get around that on the 4155 any way I know.

Where in Colorado do you live? I live in Sedalia, Co. Do you know of any good computer stores besides CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy and Micro Center? I'm wondering if there is any place to see a Bluespoon headset or other hardware that is not available in these stores.

Says Colorado Springs over on the left there. ;) We have about the same stuff you list. I don't think I've seen the Bluespoon live here. Not even sure where I'd look in Denver. You thinking of getting a new PPC to get the headset profile? I don't think there is anything coming out as sweet as the 4155 that has it. The X30 works, but I wouldn't give up my 4155 for it. The X50 may have the profile, but it's hard to tell how it sizes up to the 4155 from the pictures.

Dolphin
09-19-2004, 01:59 AM
[quote="Sven
Says Colorado Springs over on the left there. ;) [/quote]

I Guess I should open up my eyes! All I saw before was the Colorado.

I just traded in my less than 2 week old 4155 about an hour ago for a new iPaq rx3715. I really wanted the camera/camcorder and I think I'm really going to miss the 4155's small size and wieght. We'll see... I guess I have 2 weeks to decide. The 4155 is a really nice unit! I'll let everyone know what I think of the rx3715. Although I already know that the 4155 fit in my pocket better!