View Full Version : What's your favorite bluetooth cellphone?

Dolphin
09-17-2004, 04:00 AM
I'm going to buy a bluetooth telephone this weekend to use with my iPaq 4155.

What should I get? So far I'm leaning to a Motorola v600, but am totally open to any suggestions!

TIA

Wiggster
09-17-2004, 04:54 AM
I'm quite happy with my Ericsson T610/T616 series phone. The joystick thingy is quirky at first, but it's quite easy to use after a few minutes of nonstop playing and learning. But this is only my third cell phone, and the first with a color screen, so I'm not too well-versed in the subject.

Dolphin
09-17-2004, 04:59 AM
I'm quite happy with my Ericsson T610/T616 series phone. The joystick thingy is quirky at first, but it's quite easy to use after a few minutes of nonstop playing and learning. But this is only my third cell phone, and the first with a color screen, so I'm not too well-versed in the subject.

Wiggy,

Do you dail from your PPC?

I take it from your avatar that youare planing on getting a iPaq 47xx?

Wiggster
09-17-2004, 05:01 AM

Yep. I just chcange my Network settings to my Bluetooth profile and it connects automatically. I get a pretty consistent 3.7 kilobytes/second when loading pages, although it drops every now and then. But I think that's due to spotty Cingular coverage and not the phone itself. Not fast enough for normal browsing, but great for signing on to check email or updating RSS feeds.

Dolphin
09-17-2004, 05:06 AM

Yep. I just chcange my Network settings to my Bluetooth profile and it connects automatically. I get a pretty consistent 3.7 kilobytes/second when loading pages, although it drops every now and then. But I think that's due to spotty Cingular coverage and not the phone itself. Not fast enough for normal browsing, but great for signing on to check email or updating RSS feeds.

What I meant was do you dial phone numbers from the address book on your PPC?

Wiggster
09-17-2004, 05:12 AM

Ah, nope, never tried. I'm old fashioned and like to dial my numbers by hand still.

jimski
09-17-2004, 05:46 AM

I use a T610 and have dialed numbers from my PPC (5450) using Agenda Fusion. Works quite nicely and when connected (the T610 that is) to a Bluetooth headset or handsfree unit, the call passes right through. Only problem is I don't always have Bluetooth turned on in the PPC (it is always on in the T610-In fact I have not turned it off in over a year) so sometimes it's easier to just dial the number after looking up.

Hopefully the Bluetooth implementation on the 4700 (still running PPC2002 on the 5450) is a bit better and won't cause the device to occasionally hang.

But the short answer is, yes it works.

maximus
09-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Motorola V600

Good choice :mrgreen:

mrkablooey
09-17-2004, 10:52 AM
I have a v600 and like it a lot. Buddy of mine has a T637 which he's quite happy with. T637 is an "updated" version of the 610/616 mentioned earlier. It's easily recognizable by the black shell vs white... and actually is smaller.

OSUKid7
09-17-2004, 03:21 PM
What I meant was do you dial phone numbers from the address book on your PPC?I have a T610 also, and have dialed from Contacts before. It's a nice feature, but I'm usually calling the same 2-3 people who are already programmed to a mem number on my phone.

OSUKid7
09-17-2004, 03:23 PM
I just chcange my Network settings to my Bluetooth profile and it connects automatically.How exactly did you set that up? I hate having to open the BT manager to connect every time. Also, have you found an easy (free) way to keep the connection alive?

yankeejeep
09-17-2004, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure you are going to find a way that does not involve using a BT manager on your PPC to create a connection. Of course, once you have created the connection, it can remain live for as long as your device and phone both have BT active. On your device, at least, this is going to shorten your battery runtime as it is one more power draw. Ending a call does not require you to terminate the BT connection.

What BT management software/stack are you using on your PPC?

rzanology
09-17-2004, 06:23 PM
cop that SE z600. Solid phone.

Don Tolson
09-17-2004, 06:52 PM
I'm quite enjoying my Nokia 3650. The keyboard is a bit non-standard, so you have to 'search' a bit for the letters when spelling something out, but other than that, it's been a very solid performer.

Kowalski
09-17-2004, 08:08 PM
i wouldnt buy a motorola, because the menu system and especialy texting is slower compared to SE models. i have a z600 which is 95% identical to t630 in usage, and very happy with my 2215+z600 combo.
i use gprs heavly, almost everyday for rss feeds, a little msn and mail, and i never have any problems.
if you choose SE you have both clamshell and candybar options. but there is no candybar version of motorola.

I'm quite enjoying my Nokia 3650
maybe 3650 can be a good phone, but isnt it soo big to carry in your pants pocket?!

aliensub
09-17-2004, 10:42 PM
I´m having a Nokia 6230 and it´s propably my best phone ever. I had a Motorola V500 before and it was driving me crazy. Slow menu´s buggy software, and several issues with the sms part of it. And the Desktop software (phonetools) was a joke. I have never seen a so poor written piece of software..
No way i´m going the Motorola way again.

Don Tolson
09-17-2004, 11:34 PM
maybe 3650 can be a good phone, but isnt it soo big to carry in your pants pocket?!

Not really, it depends, I guess on the type of pants you're wearing and which pocket you put it in. For me, I wear mine on a belt hanger, but the phone would easily fit into a front pants or coat pocket.

ctmagnus
09-20-2004, 06:08 AM
I just chcange my Network settings to my Bluetooth profile and it connects automatically.How exactly did you set that up? I hate having to open the BT manager to connect every time.

Spb GPRS Monitor adds an icon to the Start bar that lets you connect to your phone with three taps.

Sven Johannsen
09-20-2004, 07:03 PM
I just chcange my Network settings to my Bluetooth profile and it connects automatically.How exactly did you set that up? I hate having to open the BT manager to connect every time.

Spb GPRS Monitor adds an icon to the Start bar that lets you connect to your phone with three taps.

Normally on my 4155 it's just four, the BT icon, BT manager, the internet via phone icon, and the stupid username password screen (OK).

ctmagnus
09-20-2004, 10:18 PM
My three taps included Xing out GPRS monitor but it actually closes on it's own, so that's half as many taps as you use. :p And my 5550, when properly configured, has a GPRS *99***3# link in the bubble from the Start bar Connect icon, so that's only two taps to connect with no third-party software needed. The main reason I use GPRS monitor is I have a 2MB/month data plan and I blew threw that in two days when I first had it.

zilla31
09-21-2004, 12:33 AM
i also have a t610 and i dial from agenda fusion constantly - love it!!

ps since i lost everything in a PA flood (see my other thread) i actually need a NEW t610 so if you find a cheap place to get one - even refurbished - let a brother know :)