View Full Version : Ipaq 6315 - Email Triggers

juan_chiriboga
09-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Has anyone gotten this to work.
I spent about an hour on the phone "trying" to explain to the tech support people what email triggers were. Of course they thought it was simply setting up your account to "connect to the internet every few minutes and do it"

after long discussions, they told me that the only way to do it was after getting the GPRS option. Fair Enough.
Once GPRS was enabled, I "Still" couldn't get the triggers to work as described on the website.

Tech Support told the functionality is being advertised (so well advertised that i had to add the 19.99 GPRS service to my account to use it) however, it is not functional yet.

Any similar experiences?

wallynyc
09-17-2004, 12:10 AM
I have it working. However, it is not as initially easy as it should be.

Simply put, there are a few steps. One section with the t-mobile web-site and one section with the 6315;

T-Mobile web-site;

1. You MUST register with T-Mobile for a 'MYEMAIL' account. Then create a mailbox with T-Mobile. Then set-up the mailbox to go and grab all your mail from one (or More) POP mailbox(es).
2. Set-up an ALERT in this mailbox which send an alert for every e-mail received. You can set-up alerts to send for every e-mail, or select e-mails. Your choice.
3. Check the POP settings of your MYEMAIL account and note down the USER name EXACTLY AS DISPLAYED - for example, '123-456-7890:1'
Once this is done, the t-mobile web-site will check the listed POP mailboxes contained in your account and send a message to your handheld.

But, you do have to have the 6315 set-up properly too;

6315 settings;

1. Set up a new mail account on your 6315 which has a USER NAME that matches EXACTLY what is displayed in the POP settings of your MYEMAIL mailbox (in my example, I used '123-456-7890:1'). You also have to use the PASSWORD that access your POP mailbox (note: this tripped me up for a while) and ensure the 'Outgoing e-mail server requires authentication' option is ticked.

2. Go to the InBox on your 6315 and select 'Tools/My Email Triggers', wait for a second and your newly created 6315 mai account will be displayed in the drop-down box. When it does, tick the 'Enable automatic email updates' box, then tap 'Save'.

You should be all set.

It worked for me, but it is not ideal. For instance, it is not a notification feature - it is a feature which simply tells the 6315 to connect (via ACTIVESYNC, Wi-Fi, Bluettoth or GPRS - in that order) to connect to your T-Mobile Account and download the e-mails that have just been 'grabbed' by the t-mobile web mailbox. So you get the whole e-mail, depending on the settings you selected for message&header downloads. But it does work, albeit expensive if GPRS is the only option you have to connect to the internet from the 6315!

Good luck - any questions, let me know!
Wally.

wallynyc
09-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention. The T-Mobile web-site also informs that you can send the correct POP settings from the mailbox in your web-based MYEMAIL account. There is a button to SEND the settings and also a button to DELETE any settings from your 6315.

Ignore this section. It does not work. When I asked the T-Mobile reps, they did not know why it was there but confirmed that this section of the displayed web-page (in 'POP SETTINGS') does NOT work.

It could be a very nice feature though - if it worked, less people would have trouble configuring their 6315's to get e-mail triggers..........

bucho
09-17-2004, 05:29 AM
The configuration SMS worked ok for me, but this trigger is so unreliable that it's not even worth setting it up. I still have it on for one of the accounts I setup, but I also enabled a scheduled poll every 30 min... just in case.

Anyway, this "EMail Trigger" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Can somebody explain to me how can a POP proxy (which is what the T-Mobile email essentially is) be setup as a push... It's not as if T-Mobile is getting notification from the origin POP server that there is a new message. They have to poll that site on regular intervals somehow to check for new mail and considering the number of customers they have, how frequently can they really do that.... So, what's the point really - I can get more "real-time" notifications by setting up a 15 min scheduled download... or am I missing something here?

juan_chiriboga
09-17-2004, 01:45 PM
I had already set up the email triggers and email accounts as you have explained. However, the email triggers will just not work.
Can't quite understand it. Very interesting behavior last night though, as soon as I switched my SIM card to my older T68i, I started receiving SMS Notifications for my email. However NO SMS notifications, or email being downloaded to the Ipaq.

thanks for the valuable help

mesposito2
09-17-2004, 02:03 PM
... They have to poll that site on regular intervals somehow to check for new mail and considering the number of customers they have, how frequently can they really do that.... So, what's the point really - I can get more "real-time" notifications by setting up a 15 min scheduled download... or am I missing something here?

I don't know why you think this is tough for them to do. Most of their customers don't currently have a device that is getting their emails, and as it grows they just add more hardware. How do Microsoft or Google handle all of the hits they get?

I don't currently use triggers, although I tried them. I guess the point really is that with triggers you don't have to poll the server yourself, because they are doing it for you, and using SMS messages to trigger the 6315 to wake up and tell you. It's a nice feature. It reminds me of stock alerts. Sometimes you don't want the hassle of watching a ticker or streaming quotes. You just want to setup alerts at price movements or some other trigger like a news event. If you own a stock at $25/share, and you want to know when it hits $24 or $26, the triggered alert will tell you, and then you don't sit at the computer wasting your day watching the stupid thing. <g>

You can check your mail every 15 minutes, using your batteries, or you can let Tmobile tell you when you have email. If I checked my mail that often I would use the triggers.

mdl1970
09-18-2004, 10:36 PM
I've set up my e-mail accounts exactly as described above. However, I'm still unable to "send" email created from my 6315.

There is something very strange happening in the "connections" area of my 6315. I enter my password for my POP account, but it resets to another password of many more characters.

For instance, my password for my POP account is PASSWORD (which is shown ********).

However, after I set this up... I return and the password now says ************.

I have no idea why it keeps re-setting to this.

Very frustrating as I then have to hit a T-Mobile hotspot to compose my emails and send.

I love the convergence of this device, but getting it to work consistently (bluetooth headset, email) has been extremely frustrating.

mesposito2
09-20-2004, 05:56 PM
I've set up my e-mail accounts exactly as described above. However, I'm still unable to "send" email created from my 6315.

There is something very strange happening in the "connections" area of my 6315. I enter my password for my POP account, but it resets to another password of many more characters.

For instance, my password for my POP account is PASSWORD (which is shown ********).

However, after I set this up... I return and the password now says ************.

I have no idea why it keeps re-setting to this.

Very frustrating as I then have to hit a T-Mobile hotspot to compose my emails and send.

I love the convergence of this device, but getting it to work consistently (bluetooth headset, email) has been extremely frustrating.

I don't believe the number of "***" is supposed to show the number of char's in your password. This is done for security reasons.

I ran into this problem with mail, and some reported problems with attachments going through Tmomail. As a test, try composing an email on the 6315 with just the word test in the subject and email body. If that works, it may be attachments, or something else.

Mark

wallynyc
09-25-2004, 01:44 PM
As in the author of 'Notepad' for the Psion Series3/5 :?:

That takes me back........