View Full Version : Brighthand: "Which VGA Pocket PC is Right for You?"

Jason Dunn
09-16-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://brighthand.com/article/Which_VGA_Pocket_PC_is_Right' target='_blank'>http://brighthand.com/article/Which...ket_PC_is_Right</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Soon there will be six Pocket PCs with VGA displays and dual slots: the ASUS MyPal A730w, the Dell Axim X50v, the HP iPAQ hx4705, the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720, and the Toshiba e800 and e830. Those considering buying one of these models should know how they stack up against each other. Most of these handhelds have been officially announced, but the Axim X50v has not. While documents filed with the FCC revealed much information about this model, some details remain unknown."</i><br /><br />Brighthand has a nice overview of the current and soon-to-be-released VGA Pocket PCs. If you have your heart set on one of these, stop by and check out the article. For those of you that are waiting for a VGA Pocket PC, which one are you waiting for, and why? What features make it the best Pocket PC for your needs?

sundown
09-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Interesting article. I'm looking for VGA, 2003 SE and wifi built in. I will probably pick the X50v because it seems like that will have the lowest price for the options I'm looking for. I don't use my PPC all day every day so I can take a little lower quality to save a few hundred bucks.

MikeUnwired
09-16-2004, 08:27 PM
In anticipation of what will assuredly be a new PPC for Mike this fall, I have posted all my "old" gear on eBay for liquidation -- except my HP iPAQ h2215, which I'm still using. That's a Hitachi G1000, palmOne Treo 600, Samsung SCH-i600 and a Motorola MPx200. I figure with the sale, I should take down enough coin to pay for the new Sony-Ericsson T637 Bluetooth phone I just bought, buy a new VGA PPC and have a little left for an adult beverage or two.

A VGA PPC 2003SE will be my next handheld. It will have to have Bluetooth and WiFi. Also, dual CF/SD slots are a must. I also want to be able to hotswap spare batteries -- so battery life won't be a factor.

I'll probably wait until Dell formally announces their "outted" X50v so I can see the price point. If it's lower than the HP iPAQ hx4705 by more than $35, I'll more than likely go that way (because I'd have to replace my auto charger cable if I went with Dell.)

I'd like to see something from HP in the 2200 line -- which I hear is coming, but it wasn't in Brighthand's story -- with VGA, but it's not a big deal I guess -- they're really all good.

Ripper014
09-16-2004, 08:42 PM
He seems to have a bias against the Asus... or maybe I am reading too much into it.. since the Asus is the device that is most appealing to my eye. He mentions that the larger devices are required to accommodate the larger screen... well it true... but a 3.7 screen to a 4.6 inches tall... versus 4.0 screen being 5.2 inches tall... doing the math... the screen one is .9 inches different... and screen two.. 1.2 inches... more than a 1/4 of an inch on an already large device. Since the screen size is measured diagonally you would think there would be less of a difference.

Anyway as I said maybe its me... and my bias towards the Asus... he is announcing delivery dates... that say Hp is going to be out in a week... and the Asus in 5 weeks... I would like to see what the actual dates turn out to be... But what I really want to see are the final test numbers on how each device runs...

I know that PocketMatrix is supposed to have received a final production model for the A730 last Friday... and I would like to see his results.

shawnc
09-16-2004, 08:42 PM
As soon as a VGA replacement is available for the 4150 (i.e. SD only, wifi, SMALLEST FORM FACTOR POSSIBLE), then I'm all over it.

disconnected
09-16-2004, 08:49 PM
I want the biggest, clearest screen I can get (overall size, within reason, isn't an issue for me). I also require built-in bluetooth and wifi, and would like a second card slot.

I'd hoped to be able to choose between the Toshiba 830 and the iPAQ 4700, but it seems I won't be able to get the Toshiba in the US, so I guess it's going to be the iPAQ.

I have a CompUSA TAP, and I think/hope my iPAQ 5500 has enough issues to allow for a free trade-up.

nz0eBoy
09-16-2004, 09:24 PM
I'm waiting for some reviews, but at this stage it is between the Toshiba e830 and the Dell. I am happy with my 22xx so can wait and see which has the better build quality.

I'd love to stick with HP but the 47xx just doesn't spin my wheels aesthetically speaking - i'm superficial :wink:. I don't want to start a 'which looks best debate' just my personal opinion.

Underwater Mike
09-16-2004, 09:35 PM
As said already, SD and CF slots, largest VGA screen possible, at least 128 main memory, 600MHz or faster, BT and WiFi. Anything less and I'll just stay with my X5.

I'm considering the Dell and Asus devices. After mutiple encounters with the Compaq/HR support organization, I don't think I ever want to go that route again.

ctitanic
09-16-2004, 10:14 PM
&lt;-- I made my decision a long time ago. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Kati Compton
09-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Hmm. I thought the Asus had a larger battery for the wifi version... At least, that's what I remember from Duncan's handy chart.

Jereboam
09-16-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm thinking I'm warming to the whole touchpad idea and I'm going to go for a 4700. I actually don't mind the looks either, nice and functional.

Just need to wait and see how the whole RAM/ROM thing works out. I've never had a problem installing many different apps to the File Store, so I'm hopeful this will prove to be an excellent solution.

J'bm

Cortex
09-16-2004, 11:53 PM
i've become too wed to my pocket pc phone to give it up... i'll have to wait for a VGA PPCPE :cry:

Jonathan1
09-17-2004, 12:02 AM
"Which VGA Pocket PC is Right for You?"

Good question. Right now the top 3 in the running:

Axim X50
HP iPaq 4705
Asus 730

The Axim is in the lead by far. :)

ctmagnus
09-17-2004, 12:08 AM
I'm thinking XDAIII.

ctitanic
09-17-2004, 12:25 AM
"Which VGA Pocket PC is Right for You?"

Good question. Right now the top 3 in the running:

Axim X50
HP iPaq 4705
Asus 730

The Axim is in the lead by far. :)

I think that it´s a matter of preferences, I wont buy the Axim because of it´s small battery. I´m a wifi heavy user so for me the hx4700 battery is a major + ;) , after that, the 4" display is another +, the magnasium case another + and the screen flip over another +, and do not tell me anything about size, the hx4700 has the same size than my h2215 counting the wifi antenna of the wifi CF Card that I have all the time on it, so... for me the hx4700 is the ideal machine :D :D :D

Jereboam
09-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Yeah, big battery for heavy wifi use is a thing for me too.

Plus - a metal casing beats plastic every time for durability.

J'bm

Deslock
09-17-2004, 12:33 AM
I couldn't resist and ordered the HP ($579 educational price and it ships next week). The smaller size of the Dell and ASUS units appeals to me, but I don't want to wait until November. And the HP's thinness, 4" screen, included cover, and 1800 mAh battery offset the larger footprint to a certain extent.

Shudder... flakey syncing and unreliable alarms makes Homer something something. But rumor has is that the upcoming Palm T5 won't have wifi, so back to PPC I come.

Duncan
09-17-2004, 01:56 AM
Hmm. I thought the Asus had a larger battery for the wifi version... At least, that's what I remember from Duncan's handy chart.

That's what they said way back when they announced/first showed off the Asus a730. Since they seem reluctant to say anything about the dual wirless version currently (fearful of not selling the BT only one?) I'm assuming nothing has changed - bigger battery and greater weight. Oddly Brighthand have gone from saying that the BT only version of the a730 will be 190g (the weight of the dual wireless version) to saying that the dual wireless version will be 170g (the weight of the BT only version)...

Annoyingly the updated Brighthand article, while corrected, still has some errors in it (quite a few were pointed out - by me actually - back when the original article was published):

For example - the Asus a730 does indeed have built-in ROM storage - 19.22 MB worth. That one version of the e800 does have only WiFi - but another version has Bluetooth only. The e830 is approx. 200g - not the same weight as the e800. The Asus a730 (BT version at least) is 1100 mAh not 1150 mAh. All a matter of record.

I don't know - perhaps I'm just being fussy, but a guide of this nature needs to be more thoroughly fact checked - and there is no excuse not to know about these errors... :roll:

Jonathan1
09-17-2004, 02:22 AM
I think that it´s a matter of preferences, I wont buy the Axim because of it´s small battery. I´m a wifi heavy user so for me the hx4700 battery is a major + ;) , after that, the 4" display is another +, the magnasium case another + and the screen flip over another +, and do not tell me anything about size, the hx4700 has the same size than my h2215 counting the wifi antenna of the wifi CF Card that I have all the time on it, so... for me the hx4700 is the ideal machine :D :D :D

That's why they have an extended 2200mAh battery for the device as well. :)

ctitanic
09-17-2004, 02:28 AM

That's why they have an extended 2200mAh battery for the device as well. :)

are you talking about those bulky and heave batteries? those that change the original pocket pc shape and sometime you end losing the possibility to use your lovely case that you just bought?

I know that, I´m currently using one in my 2215 and I have used those in my previous PPCs as well. No thanks, I still prefer the original hx4700 1800 mA. :D :D :D

TomB
09-17-2004, 03:51 AM
Deslock, can you name the URL where you found the academic pricing? What proof did they need, school ID?

Wiggster
09-17-2004, 04:07 AM
Deslock, can you name the URL where you found the academic pricing? What proof did they need, school ID?
Ditto.

jimski
09-17-2004, 05:25 AM
Waiting for my 4700. Just read below and see how close HP got. I think I may like the RAM/ROM arrangement. Never had a problem with File Store and loading most programs (except for Today Plug-Ins). Basically, HP can't make the WM2003 software or ActiveSync bug free,(out of their control) so they will give you a way to painlessly restore your device when the inevitable hard reset occurs.

Jonathan1
09-17-2004, 05:47 AM
are you talking about those bulky and heave batteries? those that change the original pocket pc shape and sometime you end losing the possibility to use your lovely case that you just bought?

I know that, I´m currently using one in my 2215 and I have used those in my previous PPCs as well. No thanks, I still prefer the original hx4700 1800 mA. :D :D :D

I'm using an extended batt on my Jornada 568 and I'm finding the size manageable and as for cases. Hehe. I hate them. If I could do without one I would. I like my Jornada because of the flip cover. That one of the reasons I'm even considering the 4700. 4" screen is nice. I'm just amazed that someone actually put a freaking flip cover on their dang device! :| :?
time will tell which one I go with. For now the Dell is the front runner with: Size, specs, possibly price.
HP: Specs, flip cover.

Wiggster
09-17-2004, 05:48 AM
Ditto.

I think I found it? (http://www.hpshopping.com/education)

schriss
09-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Axim X50 &lt;==== Hardware 3D Acceleration (Intel 2700G) :devilboy:

Deslock
09-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Ditto.

I think I found it? (http://www.hpshopping.com/education)

You got it. The website kept crapping out for me so I ordered over the phone (888-999-4747). I dunno what kind of proof they need, but I used my .edu email address and had it shipped to my university. They didn't ask me for anything else.

Jeff00000168
09-17-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm gonna stick with Dell. Nothing will beat their price! This is Dell's 3rd generation Pocket PC and I'm sure they've done their homework! :way to go:

Wiggster
09-17-2004, 05:37 PM
You got it. The website kept crapping out for me so I ordered over the phone (888-999-4747). I dunno what kind of proof they need, but I used my .edu email address and had it shipped to my university. They didn't ask me for anything else.

I tried that, and after 15 minutes on hold, they said it wasn't available for order. Ah, well. C'est la vie.

CESkins
09-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Dell Axim X50v. Just awaiting final specs but based on the current specs and Dell's h/o lots of features/cost, I think this will be the PDA that sets the standard when it is released. Hopefully, Dell larger size battery will not alter the form factor of the device.

famousdavis
09-17-2004, 07:43 PM
You know, I'm still putt-putting along with my first PDA, an 18-mos-old iPAQ 1910. It's been a terrific device to get acquainted with PPCs. Interestingly, I seem to be in the minority in that I've never had to hard reset my device -- and I've loaded a lot of software onto it, and onto SD card.

Anyway, I've created a PPC database to manage my family's homeschool records -- it's really slick. But after updating it for the upcoming school year, the lack of power in an 1910 iPAQ is painfully apparent.

Moreover, I added WiFi to my home this summer, so whereas before I had no interest in a PDA's WiFi capability, now I'm intrigued.

Having a VGA screen is certainly a big plus, but I'm driven mostly by finding the fastest processor I can to get improved database performance. I think only a few of those new VGA devices have that new Intel processor running at something like 600Mhz.

But here's my sticking point: I really would like to await Microsoft's next-generation version of Windows Mobile (2005?). Why?

Well, I'm hoping for a better Pocket Internet Explorer, for one, especially if it's running on a VGA screen. Too, I use the Pocket Office products frequently, bad as they are, and I'd rather not have to spend more money on third-party products to get the features I want in Office programs.

Why is it that everyone knows about Microsoft's next-generation version of Windows (code-named Longhorn), when it's targeted to go to beta testing, when it's targeted for production release, and even what kinds of features are -- and are not -- going to be in Longhorn...yet nobody seems to know anything about any forthcoming version of Windows Mobile operating system?

In other threads, it's clear that you buy a PDA for what it is, not for what it can become. OS upgrades can't be presumed for older devices -- HP all but said that recently.

So for me, buying a new PDA with VGA capability but a two-year-old operating system (that wasn't much different than PPC2K), is like buying a new desktop computer with Windows XP on it: yeah, it'd be nice, especially if you're running something on Windows 98, but you'll just wish you had waited a little longer when the Longhorn version of Windows comes out. (That's why I buy a new desktop about 6-12mos after a new release of Windows).

Prevost
09-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Since, anyway, most probably NONE of those will EVER be available in Panama retailer stores, I might think I can go for ANY of them...by the Web!

Being so, I would choose among Loox, Dell, and Asus, probably in this order of preference.

But now, I have this thought: If, as Brighthand's article says, OS upgrade to 2003SE is available right away for the Toshiba e800 (what about the e805???), and being this an older model it should retail for less than the e830, which could be the argument to buy the newest one from Toshiba? Perhaps having no need of buying a Bluetooth card (if this thing exist) in the case of the e830 vs e800??? I guess the e805 has Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi, folks...

For in the condition of the upgrade offering, I would go for the e800 or e805 no brainer.

Just a bit confused by this. :?

Marcel_Proust
09-19-2004, 02:28 PM
the e805 and e800 are basically the same. yes you can get the 2003se update for either. you could find an e800/805 on ebay. Mugen batteries are also available for it there, and they are wonderful for heavy wifi use. They come in EITHER bluetooth or wifi models. I have the wifi model, and a Socket Bluetooth SD card. They run at 400 mhz, but can generally be overclocked to 498, usually 528, for some even 598 (not for me).
I may or may not upgrade to one of the new models, or wait for one more generation, maybe a VGA phone.
But if you're trying to save, an e800/805 gives you a model just slightly below these new vga models, without that much compromise.
Since, anyway, most probably NONE of those will EVER be available in Panama retailer stores, I might think I can go for ANY of them...by the Web!

Being so, I would choose among Loox, Dell, and Asus, probably in this order of preference.

But now, I have this thought: If, as Brighthand's article says, OS upgrade to 2003SE is available right away for the Toshiba e800 (what about the e805???), and being this an older model it should retail for less than the e830, which could be the argument to buy the newest one from Toshiba? Perhaps having no need of buying a Bluetooth card (if this thing exist) in the case of the e830 vs e800??? I guess the e805 has Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi, folks...

For in the condition of the upgrade offering, I would go for the e800 or e805 no brainer.

Just a bit confused by this. :?

FortimirCE
09-19-2004, 04:57 PM
So for me, buying a new PDA with VGA capability but a two-year-old operating system (that wasn't much different than PPC2K), is like buying a new desktop computer with Windows XP on it: yeah, it'd be nice, especially if you're running something on Windows 98, but you'll just wish you had waited a little longer when the Longhorn version of Windows comes out. (That's why I buy a new desktop about 6-12mos after a new release of Windows).

That's a great point... and that's why I'm nervous about the order of my hx4700. My current PPC is running on 38 months with me and I really need a new PPC. The way HP designed the hx4700... it looks more than likely that it can take a WM2005 update. They shoved a HUGE ROM on it, it's got a large screen with VGA, it's got a 624MHz processor... they made it ready for at least a little future...

...and if you read the description at HP, they say the hx4700 series will have "an extended time of life" which means probably 18months or greater of 100% support.