View Full Version : Help a Treo 600 User decide what device to get

Cipr0
09-15-2004, 02:34 PM
The topic was not exactly clear let me describe my wishes. I want a device that I can leave in my dedicated home theater to use as a master remote and a device to surf from while watching movies, sports etc.

Surfing from the Treo 600 is awful, anyone who tells you otherwise is just not being honest. Most web pages don’t work, or are formatted so badly they are worthless.

Since I, like many of you suffer from the inability to just “watch” TV, I really want a device to use while I am sitting around.

The must haves for this device
• Consumer IR or ability to have add on device to enable it to act as master remote with good range.
• Wifi – for surfing while vegging out
• I would like a pretty high rez device.

I wont be using it for much more than that….I am stuck with the Treo 600 as my primary PDA because of the corporate email connectivity while traveling across the country.

That’s about it…

Thoughts? And thanks for taking the time to read…

Cip

ignar
09-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Since you want a high-res screen (VGA) and consumer level IR, I think your only bet is Fusitsu Siemens PocketLoox 720. Unfortunately 720 is not available in the US, so you will need to order it from Europe. Otherwise you may want to wait and see if Dell loads CIR on its X50.

Cipr0
09-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the response.

What if VGA was not a requirement.....would you have a recomendation there?

Thanks in advance,

Cip

maximus
09-16-2004, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the response.

What if VGA was not a requirement.....would you have a recomendation there?

Thanks in advance,

Cip

hp ipaq2210. It is not the latest and the greatest .. but it has a good price/performance ratio.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,32298&sid=a50b43daba1814f934ea63173302b807

tourdewolf
09-16-2004, 10:56 PM
I don't know how you feel about the keyboard but, being a current treo user (3 generations) I would recommend the ipaq h4355.

I was a palm user for many years and coulld easily avg 20-30 wpm on the originaly grafitti, but after switching to the treo with the keyboard I find it very difficult to go back to handwriting. Not to mention PPC handwriting recoginiton software pales in comparison.

I have earnestly tried to become proficient with almost every input type on the PPC without ever reachling, even closely, the speed of the keyboard. Granted the HP keyboard isn't as well integrated into the apps as the treo (not even close) but it functions well enough and the keys are pretty well organized, as long as you keep the stylus between a couple of fingers all works pretty well.

The real bummer is that most of the new devices, with all thier cool features, do not have an integrated keyboard. :cry:

Cipr0
09-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Ya I could not give up the keyboard for biz use...but this device is simply a remote/websurfing tool to keep me from getting board while I watch tv or movies.

The wife makes me watch her chick flicks and gets pissy when I pull out the laptop....

Cip

tourdewolf
09-17-2004, 07:44 PM
I don't work or HP or anything but just to add another plug for the h4355 is tremendous battery life.
I can watch two full length movies (betaplayer) and the battery is still 1/4 charged. Also I can do ~4 hours internet while listening to music (pocket player). The battery on this thing is hard to beat. FWIW

I just wish my laptop would fair so well. :cry: