View Full Version : Dell X50/X50v – Bluetooth Qualified & Delayed

Jonathon Watkins
09-14-2004, 01:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts&Details=Yes&ProductID=1960' target='_blank'>http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Templa...&ProductID=1960</a><br /><br /></div>Duncan's data digging has brought forth more results since the <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31834&">last time</a>. A <a href="https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=467639&native_or_pdf=pdf">new letter</a> on the FCC website requests now requests confidentiality for the External Photos, Internal Photos, Test Setup Photos and User Manual until the 8th of November. The original confidentiality date was September the 24th 2004, so this looks like a six week delay. There's also an updated <a href="https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=467640&native_or_pdf=pdf">label placement picture</a>, which is now a drawing with slightly more info than the original photo.<br /><br />Meanshile at the <a href="http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Template2.cfm?LinkQualified=QualifiedProducts&Details=Yes&ProductID=1960">Bluetooth Qualification Program Website</a>, Duncan turned up even more info about the X50/X50v (including that new product number). It looks like the Bluetooth version is 1.2 and that the following BT profiles are supported: Headset, Dial-up Networking, Service Discovery Application, Generic Object Exchange, Object Push, FTP, Basic Printing and Personal Area Network. Looks like a decent set really. Shame about the extra wait, I really like the way the X50 is shaping up. 8)

James Fee
09-14-2004, 01:57 AM
I love this, we are using the FCC to determine release dates.

I say hogwash!

Nothing has changed and the release date is still early October. The day I believe a FCC website for a release date is the day I've had too many shots of tequila (for the record, I've only had one today).

Jonathon Watkins
09-14-2004, 01:59 AM
I love this, we are using the FCC to determine release dates.

It has proved accurate in the past.....

Lets just wait and see. If it does launch in early October then I'm not complaining! :wink:

telengard
09-14-2004, 02:23 AM
The Dell looks nice, but I am still waiting for the hx4705. eCost is now telling me Oct 4th is when they are getting them....Oh well, I guess I will just wait and see.

Telengard

Jonathon Watkins
09-14-2004, 02:27 AM
The Dell looks nice, but I am still waiting for the hx4705. eCost is now telling me Oct 4th is when they are getting them....Oh well, I guess I will just wait and see.

I guess we will. Welcome Telengard, and may your wait not be a long one. :wink:

Jeff00000168
09-14-2004, 02:28 AM
Great news! This is my first post. I'm glad to be a part of the Pocket PC Thoughts community! Can't wait to get my hands on the X50!

hsharma
09-14-2004, 02:42 AM
Does anybody know if the new Dell PPC will have phone capability or can one buy a module and use it as a cell phone? Thanks

Jonathon Watkins
09-14-2004, 02:45 AM
Great news! This is my first post. I'm glad to be a part of the Pocket PC Thoughts community! Can't wait to get my hands on the X50!

Great to haveyou on board Jeff00000168. :D

Make sure you get your X5 site ready for the arrival of it's younger sibling, the X50). :wink:

Duncan
09-14-2004, 03:14 AM
I've updated the VGA Pocket PC comparison chart (see my sig below) to take into account the new confirmed detail that the X50 has Bluetooth version 1.2 - the Toshiba e830 details have been updated as well.

Jonathon Watkins
09-14-2004, 03:34 AM
I've updated the VGA Pocket PC comparison chart (see my sig below) to take into account the new confirmed detail that the X50 has Bluetooth version 1.2 - the Toshiba e830 details have been updated as well.

Good, good. It's what we look to you for Duncan. (Along with good leads, good humour and good discussions and debates). :way to go:

jnunn
09-14-2004, 04:36 AM
I have not noticed Dell's comment about the size of this device. If you want some good geek fun then you can calculate two of the three dimensions from the image in the link:
1. Print both pages of the PDF. The first page is 1:1 and you can verify that the label is 34.5 x 50.8 mm. I used a pair of calipers.
2. Measure same two dimension of the label on the second page.
width: 31.85
height: 56.58
3. Calculate scaling ratio from the label measures:
width: 34.5/31.7 = 1.09
height: 50.8/46.4 = 1.09 nice double check
4. Measure the device on the second page:
width: 66.0
height: 107.5
5. apply the ratio:
width: 66.0 x 1.09 = 72mm
height: 107.5 x 1.09 = 117mm

Of course, we should restrict ourselves two significant figures here and that gives:
width: 73mm or 2.9 inches
height: 118mm or 4.7 inches

If I were a more diligent then I would probably have already have read these numbers somewhere ...

maximus
09-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Good, good. It's what we look to you for Duncan. (Along with good leads, good humour and good discussions and debates

Yeah, sometimes he made me forgot that he is a looxer. :mrgreen:

david291
09-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Duncan, you include the non-Wifi X50 in your VGA PPC table. I thought only the WiFi version of the X50 had VGA. Am I misinformed? Please tell me I'm wrong, and you're right.

Duncan
09-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Duncan, you include the non-Wifi X50 in your VGA PPC table. I thought only the WiFi version of the X50 had VGA. Am I misinformed? Please tell me I'm wrong, and you're right.

The table is made up of information from three types of source - official documents, the FCC and information fom trustworthy reviews. That's why I refuse to add any of the other circulating details for the X50 (after all - which set do I believe?).

After looking at the FCC docs I can see that there will be a Bluetooth only X50 and there will be a QVGA X50 - but it really is by no means clear whether the BT only model will be VGA or QVGA or both. I put the X50 BT entry in, therefore, as a placeholder only... I think it is fairly clear that it is a tenuous entry at best (at least I hope it is?). :)

upplepop
09-14-2004, 03:38 PM
If you want some good geek fun then you can calculate two of the three dimensions from the image in the link:
width: 73mm or 2.9 inches
height: 118mm or 4.7 inches

I hope that's accurate because that's a really nice size! That would make it one of the smaller new VGA PPCs.