View Full Version : Connect to Internet through Activesync?

preechrboy
09-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Is there anyway for me to connect to the internet through my cradle? I've read you can with other pocket pc's through Activesync...but I can't find any tutorials about the Ipaq 1945.

My laptop connects through DSL through a wireless setup...but I don't have a wireless SDcard for my Ipaq yet...(maybe for Christmas).

Can somebody help me?
I think I just don't have a clue on how to set up "my connections".

bnycastro
09-14-2004, 06:07 AM
You can do this via Bluetooth (tried and tested) or via IR (this I haven't tried):

First install the BT software on your desktop. Go into settings or configuration and check which COM the Bluetooth serial port uses (mine uses COM9) now.

Open Activesync on your desktop> Connection Settings
Check Allow serial cable or infrared connection to this com port:
From the drop down choose the COM that the BT serial port uses (i.e. COM9)

Now on your pocket pc start BT. Then start BT Manager.
tap NEW then scroll down to Activesync via Bluetooth tap next and follow the instructions (actually the instructions are the ones above :)) choose your desktop and complete the setup.

After you finish the wizard a shortcut for this connection will be in your BT Manager just tap and hold and selet connect and the iPAQ will do the rest :)

Good luck

Darius Wey
09-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Ensure that the Pass Through options found in the main options page of ActiveSync is set to "The Internet", rather than "Work".

preechrboy
09-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Alas, and therein is the problem. I don't have bluetooth on my laptop. I did find a program on the internet called ThunderHawk which allows me to surf the internet while synced to my laptop; however, I do not want to subscribe to their 'services'. I pay enough for my DSL on the Laptop, I'm not about to pay just so I can surf on my Ipaq when my computer is 2 foot away!

I was hoping there'd be some "loopholes' or tips that would help me...if it's not possible, it's no big loss. It just would have been nice to have known.

bnycastro
09-15-2004, 02:14 AM
I see a bt dongle is a good invesment IMHO... but if you're getting a wifi card anyway you might not want to bother :)