View Full Version : NB Q/Help Me : Dead/non-charging Backup Battery HP 1910

jemer99
09-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Sorry about the newbie question, just got a HP 1910 from a friend and the NiHM internal backup battery is at 0% and won't recharge...

Has anyone else ever seen this?

Is there a place I can buy the battery and change it myself (even though it's supposedly non-user replaceable (which suxs!))...

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

bnycastro
09-14-2004, 06:13 AM
Sorry about the newbie question, just got a HP 1910 from a friend and the NiHM internal backup battery is at 0% and won't recharge...

Has anyone else ever seen this?

Is there a place I can buy the battery and change it myself (even though it's supposedly non-user replaceable (which suxs!))...

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Is it still in warranty? If it is take it in for service so you don't void it. I wouldn't advise you to open up an iPAQ though even if the warranty has expired :)

newst
09-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Who told you that the battery is not user replaceable? There is a small slider switch on the right side of the case. That releases the battery door, and the battery just pops out.

You can still buy 1910 batteries directly from HP, Part Number FA114A. You can also buy them on line through other Ipaq suppliers and there are a lot available on Ebay.

bnycastro
09-15-2004, 02:20 AM
Who told you that the battery is not user replaceable? There is a small slider switch on the right side of the case. That releases the battery door, and the battery just pops out.

You can still buy 1910 batteries directly from HP, Part Number FA114A. You can also buy them on line through other Ipaq suppliers and there are a lot available on Ebay.

I think he means the back up battery not the main one? or is the backup battery also user replaceable?

newst
09-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Frankly, I don't know if the original question was about the main or backup battery. If it is the backup battery causing the problem, it isn't user replaceable.

If that is the situation I would contact PocketPC Techs at http://www.pocketpctechs.com/default.asp They do good work at reasonable prices, provide fast service, and keep the customer well informed of what's going on.

Can't recommend them highly enough.

jemer99
09-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Thanks all,

It is the backup battery... The internal NiHm, not the Lion that has the little switch and battery door....

Frankly I don't actually know where the backup battery is, but I am fairly technical and handy and how hard could it be to take apart an ipaq? I've seen websites that sell new lcd displays, cases, button, but none seem to sell the internal backup battery (except one place in Europe, and I am not sure about them)...

I was wondering if anyone else has ever tried to replace this, or if there was some way to fix it. I hear that all nihm batteries have this fault and if you let it drain all the way to 0% it will never charge again. (that sucks big-time) They should really warn the user about that in the guide.

As for warranty, I bought it from a friend of mine, so I highly doubt that it is still under warranty...

Thanks for the repair guys website, but it seems that they don't do anything about the 1910s (at least there is no link to 1910s on the website)

Thanks again all,
still looking for the battery...
Jerry

newst
09-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Jerry,

Send PPCTechs an email-I know they do things that aren't listed on the website. The 1910 has been out of production so long they may just not think that listing 1910 repairs would drum up enough business.

I stopped using my 1910 twice, allowing the backup battery to die both times. However I revived it again just a week ago and it's working great with just a normal charge up.

It may not be the latest tech but if you don't need blazing speed it's still a great PDA.