View Full Version : Pass-through and Windows 2003 Domains

Nutworked
09-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Hi all,

I'm using an XDA II. My desktop PC at home is running XP, and connects via ethernet cable to a server machine running Windows 2003 Server, set up as a Windows Domain Controller. The server is attached to the internet via ethernet card (no USB here) going to cable tv set-top box (broadband). The server uses NAT routing to pass internet to XP desktop machine. The XP machine gets its IP from the server, which is also a DHCP server. No third party software exists in terms of the network/firewall, it's all the bundled stuff with Windows.

My problem is getting the internet working on my XDA II, attached via the USB cradle to the client PC. There's no proxy, just NAT routing. Is it neccessary to plug the cradle into the server? I don't really want to, as I use Outlook on the client PC. If I can get it working with USB, I'll buy a Bluetooth dongle.

The reason I've got this set-up at home is 'cos I'm studying MCSE (God help me), but I'm not too far into it yet, and still a bit clueless on certain issues. I'd like to be able to browse the net lying in bed with the PDA :) .

Penny for any network admin's thoughts? I wonder if it's a port-mapping thing but I have no idea how the USB feed works. I've noticed the words 'TCP to UDP' appear at top of my PDA, guess thats something to do with it.

Thx very much :)

OSUKid7
09-13-2004, 09:01 PM
If your XP machine with the USB cradle can access the Internet, your PDA should be able to connect too. Make sure you enable pass through in ActiveSync on your desktop.

Hmm...if you want to "browse the net lying in bed with the PDA," you're gonna need some sort of wireless solution (bluetooth or WiFi) anyway.

The only thing I can think of is a problem with NAT turned off.

Good luck on your MCSE! Hopefully some others can help you solve this problem.

drowe
09-13-2004, 09:04 PM
Plugged in like that you should be able to surf while the PPC is plugged into the cradle. If you have a WiFi network, you can surf from the privacy of your bed, with a little additional work. By default the PPC will get an address from whatever DHCP server is handing them out. That is the same setup I use at the office.

I don't have a XDA II, but I don't think it would be different. I may be wrong, It's been known to happen :oops: