View Full Version : This is So Cool

Jon Westfall
09-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Ok, a few days ago I posted asking if anyone knew of a bluetooth headset or speaker that could output to a 3.5 mm jack? Well, I found one today!

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=253719&prmenbr=126&accessories_cgrfnbr=22&zipcode=

The Motorola HF800 is a Bluetooth Speaker. It also includes a mic, but is designed to be used when you don't want a heaset (i.e. in a car, on a lanyard, etc...). It supports the hands-free profile (and headset) and the best part is that it has a 2.5mm jack to (as they put it) hook in an additional headset. Using a standard 3.5mm to 2.5mm jack adapter, I now can beam bluetooth music from my pocket PC to the speaker, relaying it than to ANYTHING that can take a 3.5mm input. Now the possibilities are endless!

* Listening to music / audiobooks in my cadillac through the casette adapter.

* Listening to music in my friend's Ion through his 3.5mm hookup for XM satillite radio.

* Listening to music on a good speaker system through a line-in input.

All without having any wires from my PPC to the speaker.

And as a plus, the speaker is pretty good quality too. I picked mine up for $74.99 at Circuit City, however Motorola & Radioshack charge around $119 for the thing!

Just thought I'd post on my cool new toy.

freitasm
09-12-2004, 12:30 AM
You might want to look at our review of the Bluetake Hi-Phono Bluetooth Audio Kit (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3124). It's a real super audio station, with connections for speakers, hi-fi receivers, DVD or what else. And of course it works with a Pocket PC as well...

Jon Westfall
09-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Yea, I saw that. I needed something small though, self contained that could slip into my everpresent backpack.

Jon.

freitasm
09-12-2004, 08:32 PM
You're right then. The kit is really for home use, since it requires power, and it's not small (I mean, compared with just a plug).

scubascott
09-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Where did you get that price? I just checked my local CC and they have it for $119 :(

Jon Westfall
09-22-2004, 01:49 AM
I think it was on sale the week I grabbed it up (Nice sale price too). I'd keep an eye on nextag or pricegrabber for it, however I have to be honest - the $75 is the best I saw and Circuit City was the only place that had it. Hope you have some luck locating it.

scubascott
09-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Oh, that figures.

I did do a pricegrabber search and the lowest I found was about $90, I will keep looking.

Have you been using it? Do you still like/recommend it?